Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #1211
Bruno

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
28 000 year old stone phallus found.

May have been used as a sex aid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
"The prehistoric "tool" was reassembled from 14 fragments of siltstone."
"In addition to being a symbolic representation of male genitalia, it was also at times used for knapping flints,"

Ouch, and cavemen were hardcore that just didn't give a F.
"Dammit, Grog. Stop using my stone 'tools' like that."
Of course, stone-age people invented the multi-tool. If you're going to carry something around, it's better if it has many uses rather than one specialized one. I'm a little surprised it wasn't also used with a mortar to grind grain or nuts or herbs or something.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #1212
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Of course, stone-age people invented the multi-tool. If you're going to carry something around, it's better if it has many uses rather than one specialized one. I'm a little surprised it wasn't also used with a mortar to grind grain or nuts or herbs or something.
Stone age humor: using that tool to grind nuts.
Multi-tasking need is why I don't always fully trust researchers' opinions on such objects' purposes. You use what you have not what you want or would be optimal even if it does exist somwhere else. It think many women know the off market use for rubber duckies many girls discover.
Family friendly site, so pardon my beating around the bush here.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #1213
Johan Larson

Jerusalem Syndrome is an incredibly specific but temporary bout of mental illness.

An ordinary person goes to Jerusalem and suddenly puts on a white toga, starts to sing religious songs, and makes a speech at a holy place. They have no history of mental illness, and if you get them away from Jerusalem, they return to normal.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19209...y-sick_p2.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_syndrome
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #1214
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Larson View Post
Jerusalem Syndrome is an incredibly specific but temporary bout of mental illness.
Compare Paris Syndrome, where the expectations visitors, mainly Japanese, have of a romantic city full of whimsical mime artists come crashing into the reality of dog-poo filled streets and rude Parisians, causing a panic attack.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #1215
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
As far as we know.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #1216
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_syndrome
Religious hysteria is pretty well known, I would have thought. No different than getting touched by the holy spirit, writhing on the floor, and/or speaking in tongues not uncommon among certain Christian sects in the U.S.
At least wearing robes and speaking is less likely to cause injury.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #1217
Johan Larson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Religious hysteria is pretty well known, I would have thought. No different than getting touched by the holy spirit, writhing on the floor, and/or speaking in tongues not uncommon among certain Christian sects in the U.S.
At least wearing robes and speaking is less likely to cause injury.
I think the weird bit is the specificity of the symptom. Always a toga. Always white. Only Jerusalem. Not actually crazy.
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #1218
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I think the weird bit is the specificity of the symptom. Always a toga. Always white. Only Jerusalem. Not actually crazy.
Outside of professional psychiatry, what is and is not "crazy" is purely subjective. The linked article specifically says that it's not just Jerusalem and occurs in many holy places by followers of all sorts of religions. Really just location induced psychotic breaks not indicative of any underlying mental illness necessarily.

Also, in the middle east, I would think togas make the most sense weather-wise. If visitors changed into blood red skirts, then I'd think it all unusually weird.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 06-21-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:04 AM   #1219
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Kyïv. Cyberpunk City. The war of human hackers against the panopticon of machine gods has begun.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #1220
mukibear
Banned

this is personal, not at large, but still.

the other day my father presented my with something he'd found in his yard. it was ovoid and offwhite - he enjoined me to look closer. scratched in the color was a child's cursive 'egg'. apparently, he found some kind of subfossil easter egg - there having been no easter egg hunts at his house for 40yrs. to be honest, it creeps me out - that this exactly the kind of thing a cockatrice would hatch from. do boiled eggs mineralize in certain conditions? it's very solid. i'm keeping it. if i every feel really adventurous, i might put it under a hen. inside a pentagram. just in case.
mukibear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox