Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #11
Richard Wilkes

Default Re: GURPS Character Sheet (GCS) 3.1.0.1 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuddel
your welcome.

is there a way you could anounce a new version apart from the forum? i don't look here every day, but i am interested in this project. maybe you should make a small anouncement mailing-list.
I suppose I could. Do you have any suggestions on a package that will manage a mailing list (unix-based)? I know there should be plenty, I just haven't ever cared to look before.

I do submit the software to VersionTracker (for both Mac & Windows) and MacUpdate. Don't know of an equivalent site for Linux.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #12
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Well. Mailman seems to work, given that it's used in most places. It's even used by SJG themselves ;)

http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo

It's open source, released under the GNU GPL. pyton based, and has a nice interface!
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
Richard Wilkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
Well. Mailman seems to work, given that it's used in most places. It's even used by SJG themselves ;)

http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo

It's open source, released under the GNU GPL. pyton based, and has a nice interface!
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #14
Hai-Etlik

A few suggestions after playing with it a bit

Containers showing the point cost of their contents.

Containers acting as one trait for the purposes of the point total box. Maybe three settings: Group (acts as it currently does), Metatrait (Acts as one normal trait, adv if it has a positive total, disadv if negative), Race (Point costs tracked seperately from normal advantages and disadvantages)

Modifing SM (and maybe mass and height) from a trait so it can be automaticaly applied from a racial template.

A trait that puts x points towards some skill. This would make racial templates tidier as everything in the template could then be represented as one trait. Admitedly this is probably hard to implement well.

Widow/Orphan/Page Break control.
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:46 AM   #15
knuddel

ah ... and another suggestion:
if you modify the move score of a char, it is calculated into the point cost, but it would be nice to have a notice under advantages/disadventages like "reduced/enhanced move")
Old 01-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #16
Richard Wilkes

Quote:
ah ... and another suggestion:
if you modify the move score of a char, it is calculated into the point cost, but it would be nice to have a notice under advantages/disadventages like "reduced/enhanced move")
I tried something like this before (auto-adding items to represent changes made to fields like move, speed, etc). Unfortunately, it turned out to be unwieldly and confusing to most users.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #17
Richard Wilkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik
A few suggestions after playing with it a bit

Containers showing the point cost of their contents.

Containers acting as one trait for the purposes of the point total box. Maybe three settings: Group (acts as it currently does), Metatrait (Acts as one normal trait, adv if it has a positive total, disadv if negative), Race (Point costs tracked seperately from normal advantages and disadvantages)

Modifing SM (and maybe mass and height) from a trait so it can be automaticaly applied from a racial template.

A trait that puts x points towards some skill. This would make racial templates tidier as everything in the template could then be represented as one trait. Admitedly this is probably hard to implement well.

Widow/Orphan/Page Break control.
Good suggestions, although some may be far too difficult to implement any time soon. Nonetheless, I've added them to my todo list.

As for window/orphan/page break control, what exactly are you looking for? This area of the software is already some of the more complicated code, as there are a lot of chicken-and-egg scenarios that the algorithm for layout has to account for.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #18
Hai-Etlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilkes
As for window/orphan/page break control, what exactly are you looking for? This area of the software is already some of the more complicated code, as there are a lot of chicken-and-egg scenarios that the algorithm for layout has to account for.
Well page breaks in the middle of the list of attacks are the most annoying problem; they are realy something you want all in one place.
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #19
Richard Wilkes

Quote:
is there a way you could anounce a new version apart from the forum? i don't look here every day, but i am interested in this project. maybe you should make a small anouncement mailing-list.
I just put Mailman online for just this purpose. There's a link to it on the main GCS site.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:44 AM   #20
knuddel

ah ... ok. i will subscribe ...
thanks !

Tags
character creation, chargen, game aids, gcs