Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Tim Kauffman

Default Playmats questions...

Are Playmats 1, 2 and 3 all 24"x24"?

Will the final versions all have the same number of hexes in them?

I ask because upon closer look, I noticed PM 1 is 17 x 15 , PM 2 is 19 x 17 hexes, and PM 3 is 17 x 16 hexes.

The only way it seems PM 2 can have those extra hexes is if it does not have half hexes for some of the rows.

Which brings me to the other question...will all the Playmats have half hexes around all the maps edges so they can be used modularly?
I ask because I noticed on PM 2 the 17 hex row side edges are not half hexes like on map 1. I'm assuming this is just because the way the map images were made and they don't exactly represent half hexes around all edges, even though they have them, but I wanted to be sure.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 10-02-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Playmats questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
Are Playmats 1, 2 and 3 all 24"x24"?

Will the final versions all have the same number of hexes in them?
The posted artwork for Ogre Playmat M2 and Ogre Playmat M3 are not 100% final. And yes, all three designs are physically the same size.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The posted artwork for Ogre Playmat M2 and Ogre Playmat M3 are not 100% final. And yes, all three designs are physically the same size.
But not geomorphic?
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopagus View Post
But not geomorphic?
Correct. When M1 was the only mat in the series, the question was asked and the reply was that manufacturing tolerances aren't tight enough...sometimes you'll get a half-hex, sometimes you'll get a quarter-hex, sometimes you'll get a 3/4-hex, etc.

They can be made to with overlays and such...have a look at M1 South / M3 North, which should only need a couple roads and a couple forests/clears...but as of the last official statement, the G/S series are designed to tile cleanly, the M series is not.

On the bright side, the M series gives them the opportunity to do a wider variety of maps due to not being beholden to a fixed border [All G maps share the same outermost ring of hexes, as do all S maps...it's what enables them to tile].
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Tim Kauffman

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

...KEEP THOSE TREAD UNITS ROLLING...
Old 10-02-2018, 11:14 PM   #6
Tim Kauffman

I just noticed the PM 2 shows it being 19 x 17 hexes. If my calculations are correct, the "zig-zag" row of 19 hexes is one hex too many to fit on a 24"x24" map and the 17 hexes in the straight row is one hex too many to fit.

I was interested in seeing the most amount of hexes that a 24"x24" map would contain and the most hexes that can fit are 18 hexes in a "zig-zag" row and 16 in a straight row. Unless I'm mistaken.

24"x24" is a nice map size template and I am challenging myself to see what sort of Scenario Maps I can come up with that would fit on a 24"x24" Map...

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 10-04-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
They can be made to with overlays and such...have a look at M1 South / M3 North, which should only need a couple roads and a couple forests/clears...but as of the last official statement, the G/S series are designed to tile cleanly, the M series is not.
I'm really glad SJGames found a technology and price point that gets us new maps, but it does seem like a missed opportunity.

... or a scenario design challenge.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
I'm really glad SJGames found a technology and price point that gets us new maps, but it does seem like a missed opportunity.

... or a scenario design challenge.
Agreed on the new maps...I would love to see G4/S4 and up too, but given the price point involved in producing thick mounted maps, I imagine those are going to be few, far between, and entirely dependent on the outcome of the Battlefields KS. For that matter, I would also love for the entire G/S line to be released on poster paper...a nice compromise for those just getting in with O6E or the Battle Box.

As long as tiling some maps along some edges remains easy enough [namely, that I can clean up any half-and-half with what's in O6E, Reinforcements, and Battlefields...while I do have one, and I'm not opposed to making my own if needed, building around "owns an ODE" severely limits the potential customer base], I'll be content.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #9
Tim Kauffman

...here is the 3 Scenario collection of my FanMade OGRE BATTLEFIELDS Maps made in the SCENARIO CREATOR and are formatted within the official 24"x24" size M-style Playmats all of which are ready to play on STEAM!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/114841403769/
Old 10-05-2018, 06:04 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Short run playmat printing is not accurate enough to exactly geomorph the designs. Using overlays, you could clean up the edges a bit.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote