Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
nick_coffin

Default Help with 'canonical' naming

A silly question, I know. But what is the canonical form of the Blessed (Heroic Feats) advantage? How would SJG or Kromm write this on a character sheet? I know that in the writers' guidelines the canonical form of Traits is "Name {levels} (parenthetical-text) [Point Cost]". Would the attribute affected be considered parenthetical-text? E.g., "Heroic Feats (DX) [10]" Or would it be more like "Blessed (Heroic Feats, DX) [10]"?
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Help with 'canonical' naming

Straight from a GURPS DFRPG pregen:

"Heroic Might +1d [9]"

Personally I'd write it as:

Blessed Heroic Feats: Might +1d [9]
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
nick_coffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Straight from a GURPS DFRPG pregen:

"Heroic Might +1d [9]"

Personally I'd write it as:

Blessed Heroic Feats: Might +1d [9]
Don't get me wrong -- I like it. But in GURPS, this advantage isn't leveled; neither are the types individually named. The Holy Warrior Holy Abilities in DFRPG might be considered a separate advantage entirely.

Following along with your DFRPG example, another possibility is "Heroic ST" or "Heroic Strength".

As to your preference: in general, GURPS seems to prefer using a named alternative over the base advantage name plus alternative. For example, it's "Crushing Attack 1d" and not "Innate Attack: Crushing, 1d". Or "Tough Skin 1" instead of "Damage Resistance: Tough Skin 1". This has made it hard for me from time to time to find the actual trait text in the rules, but c'est la vie.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
This has made it hard for me from time to time to find the actual trait text in the rules, but c'est la vie.
Which is why I write things the way I do when I make Characters. The 'GURPS' way isn't always the best way. Or even a good way. Or even, sometimes, the 'least worst way'.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
nick_coffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Which is why I write things the way I do when I make Characters. The 'GURPS' way isn't always the best way. Or even a good way. Or even, sometimes, the 'least worst way'.
But that doesn't help me if I'm intending to write it the official GURPS way. This is for a computer game aid -- I intend the output to be 'canonical' such that a GURPS author could copy and paste it into a manuscript.