Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
Captain Joy

Default Re: Stealth -- does it use JUST MoS or do range penalties apply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
...Size Modifier...should be a factor...
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Traditionally the -10 you've applied to Stealth for "In Plain Sight" is applied as a +10 bonus to "uncontested" Perception checks to see things, but I think you've got the right of it for applying it as a penalty to stealth.

On this basis, perhaps the Size Modifier should be inverted and applied as a bonus to stealth?
Again, I agree (as I often do with Burno). This is the reason for my "In some cases, it's not obvious if a modifier should be applied to the Stealth roll or the Perception roll. Whatever is decided, be sure not to double dip." clause. I decided it was easier to list the potential modifiers as if they were all being applied to the Stealth roll. In practice, some of them will be applied to the Perception roll (with penalties becoming bonuses and vice versa, of course.)
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
Captain Joy

Default Re: Stealth -- does it use JUST MoS or do range penalties apply?

From a different thread, that I worried we might derailing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Seems a bit fiddly reading it, how does it work in play? The general concept you have is very good - I like the basic question being "how close can I get before I have to roll another check?"
In play, I apply the modifiers (often without spending time looking them up, meaning I wing them from memory), roll the quick contest, then make use of the Range Table. Really, the only additional complication is implementing the Range Table twice.
  1. Use the margin of success of the quick contest to determine how close the infiltrator can actually get.
  2. Use the margin of success on the stealth role to determine how close the infiltrator thinks he can get.
The result of #2 is what I tell the infiltrating PC. He then tells me how close he actually wants to approach. If that distance is not less than the result of #1, he succeeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
One way to make it a bit more player-facing is to give NPCs a passive modifier score. Something like Per-10, with a couple modifiers such as darkness and In Plain Sight. That should give a basic sight radius, and Stealth MoS pushes that inward.
I'm not sure I understand you here.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 11-28-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Improved grammar
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sense rolls, stealth