Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Desolation Road] Races

I've got a player making a Hlrrm character and I realized I wasn't very happy with my write-up of the race. So I heavily revised them to better reflect their psychology and morphology. Also I wanted them to be more snail-like aliens then simply big snails.

Hlrrm

These giant snail-like mollusks are a peaceful contemplative race. Their shell contains their large distributed brain, vital organs, mouthparts, ears and voicebox. Two retractable eyestalk/tentacles protrude from the front edge of their large muscluar “foot” and up to four manipulator tentacles can be extruded from anywhere. An adult Hlrrm has a “foot” about 1yd long, stands about 1 yd high and weighs 250 lbs

While they can hear both Subsonic and normal sounds they can only produce subsonic sounds. A device called a “Speaking Box” is typically affixed to their shells that raises the frequency of their speech to the normal range, it costs $100 5lbs and gives them Disturbing Voice.

New Traits:
Normal Hearing [5]
The Hlrrm can hear but not speak in human audible sonic registers.

Cannot Bite [-5]
The placement and structure of the Hlrrm mouth completely prevents any meaningful bite attack.

Hlrrm [8]
Attributes: IQ +1 [20]
Secondary Attribute Modifiers: Basic Speed: -5.00 [-100], Move +3 [15], HP +2 [4]; SM 0
Advantages: 360° Vision (Easy to Hit -20%, Switchable (TD: Blindness) +5%) [21], Damage Resistance 6 ( Can't Wear Armor -40%, Torso Only -10%) [15], Damage Resistance 6 (Alternate Ability(Damage Resistance) x1/5, Can't Wear Armor -40%, Not Arms or Eyestalks -10%, TD: No Legs: Sessile -50%) [2], Devotion 1 [5], Doesn't Breathe (Oxygen Absorbtion -25%) [15], Injury Tolerence (No Head, No Neck) [12], Lifting ST +2 [6], Magery 0 [5], Mathematical Ability 1 [10], Normal Hearing [5], Extended Lifespan 2 [4], Extra Arms x2 (Extra Flexible +50%, Switchable +10%) [32], Extra Arms x2 (Alternate Ability (360° Vision) x1/5, Extra Flexibility +50%, Short -50%, TD: One Eye -15%) [3], Extra Flexible Arms x2 [10], Slippery 2 [4], Subsonic Speech [0], Stretching 2 [12], Switchable Arms x2 (TD: No Manipulators -50%] [1]
Disadvantages: Bad Grip 2 [-10], Code of Honor (Be Rational, Study Empirically, Reject Irrational Ideas) [-5] Cannot Bite [-5], Combat Paralysis [-15], Increased Consumption (Water Only -50%) [-5], No Legs (Slithers) [0], Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5], Restricted Diet (Fresh Fruits and Vegetables) [-10], Weakness 1d/5min (Desiccating substances and environments;Common) [-20],
Perks: Tentacle Grip (Each extra tentacle (up to 4) applied to a one hand task eliminates -1 of the -4 penalty from Bad Grip) [1], Non-Protective Clothing [1]
Quirks: Broad-Minded[-1], Careful [-1], Humble [-1], Dithering (Quirk level Indecisive) [-1], Cannot Float [-1]
Features: Egg-Laying [0]; Enhanced Maturation (½ as fast as humans) [0]

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-09-2010 at 11:31 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #22
SonofJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
How so? Thrust for ST 18 is 1d+2, and talons normally do thrust cut/imp.
Seen to the Rocket pods the combat armors employ 1d+2 is not really terrefiying..
SonofJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofJohn View Post
Seen to the Rocket pods the combat armors employ 1d+2 is not really terrefiying..
The Heavy Darts are expensive to manufacture, requiring a ritual performed by a Regimental Philosopher and 1 dram of Quintessence per 4 rounds. Each round costs $250 and isn't going to be easily available for the Mercenary on the road. Blades, however don't need reloading.

Furthermore the claws can penetrate armor that the Darts cannot. DR 98 (or Hardened DR 49) will stop the Dart's average damage, but the claws can target chinks in armor for a AD of (10).

Besides, what do you propose instead? More ST?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #24
momothefiddler

I'm curious to know what your current party makeup is. Has anyone expressed interest in playing a Bombaxi? I consider that unlikely while also not understanding why it's unlikely, as I'd love to play one. On the other hand I once made a race with DTR that I loved that was never accepted.

I'm also interested in the Peshang. Has anyone played one? If so, has anyone played one that didn't own a suit? If so, how does the size difference affect gameplay?

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
I'm curious to know what your current party makeup is.
  • Hmmm aka "Gary" Hlrmm Magician and Graduate School Dropout.
  • Lieutenant Sha'Kavorst Peshang Mercenary Dragoon
  • Dr. Kiki Kereckeck archaeologist
  • Kim Song Human con-artist
Quote:
Has anyone expressed interest in playing a Bombaxi?
No. I did have a player briefly with a human that had been heavily modified by Bombaxi surgeons.
Quote:
I'm also interested in the Peshang. Has anyone played one?
Yes.
Quote:
If so, has anyone played one that didn't own a suit?
Sha'Kavorst is a Dragoon, but he took an ally; Contruct's Mate 2nd Class Schlass, who doesn't pilot a construct.
Quote:
If so, how does the size difference affect gameplay?
The main effect seems to be the low HP. As with most such races not being hit only goes so far. Sha'Kavorst lost an arm early in the camoaign due to damage. Fortunately Desolation Road is more of a caper type game, and there's only been a few actual fights.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #26
momothefiddler

Hlrmm and Peshang seem almost completely opposite (large, slow, wet, hard, peaceful creatures vs small, quick, dry, squishy militaristic creatures). How has this played out in your campaign? Pity this game isn't here on the fora - I'd love to read through it.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Hlrmm and Peshang seem almost completely opposite (large, slow, wet, hard, peaceful creatures vs small, quick, dry, squishy militaristic creatures). How has this played out in your campaign?
Typically Gary stays behind in prepared ritual space providing long range magical support while the other members do the dirty work. There's been a few times where that's fallen apart of course!
Quote:
Pity this game isn't here on the fora - I'd love to read through it.
I may try to write an after action report when it's over. Right now it's on hiatus, but I may restart it soon.

Tags
desolation road, racial templates