Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #61
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Mix and Match 2021 (66 Combos)

Combination 34: ISWAT in Egypt
34) Infinite Worlds: The Osiris Worlds and How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins

Infinite worlds always has its ISWAT Mode, and the Black Pharoah and the movers are classic ISWAT targets. Investigate the Mystery! Stop the Evil Scheme! Save the World! And Be Back by Tuesday!

The characters probably need some way to speak ancient egyptian, or they might just rely on a single translator, depending on play style.

For Villians, Monster Hunters actually is in the right point range and has some relevant foes, in the form of a mummy king, psis, and even meddling aliens.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #62
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 35: Osirus Airfield
35) Infinite Worlds: The Osiris Worlds and Encounters: The Mysterious Airfield

The secret of the portal beneath venus field has been cracked, and teams can explore the other side! A crack team has been assembled to explore the other side, experiment with the gate, and squeeze out a game-winning military technology for use against the russians.

There are a lot of unknowns. The Portal always seems to end in ancient egypt, but its inconsistent about which year, and the timelines peiced together seem to both contradict itself and egypt's known history. Some of the wildest theories about egypt seem to be right... some of the time. While the acedemics are estatic, the military folks need a way to weaponize all of this stuff. They have at least a little experitize in weirdness, so long as they don't bring anything home.

Meanwhile, the ICOPS have noticed some strange out-time activity in these egyptian timelines, and is starting to investigate...

Yes, this looks like a weird twist on stargate... That's just the hand we got!

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 09-20-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #63
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 36: The Thrice Reflected Kingdoms
36) Infinite Worlds: The Osiris Worlds and Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates

Along the great river lies a mighty kingdom. In each places the great river flows, each a different kingdom with a different pharaoh, each naming the others Brother. They are connected and separated by a complex network of portals and ancient oaths.

But the oaths have been broken by a terrible figure known as the black pharaoh. He has some means to transform men into monsters, and he is sending them through the portals, raiding, plundering, killing, and devouring. The two remaining brother pharaohs are doing their best to fight back, but they'll need all the soldiers, contraptions, and mystic forces they can muster if they are to turn back the horde. This could mean allying with mysterious cloaked "builders". This could mean in bringing the uncouth roman armies. This could mean unexpected heroes.

Or this could all be in vain.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #64
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 37: The Ghouls of Edfu

37) Infinite Worlds: The Osiris Worlds and Dungeon Fantasy 23: Twists

The great river flows through the howling sands, splitting it in two, providing it with life, and driving back the ghosts and demons. On its banks, a hearty people have taken root: perhaps hearty enough to forget the terrors of the sandy wastes and the hunger of dark spirits for blood. But something is stirring in the seedy underbelly of the Great River's cities. Monsters that can hide among men, and who can thrive in their midst, who consume them, and yet come from them.

The rumors are growing in Edfu. The monsters are beginning to strike more often and more boldly. A small band of warriors is caught in the midst of it, and gets the sense that something even bigger is brewing. The guard may be corrupt, and the priests focused on arcane matters, but for something this big, surely the Pharaoh would stop this if he knew about it. surely.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #65
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 38: Pharoah's Gold
38) Infinite Worlds: The Osiris Worlds and Action Adventure 1: Templar's Gold

Most of the tombs were looted over a thousand years ago. Thus Supot was surprized when a rock slide during a sand storm revealed a completely unlooted tomb. He was able to grab a few precious items, but the rest disapeared beneath a second collapse. He's been trying to figure out where the rest of the tomb is, but two problems have arisen. The first is that he has fallen quite ill, and will probably die soon. The second is that one of the trickets he sold has attracted the attention of a cult dedicated to the old pharoahs. They also want the treasure.

Of course, these modern times will complicate things. The Pharoahs aren't in control: the ptolemies and their roman allies are. Hot air baloons provide stunning access to the skies, alchemy unlocks devious substances, and thinking machines allow for rapid surveying of locations. This treasure hunt may be more complex than first meets the eye...

Old 09-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #66
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Of course, these modern times will complicate things. The Pharoahs aren't in control: the ptolemies and their roman allies are. Hot air baloons provide stunning access to the skies, alchemy unlocks devious substances, and thinking machines allow for rapid surveying of locations. This treasure hunt may be more complex than first meets the eye...
Of course, the treasure hunters may regret finding the tomb, if Supot's illness came from there...

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #67
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Of course, the treasure hunters may regret finding the tomb, if Supot's illness came from there...

Its kind of surprising, but the whole "cursed treasure" thing might work even better in this context: you might not even have to give the PC's a book for them to figure that the treasure has a curse. I thought this combination was going to be particularly difficult, but tomb treasures in a roman-ptolmeic egypt undergoing a technological revolution is an almost perfect fit. I couldn't find a great war equivalent though, which was disappointing. Overcoming the curse also might be a little more difficult... but surely there is a way.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #68
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I I couldn't find a great war equivalent though, which was disappointing.
"Grerat War" in this context pretty much needs to mean "intractible conflict between major national powers". for Rome it's Carthage and the Punic Wars. For Egypt it was the Hyksos or maybe the Sea People whoever those were and the time periods were about a thousand years apart.

In any alternate where Egypt is a major national power Rome isn't absorbing it. The intractible conflict would probably be between them.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #69
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
"Grerat War" in this context pretty much needs to mean "intractible conflict between major national powers". for Rome it's Carthage and the Punic Wars. For Egypt it was the Hyksos or maybe the Sea People whoever those were and the time periods were about a thousand years apart.

In any alternate where Egypt is a major national power Rome isn't absorbing it. The intractible conflict would probably be between them.
Actually, that could work. The war between Rome and Egypt happened a year ago. Supot is a hot air balloon surveyor who had to crash land behind enemy lines (it seems the Romans made a bit of headway into Egypt... which is probably the best way to run that war anyways). He sees just enough of the tomb before the landslide covers it, and then enemy action makes him retreat. That's a great suggestion.

also, bonus points if Supot is a musician from Sub-Saharan Africa.

Last edited by ericthered; 09-24-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #70
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 39a: Off-Course Ship
39) Renaissance Venice: Spies of Venice and Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 4: Two-Page Dungeons

A holy relic was being transported from the holy land to spain, when a storm blew the ship off course into the dangerous isles of the adriatic. But which ship is it? And can you reach it in time? Quickly perusing through the notes about the mail should give an indication of where the ship holding this precious treasure lies...

Combintation 39b: Da Vinci's Devilry
39) Renaissance Venice: Spies of Venice and Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 4: Two-Page Dungeons
The French have some new warning device up in a watch tower: some new devilry by da Vinci, no doubt. The Venicians must have it! Somehow or the other, get a copy of this ingenious alarm, but without triggering it...