Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Mix and Match 2021 (66 Combos)

Combination 3: Return of the Black Pharoah
3) Action 8: Twists and Infinite Worlds: The Osiris Worlds
A recent dig has uncovered another round of Egyptian artifacts. As these belong to the eccentric Amenhotep, their uniqueness is not particularly remarkable... until the black pharaoh wakes and begins transforming men into monsters.

Our heroes may have been involved with the artifacts from the beginning, or they may notice the disaster building nearby, but either way, if the world is to survive, its all up to them

Combination 3b: The Osiris Files
3) Action 8: Twists and Infinite Worlds: The Osiris Worlds
Infinite world agents have to tough and resourceful: its part of their Job. Tracking down a centrum agent and discrediting their actions by framing them as an embezzler is all in a days work. But working on Osiris worlds is a little different. Sometimes things get a little tricky, and sometimes they get a little strange. Take those pyramid builders, for instance...
.................................................. ...........................

So I'm conflicted as to whether or not 3b counts. I play Infinite Worlds in two modes: one is ISWAT mode, which lies somewhere between a Powers Game and a Kitchen Sink. The other is as an action game of the espionage variety, powered by a custom infinite worlds BAT. This mode is low on magic and the supernatural, and if its on the high end of the technology spectrum for action, its still on it.

On the other hand, while supernatural and high tech is toned down, its still there, and action:twists is very much focused on the classic action context of the ambiguous now with no magic and a focus on high-tech urban centers. Infinite Action Campaigns lack that: wilderness and low-tech training is expected, and a team that knows ancient Egyptian is probably ready for at least a little mystic action. Twists is about handling deviations from the campaign mode correctly, and in Action: Infinite Worlds low-tech experiences and mystic challenges are par for the course, and probably shouldn't be treated as exceptions.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 4a: Hand of the Patricians
4) Action 8: Twists and Renaissance Venice: Spies of Venice
The Inquisitori of Venezia is not only its eyes and ears, but often its hands as well. In a volatile Mediterranean full of hungry powers, the small republic must act covertly and with plausible deniability to achieve its ends. Its top ranked agents must wield power equivalent to armies. They have a fair number of people in the inquisitori they can use, but in the end, they will need to get things done themselves.

Swashbuckling is really a low-TL version of action. Daring Chases, Secret plots, and wild shooting goons are hallmarks of both. So lets go to the early modern Mediterranean and play with the fate of the world...

Combination 4b: The Inquisitori and the Holy Grail
Its been lost for hundreds of years... but with the ability to spy on a mail network unmatched since the foundation of Christianity, clues are slowly trickling into the Venetian Inquisitori. A few chosen members have been dispatched to bring this most holy relic back to Venezia. They'll need to travel across lands both Christian and Moslem, read their most private inscriptions, and then track down its final location. All while dodging the original team who found the grail. The journey is both secular and spiritual, and some of the people they meet speak of miracles, and the need to be pure when seeking the grail...

Alternatively, have the original seekers of the Grail be the PC's, and the Inquisitori the spying thieves who intercept messages about holy quests.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 08-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I wrote one entry for each dungeon. They worked out fairly well, I think.

Combination 5a: The Radioactive Rat
5) Action 8: Twists and Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 4: Two-Page Dungeons
Its just a small tricket, but its rad, its radiactive, and everyone wants it. Except for the poor rat its twisted around. The Heroes have a geiger counter, which gives them an edge, but their opponents have a seemingly endless supply of goons to look for it. The rat is hiding in a cluttered ship wreck, which at least means that their foes can't catch the rat too easily...

bonus round: skeletons show up. completely optional.

Combination 5b: An Unexpected Welcome
You were hoping for a pile a treasure, ready for some esoteric clues for the next location, and prepared for a centuries old death-trap or two. Instead you summoned an army of demons. You may wish to flee, but perhaps the thing you came here is after all-- if only you can figure out how to get rid of that demon lord.

This Dungeon is traversed backwards, starting in room 3.

Combination 5c: Left to Freeze
The worst part about a traitor is that you don't expect them. Having retreived your goal, your so-called ally has taken most of the gear to deal with a glacier and left. He figures you'll die trying to climb out of the hole he stranded you in. He didn't realize there is an entire cave complex down there. Maybe there's another way out.

This dungeon is also traversed backwards. Action is a lot bigger on exits than entrances.

Combination 5d: Silencing the Watchtower
Great Officers lead from the front. Possibly because redshirts have an annoying habit of dying. You need to clear out the watchtower so the bulk of your force can procede past it. Be sure to get both the signal light AND take control of the radio. It probably doesn't hurt to disguise yourselves as locals to get close without alerting suspicion either.

Combination 5e: The Back Way In
The problem with sticking your lair in a volcano is that you never know what excavations its making. The Heroes have discovered a back way into the volcano fortress, but there is just a little lava in the way. Can they make it across and avoid the fortresses main defenses? or was the villian clever in leaving a death trap for the heroes to kill themselves trying to cross? There is only one way to find out!

Old 08-11-2021, 05:01 AM   #14
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Combination 4a: Hand of the Patricians
Il nome è Legame, Giacomo Legame.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 6: Bureau Rivalry
6) Action 8: Twists and Space Atlas: Grissom
In a twist of politics (by which I mean after a political fau paux by BuAstro), Grissom's legislature has given its main law enforcement agency, known to BuAstro effectionally as "GroundSec" a bit more oversight in orbital matters. The department is acting strange though, poking very deliberately at the secrets around hearthfire, and stepping outside even its expanded powers in doing so.

About half of BuAstro counterintellegnce is convinced an external power has taken control of GroundSec and is trying to take control of Hearthfire. The other half is worried that if they impede groundsec another political incident will end BuAstro Counterintelligence all together. The PC's will need to slow down the investigation, discover and reveal the foreign agents, and protect the secret of hearthfire, all while avoiding causing an incident that will get their organization dismantled. They'll need both their personal prowess, the vestiges of their organizational power, and some political savy, if they are to uncover who is trying turn Grissom inside out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Il nome è Legame, Giacomo Legame.
I... hadn't mentally taken it that far. Bravo!

Old 08-12-2021, 08:49 AM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 7a: Tactical Powers
7) Action 8: Twists and How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins

You aren't just a cooling calculating expert at what you do, and you aren't just a power-weilding force of nature: you're both, as in everyone on your team. The most likely source of this is a military or para-military training program that trains promising power-wielders into special forces, but other options exist as well. Take an action template, add 100 or so points of powers and the skills to use them, and you have some very flexible heroes.

Depriving such characters of equipment is especially fun, because you're liable to end up with an explosion of cool power use. Depriving them of their powers is also fun, because they're still functional, and they get a moment of glory when the power comes back on line and they can return to wreck their vengeance.

Combination 7b: Dreadstormers

Ever since the Carnage of the Great War 150 years ago, the Fifth Spinward Republic and the Malu empire have avoided direct conflict, in favor of proxy battles. One such conflict is the Zorbani-Jakorbi War. A particularly brutal war, the worlds of the Zorbani pact seek to conquer Jakorbi, subjugate its people, and eradicate its culture.

Unable to enter the conflict fully for fear of triggering a second grand conflict with the Malu Empire, The Fifth spinward republic has sent a handful of covert psionic operatives to aid the Jakorbi. Of note is are the elite DreadStormers, who specialize in seizing enemy battleships from within.

You are the Dreadstormers. Republic agents have already secured you berthings on the Zorbani battleship Nightfall as enlisted crew. With nothing more than the Zorbani issued to every spacer, your training, and your psionic powers, you must overcome your 2000 ship mates and capture the Nightfall. Destroying it will not be enough. It is needed to turn the tide of the battle.

so... uh... this is one of my current play by post games, and it fits the combination almost perfectly. Characters are 370 points, using a buckets of points system that has a Bucket designed and intended to fit an action template in it. Characters start out without any gear and without their psionic powers available. Its a little weird just how well it fits.

As a side note, I can confirm that a lot of the advice about high-powered games is spot-on!

Combination 7c: Bureau Rivalry
This is, of course, a repeat of combination 6a. After some hostile forces takes control of the planet's official security agencies, PlanetBuAstro counterintellegnce higher-ups direct an agency to agency struggle while simultaneously acting as the spearhead of the effort.

You need to start off as agency leaders with a bit of practical experience under your belts, but doing so hits the 300 point start of high powered origins.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #17
ravenfish

Combination 64a: An Arthurian Courtier in Yankee Connecticut.
Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates + Dungeon Fantasy 23: Twists (technology section).

A portal leads from the bottom of the dungeon to the modern world- for extra credit, it can lead to one of the settings described in a different PDF, but it's probably more fun to send them to a city the players are all familiar with. Can the adventurers, fearless in the face of dragons, overcome the far greater terrors of crosswalks, credit cards, and queues? And what is this "Renaissance Fair" everyone they meet is asking about?

Last edited by ravenfish; 08-13-2021 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Official Numbering Scheme
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

8) Rescue at Venus Field
Action 8: Twists and Encounters: The Mysterious Airfield
When his parents agreed to let him go with the men, they were promised he'd receive the best of treatment. A first-rate education, a diet calibrated by experts, and an environment where he could thrive and "reach his full potential". The men weren't really clear on what made their son special, but what parent doesn't want to hear that. For the first few years they got regular letters and pictures of their smiling and growing son. Requests to visit were denied, though there were a few phone calls with awkward time delays.

But now their son has vanished. No letters, no pictures, no phone calls, and all their previous contact points have vanished. The parents have filed a missing persons report, written letters to congressmen, and talked to lawyers, but to no avail. They've almost given up hope... but now they've met you. You know what it will take to track down their son and get him back. At least, you thought you did. Why exactly did the agency take him again?

Old 08-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Combination 8: An Arthurian Courtier in Yankee Connecticut.
Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates + Dungeon Fantasy 23: Twists (technology section).
That's a fantastic name for it! The portal book is going to be a lot of fun to work with. And the story idea has a lot of fun things that just natively emerge from it.

As a note, the combination number is about the books you are using, so this is combination 64a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The easy one is 24, Green Madonna and Dungeon Encounters 4.
I've been going through them, and at least two of them jump out as yet easier and more straightforward than that... Which means I'll need to find a way to expand on the ideas a bit more.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #20
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

For the conspiracy-minded, the easiest combos involve Renaissance Venice: Spies of Venice, The Green Madonna, and Action Adventure 1: Templar's Gold. Those are #23, #30, and #45.

This epic arc traces the Holy Grail and the Philosopher's Stone – regarded by some as one and the same – from parts east (the Holy Land or Byzantium), through the hands of spies involved in Venice's adventures during the first four Crusades (c. 1095-1202), across the Atlantic courtesy of Templar sympathies lurking in the Catholic church (usually placed at c. 1345-1400, in time to get found by nautical types or recovered by the Inquisition anytime after 1569, and certainly by the 1660s), and then back to France, probably thanks to that secret Templar, Comte de St. Germain (1710-1784)¹. Thus, the Templar gold is surely in part conquistador gold . . . or alchemically created, if you want Action 8: Twists on your adventure.

Tracing the alchemical secrets back to Egypt to bring in Infinite Worlds: The Osiris Worlds might be pushing it. Then again, that would be 100% consistent with some versions of the Philosopher's Stone; see also Cleopatra the Alchemist.

Likewise, claiming that American adventurers took the gold and all the secrets stored with it after the Great War could let you tack on Encounters: The Mysterious Airfield at the late end of the arc². I mean, there's something weird in there. You'll definitely want Action 8: Twists if you do that.

If the same investigators are moving across history like St. Germain, you're sure to need How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins for the PCs.

1. Possibly with a stop at Oak Island, if the pirate moving the gold or the Grail (or for that matter the Ark of the Covenant) from the Caribbean to Europe was named Kidd (1655-1701), and working for the Masons (but really the Templars). Then again, it might have stopped at Oak Island on its way from Henry Sinclair's hiding spot in 1398 to the Caribbean, moved by Rosicrucians, if you prefer the theory that implicates Francis Bacon (1561-1626); Newton, of Green Madonna fame, was the second scientist to be knighted after Bacon . . . how convenient. Or all of the above.

2. That would explain the biplane from 27 years before Venus Field AFB opened³ now sitting in a dusty corner of the boneyard.

3. In 1946, that is. If you want a Boardroom and Curia: The Sospital Group tie-in, here it is. WWII vets founded the Group . . . and were all over Venus Field. The Group's surprising medical successes would be easier to explain with the Elixir of Life, whether you think that's the Grail or the Stone.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote