Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-20-2018, 01:52 AM   #11
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: Explosive Gems play balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Do we know that for sure? That seems too restrictive. If I did anything I would have used the standard 'rule of 5'
I kind of read this forum a lot but still seems to miss a lot. Has the 3d limit been set? Where was it set? Was it discussed long ago because I am kind of new to the forum?
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #12
Tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I think explosive gems should be deleted.
That seems a bit harsh. They definitely need clarification and perhaps a die limit. Perhaps I'm overly enamored of them since I once used them in a campaign that had Borribles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borrible_Trilogy) in it. The favored weapon of a Borrible is a "catapult", typically called a slingshot. Kind of cool to up their damage with some explosive gems.

Like anything, with a bad GM nothing works and with a good GM most things work.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #13
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenex View Post
That seems a bit harsh. They definitely need clarification and perhaps a die limit. Perhaps I'm overly enamored of them since I once used them in a campaign that had Borribles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borrible_Trilogy) in it. The favored weapon of a Borrible is a "catapult", typically called a slingshot. Kind of cool to up their damage with some explosive gems.
There are some circumstances in which I agree explosive gems aren't a problem.

Explosive gems in the hands of NPCs is one. If explosive gems were the eggs of some monster that couldn't be tamed, and would explosively hatch without warning after 3D6 days, then I wouldn't be concerned.

Similarly, in a game where the PCs are all from a culture that uses explosive gems as their standard weapon, as in your Borribles example, and the gems are plentiful, that's just part of the story.

A problem appears if explosive gems are so expensive people are reluctant to use them, but so powerful that they can't afford not to, and the campaign becomes a profit and loss affair.

It's also a problem if some character archetypes (say, slingers) can benefit and some (e.g. swordsmen) can't, assuming both archetypes are expected to appear in the campaign.

I played in a game where the GM allowed arrows tipped with explosive gems, and I think it caused huge problems. But even thrown gems are problematic.

I think the explosive gems as written are both ambiguous and a problem. I'd encourage rewriting or deleting them.

Quote:
Like anything, with a bad GM nothing works and with a good GM most things work.
I hear this sentiment so often I think I need a name for it, like "game design fatalism".
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote