Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Creating Santa Claus [RPM]

Within RPM, we have the optional Path of Nonexistence, which makes the possible impossible and the impossible possible. When using Destroy Nonexistence, practitioners are capable of destroying the boundary between the possible and impossible. Since the traditional portrayal of Santa Claus is impossible, a practitioner of the Path of Nonexistence should be capable of causing Santa Claus to exist through using Lesser Destroy Nonexistence. You would probably also want to use Lesser Destroy Nonexistence to create the entire legend (Mrs. Clause, Elves, Reindeer, Workshop, etc.).

At that point, things get more than a little weird. Since everyone's version of Santa Clause is slightly different, each expression of the legend would be different. What version of Santa Claus's legend would you bring into existence through the use of Destroy Nonexistence? What abilities would you give the objects and people from the legends?

I think I would cause the entire wonderland to appear. Since the Arctic island at the North Pole would likely have an area of 10,000 square kilometers, an average vertical dimension of 5 kilometers, and an average density of 2.5, the mass would be 125 trillion metric tons (energy +35 would be sufficient). Area would probably add another +36 and a year would add +21. A total energy of 100 would probably sufficient.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Creating Santa Claus [RPM]

Why would that be Lesser, rather than Greater?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Lesser effects of Path of Emptiness effect the present while Greater effects of Path of Emptiness effect the past.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #4
edk926

Santa Claus could have a pocket dimension at the North Pole and the ability to create many Duplicates of himself.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:09 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

A pocket dimension would be an added Greater Create Crossroads, which would increase the cost by ~200 energy.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
Thamior

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
Santa Claus could have a pocket dimension at the North Pole and the ability to create many Duplicates of himself.
This is not how Santa operates. He is a single entity. He just has so powerful speed and enhanced time sense that for him the time itself stops. Though pocket dimension is fine. :)
Thamior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Anders

He has a sack with Snatcher (Permanent, +400%), though. Although it can only produce toys and candy - that's probably worth -30 or -40%.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

I'd think an even greater limitation if the toys can only be given to children.
Unless one wants Santa to use RC and other electronics personally. Perhaps in a comical "war" like the Robin Williams' movie, Toys.

Tags
character building, santa claus