Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #21
Taneli

Default Re: Resources needed to run GUPRS with 1e/2e D&D Modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
Many years ago, I ran a 1e D&D module in GURPS, using the very first G:DF books, and it was very successful.
Lessons I learned:
  • Don’t try to convert D&D, just go for the right thematic feel
  • Seriously, don’t try to convert monster stats - just make up whatever feels right, take notes, and keep going. “Oh, the next room has bugbears. Ok, bugbears are, uh, SM+1, ST16, DR2, and their heads are an extra SM+1 on top of that; they carry polearms and clubs, giving them damage of X.”
  • Use the D&D module as the framework of your story, and add/subtract/modify to make a fun game. “Sneaking in the back way is too short, so I’ll add twisty passages and a deep ravine with a rock monster”
  • Improvise, a lot
  • Paladins with horses don’t belong in dungeons
  • GURPS is a toolkit, so have some idea what tools you want to add to your kit
THIS, 200% so much this. This is the way I do fantasy dungeon crawling in GURPS (DF) or DFRPG.

Numerical conversions between completely different game systems never give me satisfying results and are just wasted work 99% of the time.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #22
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I hate to be the spoilsport but I'm disinclined to do this sort of thing because GURPS and D&D are sufficiently different that you may as well be writing the adventure from scratch. .
Using material from other games is pretty standard in GURPs. It's not difficult to write down replacement stats for low level dungeon creatures most of which aren't terribly exotic.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #23
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Using material from other games is pretty standard in GURPs.
It's not only standard, it's encouraged. It's part of the meaning of the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Basic Set page 5
But GURPS is designed to be as compatible as possible with supplements written for different games. The reason? Simple. Suppose that you’re a GURPS player. You’re at the hobby shop, and you see a really interesting supplement package. But it’s by another publisher, for another game.

No problem. The GURPS system breaks everything down into plain English and simple numbers. Distances are given in feet and miles, rather than arbitrary units; times are given in minutes and seconds. That’s what makes it generic. That also makes it easy to translate. If you see an interesting supplement for another game, go right ahead and get it. You can use it as a sourcebook for GURPS.
Quote:
t's not difficult to write down replacement stats for low level dungeon creatures most of which aren't terribly exotic.
And for those creatures whose powers are exotic, just let them do exotic things without finding rules for them.

A creature turns humans to stone by touch? Never mind finding an advantage or spell that does that; it just works. Maybe give the victim a HT roll or something to avoid the effect, but otherwise they're petrified.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #24
maximara
On Notice

Good to see D&D to GURPS as a suggested resource. On the other hand the GURPS 4e unofficial D&D Conversion piece falls into some of the traps D&D to GURPS tries to avoid.

The biggest of these is a level x = points y mentality. That simply doesn't work. Even worst it makes the D&D characters far more competent than they have any rights being at low level.

And there are other problems.

For example the Cleric has "Power Investiture 1 (Pact, -30%) [7]". Power Investiture already has Pact built-in. In fact, Power Investiture official GURPS write up is:

Magery (Functions as a Different Talent ±0%; Sanctity Replaces Mana: ±0%; No Zero-Level Requirement +10%; Inspired Learning +20%; No Spell Prerequisites +30%; Pact -10%; No Magic Item Sensitivity -20%; Limited spell list -30%)

Magic-user retain their really dumb can't wear armor mechanic. That made little sense in D&D and makes less sense in GURPS. It ignores the fact that in D&D1 Rangers used magic-user (ie Magery based) spells.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #25
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
Many years ago, I ran a 1e D&D module in GURPS, using the very first G:DF books, and it was very successful.
Lessons I learned:
  • Don’t try to convert D&D, just go for the right thematic feel
  • Seriously, don’t try to convert monster stats - just make up whatever feels right, take notes, and keep going. “Oh, the next room has bugbears. Ok, bugbears are, uh, SM+1, ST16, DR2, and their heads are an extra SM+1 on top of that; they carry polearms and clubs, giving them damage of X.”
  • Use the D&D module as the framework of your story, and add/subtract/modify to make a fun game. “Sneaking in the back way is too short, so I’ll add twisty passages and a deep ravine with a rock monster”
  • Improvise, a lot
  • Paladins with horses don’t belong in dungeons
  • GURPS is a toolkit, so have some idea what tools you want to add to your kit
Good advice. Don't convert stuff if you want to cut down on prep! Convert if you like the process. I did Forgotten Realms conversions for years, because I liked the challenge, but otherwise it wouldn't have been worth it. Once you do it the easy way, it's hard to got back though.

Don't even try to make up a new simple monster if you can swap in another one that's already in one of the books and sort of fits the ecology / story and challenge.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:48 AM   #26
kimjongfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBuddah View Post
All,

I'm in a unique position where I've had a friend who has recently been hospitalized with an injury and is currently recovering. He is living with his sister, a non-gamer and I have offered to run an in-person RPG for them. I have decided to use the 1e/2e D&D modules, since they require very little prep, but would prefer to use GURPS lite (4e) as the game system.

With that in mind, what resources would you recommend to help me convert the D&D modules to GURPS with as little prep as possible? Do I need to GURPS Dungeon Fantasy PDFs, and if so, which ones?

I don't think they'll be a lot of RP in this game, since our sessions will be limited to about 2 hours, so I plan to bring all the resources for each session with me.

What I have been doing is running some really, really simple rules like all spels 2 fp cost per spell, and just straight up converting and making caster levels magery level.
and I have also decidedly kept the xp / level system, but you can use the xp per gold find convert it to cp and make it 100 cp per 1k gold instead of 1:0 and have 1k gold be 1k xp in adventure treasure find.
kimjongfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:23 AM   #27
Desmondaceri
Banned

Default -

I seen on another topic post on this site, that it would be a good idea to push back the rubber over the bottom stud of the bag, same as the bag was when it was brand new and start over with the inflating and see if it sitting better that way. Would this be a good option for me to try out?
Desmondaceri is offline   Reply With Quote