Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
FeiLin

Default Hit Location Symmetry

On the hit location table (B552) it seems that right leg is 6-7 whereas left leg is 13-14. My math says that's 12% and 17%, respectively. Arms seem to be similar. I tried quick googling, searching the forum and the faq for "hit location", but didn't find anything about this. Have I missed something or why the asymmetry?
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Hit Location Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
On the hit location table (B552) it seems that right leg is 6-7 whereas left leg is 13-14. My math says that's 12% and 17%, respectively. Arms seem to be similar. I tried quick googling, searching the forum and the faq for "hit location", but didn't find anything about this. Have I missed something or why the asymmetry?
They are the same. Go to anydice.com and look at the numbers for 13,14, 6, and 7.

Any two results on 3d6 that add up to 21 have the same probability of occurring.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
Gumby Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
They are the same. Go to anydice.com and look at the numbers for 13,14, 6, and 7.

Any two results on 3d6 that add up to 21 have the same probability of occurring.
Eh? 6+13 = 19

By Anydice:
6: 4.63
7: 6.94
= 11.57

13: 9.72
14: 6.94
= 16.66

Which round to the OP's numbers.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

I'd guess that table is a pretty old piece of legacy that hasn't been reconsidered in a while, though I wasn't around to know that.

Asymmetry checks out - it looks like it's because Torso+groin gets three out of the four biggest slots, and there wasn't anything else to stick in the fourth of them. I can't see how higher odds of hitting the left side limbs would be simulating anything, anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
Eh? 6+13 = 19
You should be comparing 6 and 14, and 7 and 13, not 6 and 13. But you're right about the imbalance of the ranges.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 05-02-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
Eh? 6+13 = 19
And that should have clued me in.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Gumby Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You should be comparing 6 and 14, and 7 and 13, not 6 and 13. But you're right about the imbalance of the ranges.
Yes, those are what ought to line up. The point was that to get 21 where you can, you have to get 19 in the other place.

I could have been really thorough and pointed out that (6+7+13+14)/2 != 21 which has the same entailment and covers all possible ways of adding pairs, but isn't as clear.

I don't use the table for much, but a simple solution would be to count all leg locations as "legs" and all arm locations as "arms" then roll 1d: evens left, odds right.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

I always assumed that was because one arm and one leg were considered to be 'leading' and therefore hit more.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
Stormcrow

One does not typically stand perfectly perpendicular to the direction toward one's opponent. A few percent variation for the sake of a simple 3d table shouldn't be too worrisome. If it bothers you anyway, swap left and right when considering someone who is left-handed.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
Rupert

The table, if it's more than simply unbalanced because of a lack of 'room' to place everything, seems to assume you're leading with your left said, as you would if you were a right-hander with a shield and one-handed weapon (or a rifle at the shoulder). If it bothers people, they could just reverse the sides for targets that are presenting the right side rather than the left.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I always assumed that was because one arm and one leg were considered to be 'leading' and therefore hit more.
Yes, I recall that explanation from some years back. Though, I'll be deuced if I can find it anymore (it may have been in Roleplayer or the online Pyramid).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hit location, symmetry