Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
bigmack83

Default List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Many threads discuss a few perks here and there for their specific character. I want to get a list going of Perks characters have used and GM's allowed in thier games. I mostly want this to be just a list of Perks people have used. I dont mind some debate. Anyways Here is my a few Perks I have used for Characters. Remember, perks have absolutely no combat benefits, even remotely close to them

1) Always gets his money
Money and change you have will never get stuck in any kind of machine. ATM, vending machine, or otherwise. This includes cards, as long as the money is there there are never any problem getting approved. This is more for comedy relief especially when other people get their money stuck in a vending machine. you walk right up and use it no problem

2) Finds random things
when you are looking for something and cant find it (roll fails) you still find some sort of random useless (in combat) item that may be beneficial in some other way. Whether you knew you had it or not. Reaching into your pocket for a pen but you pull out something else

3) Always has X
when someone needs something you always have it. If all of your money was supposed to be in a bank and are caught in a sticky situation you manage to always seem to have a $5 bill on you.

4) Always has a quick change of clothes
if for some reason your clothes get torn up you always have a mysterious set of clean clothes (or uniform) on you. Not only that but as long as nobody is looking you seem to magically change into them in a matter of seconds (maybe 1 or 2). If you are caught hostage and escape only wearing your underwear you can step into another room or when they find you, you somehow have a change of clothes.

anyways you get the idea. I will post more when i come across them or think of them. so what do you have?
bigmack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

5) Weapon License: You can carry and use one weapon that would normally be illegal for someone to carry under local laws (i.e., an LC 2 weapon even if they are normally restricted to police and military forces).

This should probably be restricted to CR-2 items - no thermonuclear grenades.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
bigmack83

Wouldn't that still be a limited advantage? Still seems pretty beneficial combat wise since you have a more powerful weapon. Just would have a lot of limitations on it. Nonetheless if limited enough could prove to be a nice perk
bigmack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Daigoro

6) Fake ID and Passport
Good enough to get you out of being pulled over or getting through immigration even if you're wanted. Stands up to casual observation, but might be blown if anyone decides to do some deeper investigation.

If you wanted a Jason Bourne-style suite of fake passports for a range of nationalities, that would be a more significant advantage though.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro
6) Fake ID and Passport
Good enough to get you out of being pulled over or getting through immigration even if you're wanted. Stands up to casual observation, but might be blown if anyone decides to do some deeper investigation.

If you wanted a Jason Bourne-style suite of fake passports for a range of nationalities, that would be a more significant advantage though.
This sounds like an illegal Alternate Identity rather than a Perk, IMO.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Yeah, perhaps a limited one if it gives a bonus to skill rolls to discover that it's a fake identity, but definitely not a 1 point Perk.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
tg_ambro

why don't perks have combat use? I know of some perks that have combat use, like Weapon Bond, it's in martial arts and the first DF book, it gives a +1 to a weapon skill for a particular weapon, sounds pretty useful in combat.
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
zorg
Experimental Subject

There seems to be quite some interest in Perks. I guess Gurps Power Ups: Perks will find a warm welcome, judging from
this,
this,
this,
this,
this
and this thread.

Oh, and this one, even though it's about shticks.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Depends. If it won't stand up to a background check (i.e. a few calls to confirm what's on the paper) than it's basically just equipment which could be a perk.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

7) Can run in high heels at full speed without penalty or accident. A Perk for all the would-be Linda Carter types out there. (Of course, the opposing -1 Quirk for "damsels in distress" of both genders would be "trips and falls after running 10 yards at full speed, regardless of footwear.")

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, perks