Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-02-2019, 02:39 AM   #1
finn

Default [Spoiler][Hall of Judgment] What is a tiwstakn? and other questions.

I am currently running the Hall of Judgment, and have some questions to anybody who has the book and can answer. I assume I will have even more questions as I continue with the campaign, so I must issue a maximum spoiler alert. You should not read this thread unless you have the book, and do not plan to play the adventure as a PC.

In my game, the PCs have reached the Logiheimli Ruins and cleared most of the fortress, except for the cellar of the Temple of the Law God. They should be clearing the cellar and entering the barrows next Sunday.

So, here are the questions:

[Q1] What is a tiwstakn, physically?
The book discusses the importance of the tiwstakn, how one will be given to the PCs by Geirolf, and how one more will be given at the barrows.
But what is the tiwstakn, physically? I could not find a description of its appearance. Are there any physical descriptions of the tiwstakn in the book? If not, does anybody have any suggestions on how they should look like?
So far, I have declared that the one Geirolf gave the PCs is a medal with drawings symbolizing the Low God engraved.

[Q2] Is the tiwstakn that Elunad lost the one that Deirolf gave to the PCs?
The PCs were unlucky enough to meet with the Farie Noble Elunad on their second random encounter roll before reaching the Logiheimli Ruins.
Her description on page 75 says that she lost a tiwstakn to a contest with a Holy Warrior. I assume the holy warrior is Gyrid, and the contest is why he had the tiwstakn. Am I correct?
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [Spoiler][Hall of Judgment] What is a tiwstakn? and other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I am currently running the Hall of Judgment, and have some questions to anybody who has the book and can answer. I assume I will have even more questions as I continue with the campaign, so I must issue a maximum spoiler alert. You should not read this thread unless you have the book, and do not plan to play the adventure as a PC.

In my game, the PCs have reached the Logiheimli Ruins and cleared most of the fortress, except for the cellar of the Temple of the Law God. They should be clearing the cellar and entering the barrows next Sunday.

So, here are the questions:

[Q1] What is a tiwstakn, physically?
The book discusses the importance of the tiwstakn, how one will be given to the PCs by Geirolf, and how one more will be given at the barrows.
But what is the tiwstakn, physically? I could not find a description of its appearance. Are there any physical descriptions of the tiwstakn in the book? If not, does anybody have any suggestions on how they should look like?
So far, I have declared that the one Geirolf gave the PCs is a medal with drawings symbolizing the Low God engraved.
Originally, in Lost Hall of Tyr (1st Edition), the tiwstakn was a rod, inside of which were four rings, each engraved with the symbology of Tyr and Law. They enabled seeing markers and signs that would take you to a teleporter that would whisk you over to the Hall, skipping the journey.

Blowing out the adventure to support campaign play (many sessions) instead of convention play (two to four hours) deprecated the importance of the tiwstakn, and so now it appears only in passing, and is capable of showing the location of the Hall on an appropriate map.

In Hall of Judgment, I'd make the tiwstakn whatever you wish it to be, as you have done.

Quote:
[Q2] Is the tiwstakn that Elunad lost the one that Deirolf gave to the PCs?
Yes.

Quote:
The PCs were unlucky enough to meet with the Farie Noble Elunad on their second random encounter roll before reaching the Logiheimli Ruins.
Her description on page 75 says that she lost a tiwstakn to a contest with a Holy Warrior. I assume the holy warrior is Gyrid, and the contest is why he had the tiwstakn. Am I correct?
She, but yes (Gyrid is a woman); she was also taken to the faerie realm (Alfheim) or a faerie shadow dimension (svardalfheim) to be Elunad's plaything.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
finn

Default Re: [Spoiler][Hall of Judgment] What is a tiwstakn? and other questions.

Thank you. That gives me confidence in choosing how the 2nd tiwstakn would look like, and how I should role-play Elunad if she ever sees the 1st tiwstakn.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
Thank you. That gives me confidence in choosing how the 2nd tiwstakn would look like, and how I should role-play Elunad if she ever sees the 1st tiwstakn.
I would note that Gyrid, Holy Warrior of Tyr (ahem, the Law God) sacrificed herself after winning a riddle contest with Elunad. That tiwstakn is HOLY AS FRACK and Elunad probably can't touch it, like ever. She'll need a new one. Tyr (ahem, the Law God) blessed both sword and token in approval of the sacrifice.

Elunad, if seeing the thing, will probably be white-hot angry, but her best bet for finding and taking the Hall is probably to harass and follow the PCs to the Hall, and snatch their moment of victory away.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote