Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Hit Location Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I always assumed that was because one arm and one leg were considered to be 'leading' and therefore hit more.
Except that it's not 'one arm and one leg', it's specifically the left. Which, if I had to pick an assumed leading side (which I don't and wouldn't), is probably not the one I'd have chosen.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:04 AM   #12
Gumby Bush

In a fight, yeah, I'd guess left was leading. However, if you're fighting a kicker, then the right could easily lead.

However, the most obvious times to use the random hit location table are for falls and hitting people in vehicles (or behind other cover where they aren't in a combat posture). In both cases, having a "leading" side makes a lot less sense. In vehicles there may easily be a near side, but even there I wouldn't assume the left was closer most of the time.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #13
FeiLin

I guess that makes sense, turning the body, iruno, 45° to face the enemy.

Probably should've mentioned it explicit in basic, including the suggested variation of swapping for a left-handed individual.

Also, I'd say it makes sense to do something similar for hands/feet, like 1-2 vs 3-6 instead of 1-3 vs 4-6. Although the case could be made that they're too unlikely to be hit that it makes little effect (worth the effort),. Or that their use does indeed make them more likely to be evenly hit.
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
In a fight, yeah, I'd guess left was leading. However, if you're fighting a kicker, then the right could easily lead.
Or a fencer, or someone using a pistol...
Old 05-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #15
acrosome

It assumes a right-handed attacker with a melee weapon. Thus, slightly more likely to hit the left side of a target facing him/her. (The shield side.) I suspect that it's a leftover from Man-to-Man, when you were always facing a knowing opponent who was facing you in turn, with a melee weapon. I've never checked out Man-to-Man, though. Does the hit chart go back that far?

Anyway... If you are attacking from behind or are left-handed, reverse the side that is more likely to be hit. If firing a ranged weapon, randomize the side.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #16
Antiquation!

While the favored side rules from MA: Gladiators don't solve the random location asymmetry, I would recommend anyone interested in adding that sort of detail to take a look at those.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #17
Plane

Strangely, gladiators doesn't seem to modify the random hit location.

I think in respect to random hits, I would change "right" to "leading" and "left" to "rear" and only use the table if the character is using the Gladiators option.

If not, then flip a coin to see which leg is hit?

Random hit locations probably need a re-vamp in respect to the direction of the attacker too. I think it assumes the front, but if I'm attacking from the front-left side then the target's left limbs/ear/eye should have a higher chance of being hit than their right limbs/ear/eye
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #18
FeiLin

I thought of a "quick fix", for people who prefer symmetry. I use an extra die of another color to denote "sub-location" (ie the 1 for vitals for certain locations, etc). The standard roll of 6-8 (right leg and arm) are arms and 12-14 (left leg and arm) are legs, and then the extra die represents left or right.

It's about 40% vs 45% normally of hitting the "off side", so I was thinking if someone has a posture that changes that, maybe 1-2 instead of 1-3 on the extra die would be the protected side, which means they're at 33%, making player choice a bit more important in this regard (like shielding the sword hand, etc).
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hit location, symmetry