Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Sanctity in Mythic Earth

In my game world which is based on the earth of myths and legends I was thinking that the mere act of worship causes Sanctity to come into existance. The gods require worship by mortals in order to sustain their godhood. In the early ages tribal spiritsewere the gods and then came the likes of Thor, Zeus and Orsirus. Lastly came the monotheistic faiths which pulled in far more worshippers and reduced the god status of the tribal spirits and even the polytheistic faiths. Some say that if Zeus were worshipped by more people then he could rival Christianity in Mythic Earth as could other gods. It could be that demonic cults are crushed so quickly because if they were allowed to flourish then the demon lords could attain the power of the gods and be released from a Hell. The Elder Gods are not divine or gods but instead are alien entities from other realities that can use the power of Sanctity to enter the mundaneworld should they aquire enough worshippers. The mere act of worship creates and energy called Sanctity in Mythic Earth.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
jason taylor

Default Re: Sanctity in Mythic Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
In my game world which is based on the earth of myths and legends I was thinking that the mere act of worship causes Sanctity to come into existance. The gods require worship by mortals in order to sustain their godhood. In the early ages tribal spiritsewere the gods and then came the likes of Thor, Zeus and Orsirus. Lastly came the monotheistic faiths which pulled in far more worshippers and reduced the god status of the tribal spirits and even the polytheistic faiths. Some say that if Zeus were worshipped by more people then he could rival Christianity in Mythic Earth as could other gods. It could be that demonic cults are crushed so quickly because if they were allowed to flourish then the demon lords could attain the power of the gods and be released from a Hell. The Elder Gods are not divine or gods but instead are alien entities from other realities that can use the power of Sanctity to enter the mundaneworld should they aquire enough worshippers. The mere act of worship creates and energy called Sanctity in Mythic Earth.
You're question?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Whos benefiting from christianity ? Jesus ?
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
You're question?
Your*
Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
Be careful. I'm not offended but mods and rules and flame wars and such.

In my game worlds, energy of the gods is provided by its worshippers. Primal Gods (basically, the old ones) do not need sanctity, which is why they're always going on about true power this and true power that, and also why they're constantly sacrificing their worshipers for little reason.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
jason taylor

Quote:
In theory Christians are the main one's who benefit. Jesus' benefit is limited as some of us are rather irritating fellows to have around.

That is the problem with matching polytheism with monotheism as if it is only a matter of numbers. A polytheistic god can benefit from his followers. A monotheistic one can't, not in that sense. However if you are playing that, presumably you are imagining it from the polytheist worldview in which case Jesus would be more like the Norse "Whitechrist."
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
Your*

In my game worlds, energy of the gods is provided by its worshippers. Primal Gods (basically, the old ones) do not need sanctity, which is why they're always going on about true power this and true power that, and also why they're constantly sacrificing their worshipers for little reason.
Well I certainly didnt mean it in that way! Im a christian myself and wouldnt want to offend anyone on the matter, but the way he phrased it just begged the question, and in its most genuine meaning.

Because from what he said, I started to think that in his setting, jesus would be the equivalent to thor, just with a lot more worshippers.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #7
Blood Legend

Quote:
Well I certainly didnt mean it in that way! Im a christian myself and wouldnt want to offend anyone on the matter, but the way he phrased it just begged the question, and in its most genuine meaning.

Because from what he said, I started to think that in his setting, jesus would be the equivalent to thor, just with a lot more worshippers.
Lol, carry on then!

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

I remember a series of books that had belief creating spirit/gods, but it took active disbelief to "kill" them. That's hard to come by if you just saw the diety torch your village. But there was a wonderful plot twist by the hero of the book.
Disbelief causing harm would give a reason as to why gods always seem to demand the death of heathens.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
Your*

Be careful. I'm not offended but mods and rules and flame wars and such... about grammar and spelling corrections. ;)
There are certain native English speaking posters here that couldn't use an apostrophe correctly if their lives depended on it. I can say that as I make completely different grammatical mistakes.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
The Colonel

This would certainly be a setting in which you'd need to hard rule a lot of theological questions: does the worship offered by all three Abrahamic religions benefit the same deity? What about the various spin-offs from those religions? Does the Greco-Roman tradition of identifying various deities as aspects of one another hold any water? What about their equally prominent tradition of localising deities in excruciating detail?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote