Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
Emerikol

Default Kudos to this community

Maybe it's self evident to everyone here but I'm somewhat new and it is refreshing to be part of a group where everyone seems so nice and helpful.

I've posted several times on here and people seem to really be trying to be helpful and the discussions are good.

I think you all should be proud to have this sort of place for people who play GURPS. To the degree playing a game reflects on your personalty in general GURPS gets kudos too.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Kudos to this community

Thank you, it really is an awesome community.
The mods are on top of spam and curtail bad posts but are not overbearing about it. And most people who post a question can get an answer, especially if the subject title tells everyone what they are asking about.
Of course some thread drift is inevitable and sometimes the answers overly complicated. But few people are actual troublemakers and those that are dont usually last long.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
sparcipx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Maybe it's self evident to everyone here but I'm somewhat new and it is refreshing to be part of a group where everyone seems so nice and helpful.

I've posted several times on here and people seem to really be trying to be helpful and the discussions are good.

I think you all should be proud to have this sort of place for people who play GURPS. To the degree playing a game reflects on your personalty in general GURPS gets kudos too.
Amen to that! I'm still pretty green myself, and this forum has been a huge help to me as I learn the game. It's also encouraged me to look under the hood and tinker with things, to experiment. Still not confident enough to run a 4e GURPS Autoduel campaign without resorting to Car Wars for the design and combat portions, but I'll get there.
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:14 AM   #4
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Thank you, it really is an awesome community.
The mods are on top of spam and curtail bad posts but are not overbearing about it. And most people who post a question can get an answer, especially if the subject title tells everyone what they are asking about.
Of course some thread drift is inevitable and sometimes the answers overly complicated. But few people are actual troublemakers and those that are don't usually last long.
You make a great point. People may go overboard or have pet theories but they very seldom seem hostile about it. They love the game and just throw their ideas out. I also like the fact so many of the writers are on here and answer questions and chime in on topics.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:15 PM   #5
Alden Loveshade

Glad you're here!

I agree with comments above. It's a combination of the moderators dealing with problems before they get too far out of hand which is a big help, and the GURPS community. I've run and played GURPS in home games, at schools, online, at conventions, and even over the telephone. The few times someone was not friendly and cooperative stand out because they were quite rare.

One of the things I like best about GURPS is the people I've gamed with!
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:30 AM   #6
Anders

For a company who named one of their sub-forums for the goddess of strife, there are surprisingly few trolls here.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:35 AM   #7
The Colonel

Going to have to join the hugbox here - this is an unusually well informed, polite and friendly community which is much appreciated.

And yes, as previously noted, we have good mods - I even recall an incident where one admitted that they had made a mistake and reversed a ruling, which almost never happens on a lot of boards. Says a lot for the community that it didn't turn into the sort of powerplay that might have occurred elsewhere.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #8
SilvercatMoonpaw

I really do like that when people get into discussions around here it's about scientific and historical minutiae rather than fan stuff.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
I really do like that when people get into discussions around here it's about scientific and historical minutiae rather than fan stuff.

The scientific and historical prowess of this forum is impressive. In most rooms, I'm close to the expert on pre-1950's history, geography, and non-medical science. On this forum? I'm a novice.

It's awesome and wonderful.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 09-24-2021 at 09:47 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #10
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It's awesome and wonderful.
Although sometimes intimidating.