Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Pseudonym

Default Costs HP Cyclic Limitation

Powers has a limitation for Costs HP, but it doesn't have an option for cyclic... Would a fair version of Cyclic Costs HP be modifiers on modifiers?

If I did that, then a power that does 2 hp every 10 seconds for 100 seconds, would be worth about -120%. Does that sound about right?
Old 12-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Costs HP Cyclic Limitation

You would apply Reduced Duration on the power that has Costs HP. This reduces the interval from 1/minute to whatever fraction you reduce it to. In this case, you would need 1/6.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Pseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
You would apply Reduced Duration on the power that has Costs HP. This reduces the interval from 1/minute to whatever fraction you reduce it to. In this case, you would need 1/6.
That is a interesting solution to the problem. It somewhat works depending on the way you interpret the problem, but it doesn't work for my specific case. I'm copying abilities from a video game, and this power is liable to kill the player if they overcommit. Limiting the timespan to 1/6 slices gives the secret benefit that a player can renegotiate their death every 10 seconds.

The only safe way around this ability to keep from dying is doctors being ready to heal either through magic or mundane means.
(I arbitrarily chose 20 hp over 100 seconds to represent the amount that would make the death of a 0 point human character possible)
Old 12-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Anaraxes

Quote:
apply Reduced Duration
Clever, but wouldn't this also require you to activate the power six times during the minute? That's eight extra maneuvers, and possibly activation rolls, that you have to make to maintain the power for 100 seconds. (Ten 10-second activations total, compared to two standard 1-minute activations.) A considerable extra burden -- which at least puts an upper bound on how much the cyclic version should cost.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Clever, but wouldn't this also require you to activate the power six times during the minute? That's eight extra maneuvers, and possibly activation rolls, that you have to make to maintain the power for 100 seconds. (Ten 10-second activations total, compared to two standard 1-minute activations.) A considerable extra burden -- which at least puts an upper bound on how much the cyclic version should cost.
No, powers that cost HP/FP are maintained by spending again, with no maneuver required.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
Pseudonym

If having an example is helpful, this is the source ability:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/power-within
This is what I statted out:
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2015/1...er-within.html

The buff is 90 points because it is Regeneration Fast (FP) and Striking ST 8 combined.

By itself, it would be:
Power Within Buff (-80%): (Mana Sensitive -10%; Costs 2 HP, Cyclic, 10 cycles, 10 Seconds -120%; Sorcery -15%; Extended Duration, 3x +20%, Fixed Duration, 100 seconds +0%) [18]

I should probably put limitations on it to disallow Mana specific FP regeneration, but that is basically the best way I can think to stat out the concept of a power that slowly burns the character from the inside, and in return, granting the ability to use extra effort constantly and do some extra damage.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
powers that cost HP/FP are maintained by spending again
Oh, right; thanks.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
If having an example is helpful, this is the source ability:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/power-within
This is what I statted out:
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2015/1...er-within.html

The buff is 90 points because it is Regeneration Fast (FP) and Striking ST 8 combined.

By itself, it would be:
Power Within Buff (-80%): (Mana Sensitive -10%; Costs 2 HP, Cyclic, 10 cycles, 10 Seconds -120%; Sorcery -15%; Extended Duration, 3x +20%, Fixed Duration, 100 seconds +0%) [18]

I should probably put limitations on it to disallow Mana specific FP regeneration, but that is basically the best way I can think to stat out the concept of a power that slowly burns the character from the inside, and in return, granting the ability to use extra effort constantly and do some extra damage.
So if we use Backlash as a yardstick, we see that Costs HP is worth -10% per level. So HP 20 x 10% = -200%. Since that's a fixed amount - it's not resistable at all - it's going to happen you use the base value. I'd call spreading the HP cost out between -40% and -50% (using the same model as Weakness does). So yeah, between -100% and -120% is probably fair.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costs hp, cyclic, limitations