Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-23-2019, 01:35 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Talent Synergies

How much of the process is pipelined:
Woodsman gathers hide
Alchemist preserves hide
Armourer fashions to fit the end user

And how much is intertwined like the goldsmith armourer?
Old 12-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
Skarg

Yeah, that's a very good question. It seems to me that while it could be pipelined, it might be best if one master craftsman knew as many of the needed talents, and at master level, compared to a team of separate people.

I would think they would at least need to all explain to each other what their needs and limits were in order to get the best results. i.e. The Master Tanner might be able to do what the Master Leatherworker and/or Master Armorer want and need to make the finest dragonhide armor types, but unless they tell the Master Tanner what they want, he might do something else cool from the Tanner's perspective, that isn't ideal for fine armor.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #13
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
How about Tanner and Leatherworker? Those (and Masters in them) and Armorer/Master Armorer were the talents I listed when making a table of various types and qualities of dragon hide armor. I didn't think of Alchemist.
I'd love to see the details behind your 'advanced' talents. When you have chance, please post some under the Cidri's got Talent! thread.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #14
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I'd love to see the details behind your 'advanced' talents. When you have chance, please post some under the Cidri's got Talent! thread.
So far, the details are only in my dragon hide armor types and what it takes to make them.

The Master Tanner and Master Leatherworker are in Legacy ITL, though, under Mundane talents, though they have no descriptions other than the English word meanings, and it's not even clear to me if a Master mundane talent is supposed to be 3 points total, or 3 points on top of whatever the base talent costs (I assume the latter, since that makes most sense to me).
Old 12-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #15
hcobb

ITL 36
Quote:
3 IQ points to learn: ... full mastery of ... any 1- or 2-point talent listed above
Seems to me to be just three points for mastery.

I've already got an adventure setting in the works for Master Beekeeper, so how about the rest?

Which could be used with Shipbuilder or Architect/Builder?
Old 12-23-2019, 09:34 PM   #16
Skarg

It could be that. But other talents are in the pattern of a base talent for one cost, and then a Master version of the talent with its own cost, that requires the first talent as a prerequisite.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:52 PM   #17
hcobb

Where does it say prerequisite?
Old 12-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #18
Skarg

It doesn't say it for the mundane talent. That's why it's unclear. But the other talents that have Master versions all have prereqs of the non-master talent, e.g.: "Master Armourer [...] Prerequisite: Armourer."

So while it's not crystal clear, and doesn't explicitly say so for sure, I think it's unlikely that the intent is:

Tanner (1)
Master Tanner (3) - no prerequisite

But I guess the new cheapened costs of most Legacy talents might tend to imply it's more like:

Tanner (1)
Master Tanner (2) - prerequisite: Tanner

and so Leatherworker and other 2-point mundane talents would ALL be like

Leatherworker (2)
Master Leatherworker (1) - prerequisite: Leatherworker

That just seems a bit dull, since the only interesting distinction in such talents is whether they cost 1 or 2 points, and having Master for ALL of them always cost 3 seems ... less detailed/interesting/accurate to me.

Also, since the IQ requirement for ALL of them seems to be 8 for some reason (I expect the reason is mainly so they can be listed all in one place in the rules, NOT because it makes sense), the master requirements all seem to be IQ 8 too... and if it's just a matter of 1 or two more points in a trade talent, it starts to feel like it implies to me that most crafters would/should be masters or else they're chumps, at least as far as the technical game requirements go.

But when I was making new armor types and thinking of making Master Leatherworking an important requirement, I wasn't thinking it would be a particularly easy or common level of talent.

I guess it's up to all GMs to figure out how they want to handle them, if/when it comes up, as is so often the case.

Last edited by Skarg; 12-23-2019 at 11:47 PM.