Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #101
KarlKost

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#39): Daredevil, Luck, Super Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I think it is fine to have a different opinion but it is not fine to accuse someone of "GM cheating".
Oh, please forgive me everybody. I didnt meant that as an offense. I didnt understand why would that be offensive in the first time. Perhaps you all saw it as meaning "disgerard the dice in order to harm the players"? Thats not what I meant. When I said "GM cheating", I meant the ocasional disregard of the dices in favor of the plot. Like, saving the big badie that is meant to be the always enemy, but also to avoid crippling a players leg on a silly thing (like in a critical failure from a regular fall from a small house roof). I meant that as the regular resource that is used by many GMs to keep a story flowing - like I said, thats one resource that I used myself o many ocasions, and I view it as a normal thing, I just came to the conclusion that it has more cons the pros, so I dropped it, but I dont see it as a bad thing per se.

Anyway, I just felt I should apologize for it as to not keep any bad feelings about it. I hope you may understand and forgive me.

Thanks
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #102
weby

I find luck much less cinematic than an attribute of say 17 or a countless other traits in Gurps that are not flagged as anything special.

I have definitely met people in real life that are lucky or have serendipity. They are not Gladstone Gander level of luckiness but they definitely have a lot of lucky things happen. Also there are people that just do not seemingly critically fail (and others that critically fail a lot despite being very competent)

A good example is a cousin of mine who among other things have won several times medium sums in the lotteries(10 000 eur or more at least twice and smaller sums a lot), granted he spends about 100/week on lotteries, but he is still way ahead every year not only when he won the larger sums. He has also won at least an about 30 000 euro boat, more than 10 trips and lot more from things like grocery store lotteries and similar. Then he has had events like the company he was working on wanted to reduce people from the group he worked at and were offering voluntary redundancy packages and were going to then fire people if they did not get enough volunteers and two days before the announcement he had received a call from a headhunter and in the end he ended up with the voluntary redundancy package and a new job that paid more. He also managed to buy his current house at less than 2/3 market value due to finding someone who really needed to sell right then. And so on, there are many more such events in his life.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #103
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
I didnt meant that as an offense. ... "GM cheating"
I got what you meant the first time but for future reference the term that folks usually use around here for what you meant is "GM Fudging".
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #104
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I got what you meant the first time but for future reference the term that folks usually use around here for what you meant is "GM Fudging".
Sure, but flat out calling it for what it is also perfectly fine (and for me preferable).

If your table rules say "Roll the dice and take the results come what may" and you decide to ignore the dice results in favor of some other outcome, you're cheating regardless of which side of the screen you're on.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #105
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Sure, but flat out calling it for what it is also perfectly fine (and for me preferable).

If your table rules say "Roll the dice and take the results come what may" and you decide to ignore the dice results in favor of some other outcome, you're cheating regardless of which side of the screen you're on.
The rules also state that it may be appropriate for the GM to fudge the dice rolls... so that would disqualify it as cheating.

Except I get that from page p. B497 which says it is legal but labels it as "Cheat!". So I stand corrected. >.>
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #106
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Fudging... Hum... Lets look up at the dictionary what's that... New word in english, lets see...
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #107
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Fudging... Hum... Lets look up at the dictionary what's that... New word in english, lets see...
It may not be in your dictionary in this form. It's "fake" or "falsify" but in the sense of altering a result to be what you wanted it to be.

Apparently originally a newspaper term, for a bit of filler you inserted after you set the type to make the columns line up properly.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #108
dds_ks

I once had a character with Luck and Super Luck - but the latter had an in-built cost of 8 FP to save some CP. In fact I mostly used the Super Luck for high energy spells as a cost-saver, as a critical success doesn't cost FP. Of course, I also needed a high level of Energy Reserve to make full use of it.

We had a lot of money in this campaign (running our own colony, earning salaries of more than 20.000 $ per month, of course wealth and income paid for with CP), and we had some rules about "how to find a used magic item to buy". Maybe these rules were not perfect, but especially Super Luck saved me at least half a million of $.

Generally speaking, most of my GUPRS characters have Luck, as Luck can really save your character's life. In fact I nearly never used it, as I always wanted to save it for an even more dangerous situation. So instead of once per hour, it was more like once per game session.
However, there was another character that had Luck improved so that he could use it on nearby friends. The player used this on the first die role that was a failure. So he really used it once per hour, which you could say "made maximum use of it". But if I compare, I still think Luck is a life saver, so I wouldn't use it unless it's a really really important die role.
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, daredevil, luck, super luck, [basic]