Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #21
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Sanctity in Mythic Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
The idea I have is that the gods become more powerful in the worlds where people revere them. If Thor had millions of worshippers then he would be able to be very active in the world where the worshippers live. He does not gain or lose his true power just how active he can be based on the amount of worshippers.If Nyarlathotep gained millions of worshippers then he could be very active in the world and that is why cults of his get destroyed quickly by the church.
What is a worshipper? The pagan Norse did not get down on their knees to pray to Thor.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
What is a worshipper? The pagan Norse did not get down on their knees to pray to Thor.
That is a very good point. So many of us think of believer or worshiper as in giving oneself over totally to a diety's accepted teachings. But what about lesser forms like general respect, grudging acceptance, or "light worship"?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
They did however participate in ceremonial dinners and make sacrifices. Good enough for me.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That is a very good point. So many of us think of believer or worshiper as in giving oneself over totally to a diety's accepted teachings. But what about lesser forms like general respect, grudging acceptance, or "light worship"?
If you attend at least the major ceremonies, that's good enough in my book.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
If you attend at least the major ceremonies, that's good enough in my book.
Ouch. So if I humored a relative in such a way, I would count? No need for even lip service?
I like the idea that depth of belief acted as a multiplier for deific influx. That way you could get serious demi-god contenders from small but fanatical cults. And lower power gods tacked onto pantheon rituals that everyone acknowledges but has few strong feelings for.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Ouch. So if I humored a relative in such a way, I would count? No need for even lip service?
I like the idea that depth of belief acted as a multiplier for deific influx. That way you could get serious demi-god contenders from small but fanatical cults. And lower power gods tacked onto pantheon rituals that everyone acknowledges but has few strong feelings for.
If you're there just to humor a relative, I'd say you're just going to a theme party more than actually attending a ceremony.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
If you're there just to humor a relative, I'd say you're just going to a theme party more than actually attending a ceremony.
You said attend only, but now you're back tracking a bit by requiring some form of belief. These are issues a player might consider important. There would be no observable difference between a fervent believer and someone humoring, but not being a pouting douche bag, by simply attending and participating in worship rituals.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #28
Jerander

If gods are real and verifiable, and desire worship from followers, then "belief" no longer really applies. It's an objective process. *Intent* in attendance may play a factor, however, much as it does with Ceremonial Magic. Which may be a good model for generating power for gods...
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #29
Nereidalbel

Quote:
You said attend only, but now you're back tracking a bit by requiring some form of belief. These are issues a player might consider important. There would be no observable difference between a fervent believer and someone humoring, but not being a pouting douche bag, by simply attending and participating in worship rituals.
It really just comes down to the question of whether you're there because it's [insert holiday here], or just because [insert relative here] said it would mean a lot if you showed up.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
It really just comes down to the question of whether you're there because it's [insert holiday here], or just because [insert relative here] said it would mean a lot if you showed up.
That's internal belief which is what you seemed to be arguing against as the salient factor.