Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: Using Controllable Disadvantage [Perks]

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Uh... Controllable Disadvantage absolutely is available for physical disadvantages. It's just listed in the "Physical Perks" section.

"You can inflict one specific physical disadvantage on yourself by making a HT roll, at -1 per additional attempt per hour. This must be an easily faked problem: breaking wind at will to get Bad Smell, talking strangely to emulate Disturbing Voice, dislocating your shoulder to simulate the effects of One Arm, and so on. Epilepsy is off-limits – it already includes similar mechanics." - PU2:13
I missed that too, we should totally give them distinct names like CPD/CMD. I guess there's no CSD controllable social disadvantages though, that's why I skipped Enemy.

I suppose you could take "requires (attribute) roll" enhancements to float those perks to the other attribute (Will roll to fart, HT roll to Clueless) but you'd round the 1.2 cost up to 2 unless there was some kind of -20% limitation to balance it out...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #12
AlexanderHowl

Interesting, Controllable Disadvantage (Alternate Form) is a possibility, if you use the uncontrollable form rules from Horror. I guess it would serve as an emergency 'berserk' button, with the character turning into a bestial entity when they have no other choice. While it would not be a great idea to turn into a monstrous cannibalistic wolfman under normal circumstances, it would be a nasty surprise when captured by your enemies.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:38 PM   #13
Anthony

I would say controlled disadvantage (uncontrollable x) is automatically invalid.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:24 AM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would say controlled disadvantage (uncontrollable x) is automatically invalid.
You could say that, but canonically you'ld be wrong.

Flashbacks are uncontrollable and yet they're listed as one of the examples for the Controllable Disadvantage Perk.

In fact, the one Disadvantage that can be triggered at Will, Berserk, is explicitly off limits.

Further, I'd go out on a limb and say that Berserk is the only Disad in Basic that is self-triggerable, all the others are either Always On, or have Self-Control rolls that are out of the Players hands... so I have no idea what you mean by "uncontrollable disadvantage" as they are all ('cepting Berserk) uncontrollable.

[EDIT]
Shadow Form. Right... so I'd say Advantages that are Disadvantages only because they cannot be turned off or Disadvantages that are self-triggerable already, are ineligible for the Controllable Disadvantage Perk.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by evileeyore; 10-23-2019 at 04:32 AM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #15
AlexanderHowl

Yes, Shadow Form would be an exception because the disadvantage is that you are always in Shadow Form. The disadvantage in Alternate Form is that you have no control over the actions of the Alternate Form, and the Alternate Form is your Enemy, meaning that your only options are on and off. It is a bit like the early Hulk.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
You could say that, but canonically you'ld be wrong.
I mean, when the name of the disadvantage includes uncontrollable...
Old 10-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #17
PTTG

I generally feel that it might be more in the spirit of things to get the useful traits of disadvantages with their negative traits as Nuisance Effects. Though I suppose that the ability to bloomp out like a life raft is more simply written as "Controllable Disadvantage: Fat."
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I mean, when the name of the disadvantage includes uncontrollable...
It's like it's controllable until it isn't...

Mechanically isn't it something like you make a Will/HT roll hourly with a cumulative -1 to stay in the state?

But once you actually turn it on, are you locked-in for the full hour until your next roll comes and you can opt to lose on purpose?

If you can opt out at any time then I see the point.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #19
AlexanderHowl

In the case of a disadvantageous Alternate Form, your character becomes an Enemy NPC under the control of the GM, so it is up to the GM when they switch it off and return control to you.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #20
Toptomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Controllable Fanaticism (Extreme Fanaticism) could give you a bonus to resist brainwashing
I would dispute that this one is possible, since a Controllable Disadvantage is controllable by *you*, and once you become an extreme fanatic you don't want to stop being one, because you're an extreme fanatic.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote