Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #51
fredtheobviouspseudonym
 
Join Date: May 2007
Default 3rd ed Low Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins
I've never seen any RPG stats for junks, anywhere. However, as I look at the design, they seem some of the most seaworthy vessels ever built.
Had, IIRC, a large & a small junk and some Arab ships as well.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #52
nik1979
 
nik1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philippines, Makati
Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Great Write up icelander!

I wish I saw the earlier discussion when I was running a fall of constantinople. I was wondering why the fantasy stats of the galley weren't making sense compared to all those I could get my hands on (Other than osprey books, those stats online etc.).

I had several naval battles and needed some good sets of stats to set up a "Sid Meier's Pirates" style of turn based ship combat. In the post mortem, I found that players liked the ship combat and the mix of naval and boarding tactics. The challenges in naval tactics, character athleticism (balance, jumping, and movement), Close Combat, and Resource management (time, labor, and supplies) could be better systematized for greater enjoyment of the players and further simplified for GMs.
__________________
GMing Blog
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #53
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979
Great Write up icelander!

I wish I saw the earlier discussion when I was running a fall of constantinople. I was wondering why the fantasy stats of the galley weren't making sense compared to all those I could get my hands on (Other than osprey books, those stats online etc.).
Well, I have little or no knowledge of galleys. I've been researching though, and I hope to include a section on both in my finished work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979
I had several naval battles and needed some good sets of stats to set up a "Sid Meier's Pirates" style of turn based ship combat. In the post mortem, I found that players liked the ship combat and the mix of naval and boarding tactics. The challenges in naval tactics, character athleticism (balance, jumping, and movement), Close Combat, and Resource management (time, labor, and supplies) could be better systematized for greater enjoyment of the players and further simplified for GMs.
The Chase rules could be modified for, eh, well chases. I'm not sure about a combat system. I'll take a look at Spaceships and see if anything from it could be plundered.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #54
tshiggins
 
tshiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Re: 3rd ed Low Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym
Had, IIRC, a large & a small junk and some Arab ships as well.
What had those?
__________________
--
MXLP:9 [JD=1, DK=1, DM-M=1, M(FAW)=1, SS=2, Nym=1 (nose coffee), sj=1 (nose cocoa), Maz=1]
"Some days, I just don't know what to think." -Daryl Dixon.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #55
Agemegos
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins
I've never seen any RPG stats for junks, anywhere. However, as I look at the design, they seem some of the most seaworthy vessels ever built.
They have that reputation.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:24 AM   #56
nik1979
 
nik1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philippines, Makati
Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins
This is very well done.

I've never seen any RPG stats for junks, anywhere. However, as I look at the design, they seem some of the most seaworthy vessels ever built.

I know you've apparently focused on European craft, thus far; what do you think of tackling the Chinese vessels?

Speaking of Chinese ships, Zheng He ships would find many uses in Fantasy Games because of the tall tales regarding their size.
__________________
GMing Blog
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:29 AM   #57
fredtheobviouspseudonym
 
Join Date: May 2007
Default Re: 3rd ed Low Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins
What had those?
Per subject line the GURPs 3rd edition "Low Tech."
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #58
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979
Speaking of Chinese ships, Zheng He ships would find many uses in Fantasy Games because of the tall tales regarding their size.
You're refering to the 9-masted junks refered to in various accounts, right?
__________________
"Life ... is an Oreo cookie." - J'onn J-onzz, 1991

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #59
tshiggins
 
tshiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Re: 3rd ed Low Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym
Per subject line the GURPs 3rd edition "Low Tech."
<Reaches over, pulls Low Tech off the shelf.>
<Pages through it.>

Didn't think so. The latest Chinese vessel with stats is the shachuan, which pre-dates the junks by several hundred years. The junks evolved out of that vessel, but it existed circa 800 c.e., whereas the proper junks didn't exist for another 200-300 years.
__________________
--
MXLP:9 [JD=1, DK=1, DM-M=1, M(FAW)=1, SS=2, Nym=1 (nose coffee), sj=1 (nose cocoa), Maz=1]
"Some days, I just don't know what to think." -Daryl Dixon.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #60
nik1979
 
nik1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philippines, Makati
Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
You're refering to the 9-masted junks refered to in various accounts, right?

Yup. But I've read in wiki that it is contested that these ships really existed. I've read the same things about the structural limitations of wood for ship building in another source. Since (in my readings) there are no hard facts (or good sources) about it, it would suit fantasy quite well for the overly cirtical skeptics.

Zheng He's Fleet's other ships seems interesting though. They seem to have more accessible sources which makes them doubly more likely to get GURPSified.
__________________
GMing Blog
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech, ships

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.