Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 06-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default June 19, 2020: Monica Stephens

June 19, 2020: Monica Stephens

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
pestigor

Default Re: June 19, 2020: Monica Stephens

I'm sorry for your loss. I remember her from a convention appearance SJ made, I remember thinking, "that person running around getting everything together for this SJ games event, she must be the one really running things, not Steve."
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #3
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestigor View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. I remember her from a convention appearance SJ made, I remember thinking, "that person running around getting everything together for this SJ games event, she must be the one really running things, not Steve."
That is a good way to describe Monica. I only knew her briefly, but what I saw was a dynamic woman who fit right in with old-guard gamers like SJ and Loren Wiseman (may he, too, rest in peace). She was no flibbertigibbet given a do-nothing post in her partner's organization; if something needed doing, she got right in there and did it. A quick peek at the masthead of nearly any SJ Games product of the past three decades shows just how many hats she wore.

And there's this: in all the time she was with SJ Games, I never heard a bad word about her. Not once. And all of us involved in this biz have had crap talked about us one time or another - sometimes quite rightly, sometimes just because. That really says something about her.

Her loss is a loss to us all, and my heart goes out to SJ. If there is anything we can do for her memory, please let us know.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:49 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

I never met her, but I've been involved with organised SF fandom long enough to know of Steve's involvement there. She was there too, getting stuff done in the organised chaos that is a Worldcon.

We are all poorer for her passing.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
Thamior

My condolences
Thamior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:19 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I started working full-time for SJ Games in what will be . . . wow, 25 years ago on July 5. The original plan was that I would move to Austin, but that fell through. (I harbor no regrets, though, as I love Montréal.) So my status was changed to "remote employee," and my trip to Austin was converted from "moving" to "meeting the coworkers."

From when I arrived until when I left, Monica was a champion. If I needed something, she made sure that I got it; if I found some procedure unclear, she explained it. I was assigned a little office for the duration of my visit, and she stopped by at the end of every workday to ask how things were going and whether there was anything she could do.

After I returned home, Monica stayed in touch. It was thanks to her that I learned the ropes of working for SJ Games. While Steve Jackson was my mentor in game design (and my benefactor, and patron) and Scott Haring was my mentor as an author, Monica was my mentor as an editor. Without her support, I wouldn't have lasted 25 years, editing hundreds of books.

My relationship with Monica was largely professional, but not entirely so. I always spent some social time with her and Steve when I was in Austin, and sometimes at cons. She was one of the only coworkers able to keep up with my . . . let's say "chattiness." And no matter how pressing work got, she never emailed or phoned without asking how I was.

Needless to say, Steve surely misses Monica the most. But I can truthfully say that I'll miss her quite a bit as well. :(
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #7
Celjabba

My condolences
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
whswhs

I exchanged e-mails with her a decade ago about a question of accounting and royalties, and she was unfailingly helpful and patient. I'm sorry to learn of her death and sad that it was so dreadfully early; and I offer my sympathies to SJ and everyone else who knew her well.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #9
JLV

My sincere condolences on your loss. Mere words cannot ever really express what you feel when this happens, but know that we have nothing but heartfelt sympathy for you in this very bad time in your life.

If it helps any, she made a BIG difference to a LOT of people; even the ones who, like me, never met her. I'm grateful that she was here.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #10
davester64

My condolences.
davester64 is offline   Reply With Quote