Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: [Basic] So The Hulk Gets Bitten By a Werewolf Or The Multiple Alternate Form Prob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The key question is whether the Hulk turns into a normal werewolf, or if he turns into a big green gamma-powered werewolf.

In the case of a normal werewolf, that's just a standard use of alternate form. If he turns into a big green gamma-powered werewolf, that means at least one of his abilities isn't alternate form, because racial templates don't stack.
This Does Not Follow. Just because the werewolf shape uses a rather unique racial template doesn't somehow make it not a racial template. :) That's not stacking racial templates, that's just "My radioactive werewolf template happens to include everything from the Gamma Ray Mutant template and the Werewolf template"
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: [Basic] So The Hulk Gets Bitten By a Werewolf Or The Multiple Alternate Form Prob

If the werewolf and gamma hulk forms can both trigger at once, then pay full price for "Gamma Werewolf" and [15] each for the other two. Simple.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #13
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
In the case of a normal werewolf, that's just a standard use of alternate form. If he turns into a big green gamma-powered werewolf, that means at least one of his abilities isn't alternate form, because racial templates don't stack.
Besides agreeing with what Bruno just said, I'll also argue against the idea that Racial Templates don't stack. It's certainly true that the default for Alternate Form is to replace one Racial Template with another, but that need not be an absolute truth. Outside of Alternate Form, if you are a Giant and become a Vampire you most likely gain all the traits of both the Giant and the Vampire Racial Templates. Dealing specifically with Alternate Form, if you are a Pixie you might very well turn into a pixie sized werewolf, in which case you would need to create a new "pixie sized werewolf" racial template which includes traits from both the pixie and werewolf templates in the same way that you might have to create a new "Gamma Ray Mutant Hulk Werewolf" template if the Hulk can turn into a HulkWolf.

Of course, in my mind, in the situation of a HulkWolf, you would really need three Alternate Forms - a AF (Werewolf), AF (The Hulk), and AF (HulkWolf). I would even allow AF (Werewolf) to take the "Magic" Power Modifier, AF (The Hulk) to take the Super Power Modifier, and AF (HulkWolf) to take both Power Modifiers, since loss of either power source would make him unable to turn into the HulkWolf.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-11-2015 at 02:17 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
If the werewolf and gamma hulk forms can both trigger at once, then pay full price for "Gamma Werewolf" and [15] each for the other two. Simple.
Alternate Forms should never have an AF built into the Racial Template. The base form should pay the cost of all Alternate Forms, which means that a "double form/half-way form" is really just one more Alternate Form that the base character has to buy.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
Bruno

I caution against thinking of them as "stacking". It's more an opportunity for the GM to go through and merge the templates - most aren't written with an eye to being randomly applied to things, and there may be conflicting traits that the GM will have to sort out.

That said, there usually isn't THAT much that conflicts severely; you do have to watch for mental disadvantages, and morphology traits. If one template has things that modify your number of arms, and the other template assumes you're a quadruped with no arms, you might have a warning sign that you really shouldn't mix these :D
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #16
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I caution against thinking of them as "stacking".
I can agree with that; it's more of a "combining, with an eye towards fixing incompatibilities, in order to create a new Racial Template."
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Besides agreeing with what Bruno just said, I'll also argue against the idea that Racial Templates don't stack.
You only have one racial template at a time, and alternate form replaces it completely. You can't go "I have racial template A, and racial template B, and I'll use alternate form to swap out racial template A".

Incidentally, I would probably not use Alternate Form for either ability. It's really not necessary, they're both just advantage packages with Temporary Disadvantage, and two things like that stack just fine.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #18
ericbsmith

Quote:
Incidentally, I would probably not use Alternate Form for either ability. It's really not necessary, they're both just advantage packages with Temporary Disadvantage, and two things like that stack just fine.
Huh? Both The Hulk and a Werewolf are classic instances of exactly what Alternate Form was designed to address. If you're not going to use Alternate Form for designing those kinds of characters then you really are just deciding not to use Alternate Form at all.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #19
Anthony

Quote:
Huh? Both The Hulk and a Werewolf are classic instances of exactly what Alternate Form was designed to address.
Alternate Form is for racial packages. The Hulk is not a racial package, and Werewolf is quite questionable.
Quote:
If you're not going to use Alternate Form for designing those kinds of characters then you really are just deciding not to use Alternate Form at all.
Yeah, pretty much.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #20
ericbsmith

Quote:
Alternate Form is for racial packages. The Hulk is not a racial package, and Werewolf is quite questionable.
Racial Templates are any package template that the GM designs or approves of and wants to call a Racial Template. This is clearly stated in the Basic Set Campaigns under Racial Templates on p. 450. It does not need to be a template for a "Race" per se, and can explicitly be a template for such things as Vampires, Golems, Robots, or even Sentient Computer Programs.

What I will admit is less clear is that the Racial Templates as described under Alternate Form seem to be talking about a rigid Template for a "Race," when in fact they are not meant to be. The Iconic Character C31R07 clearly shows that a "Racial Template" in the context of AF can be two Robot forms, and I see nothing that suggests that you should build Robots and Golems as Racial Templates but you cannot do the same with a Werewolf or The Hulk. This is discussed in GURPS Supers and GURPS Powers in far more detail, and those books specifically mention Transforming Superheros and Werewolves, among other things, as valid uses for Alternate Form.

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much.
Then you're playing by house rules.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-11-2015 at 05:03 PM.