Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 04-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #11
hal

Default Re: Pirates of Drinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Looking at DriveThruRPG they have:
The Pirates of Drinax (what you describe)
and then a bunch of others associated with the campaign:
Pirates of Drinax: Ship Encounters
Pirates of Drinax: Harrier class Commerce Raider
Pirates of Drinax: Theev
Pirates of Drinax: The Torpol Cluster
Pirates of Drinax: Gods of Marduk
Pirates of Drinax: Revolution on Acrid
Pirates of Drinax: Friends in Dry Places
Pirates of Drinax: Liberty Port
Pirates of Drinax: The Cordan Conflict
Pirates of Drinax: Lions of Thebus
The King is Dead

Any of them worthwhile?

What year is Pirates set in?
I haven't purchased any of the add ons - so I can't attest to how good/bad they may be.

As for the year this is nominally set it - 1105 is the set up. You can of course, choose to set it in another year - although I'd be leary of setting it up for a Millieu Zero campaign. ;)

One thing that I should point out as to why it may be worth your while to purchase Pirates of Drinax is that there is a reaction game mechanism that will be generated for every Imperial or every Aslan ship your pirate ship takes. Sooner or later, there will be consequences to the piratical activity... ;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #12
Buklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Just out of curiosity - has anyone run a GURPS TRAVELLER version of the PIRATES OF DRINAX?

I'm in the process of converting the ships over for use with GURPS and then working on ways to implement it for my own upcoming FG campaign.
I would like to know how is your Campaing going. I was about to start my own.
Buklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #13
hal

That got put on temporary hold as I deal with creating support material for online game play via Fantasy Grounds.

At one point, it looked like there might be a second player involved, but the guy never responded after the initial contact. No biggie.

Once I finish with two projects - one of which includes converting the Weapons to 4e format, We'll likely start the game.

I recently availed myself of the Best of JTAS from Far Futures for GURPS, but sadly, the material on the CD ROM for the JTAS is sub-par. There is a lot of "Garbage" mixed in with the HTML (which is what the CD contains filed of) that in some articles, ruins the legibility of the article.

If you want, I'll let you know once I start up the campaign and keep you in the loop. You can always simply email me directly from here and we can keep in touch that way, or you can simply download fantasy grounds (demo) for free, and we can touch base with what amounts to instant messaging that way.

:)

Good luck with your own campaign by the way. Do some bragging of your own games and let others get a look see at the fun you're having.

;)
Old 05-02-2020, 08:13 PM   #14
DAT

Quote:
That got put on temporary hold as I deal with creating support material for online game play via Fantasy Grounds.
I would be interested in what you think of Fantasy Grounds, and how you are planning on using it (alone, with Discord, with something else, or in person using it as the mapper)?

Quote:
At one point, it looked like there might be a second player involved, but the guy never responded after the initial contact. No biggie.

If you are using VTT, what time/days are you thinking of playing? … If you are looking for players.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:27 PM   #15
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
I would be interested in what you think of Fantasy Grounds, and how you are planning on using it (alone, with Discord, with something else, or in person using it as the mapper)?

If you are using VTT, what time/days are you thinking of playing? … If you are looking for players.
Hi DAT,
I use FG (Fantasy Grounds) text as the main vehicle for role playing (no Skype or Discord).

At present, my hours of availability are such that due to my work schedule - working 11 PM until 7:30 AM eastern time, are Monday's through Friday's 8 AM until Noon Eastern Standad Time - or Monday Evenings any time.

One of the best Cyberpunk campaigns I'd had the pleasure to enjoy as a GM took place from 10 PM until 4 AM Monday evenings due to the player being in a California Time zone.

What I had been planning on with respect to the Pirates of Drinax campaign was to permit players to generate a character using Mongoose Traveller's method of character generation, and then translating the character over to GURPS. Had one character that was generated as being the son of an Imperial Noble located on Mora, whose naval career came to an end, and the final four years as a "jet setting playboy" resulted in his travelling outside of the Third Imperium and ultimately starting on Drinax where he is summoned before the King.

Since the campaign predates the Fifth Frontier war by a healthy margin, there was some potential for that campaign to branch out beyond the original scope.

At present, the campaign is not in action - but, I've no problem with setting up one with you and/or any others should that come to be the case.

Almost forgot: I have the ultimate license, which permits any player to simply download the free version of Fantasy Grounds and join the campaign. There is no cost involved at your end.

And - as always, anyone curious about wanting to see what the software can do without necessarily joining in a campaign, can simply contact me saying "Hey Hal, can I see a demo of what is possible with the game?"

:)

Last edited by hal; 05-02-2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: almost forgot...
Old 07-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #16
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:

Once I finish with two projects - one of which includes converting the Weapons to 4e format, We'll likely start the game.
With the virus keeping us all home, I'm looking at running the Pirates of Drinax campaign in GURPS 4E. I'm wondering if you have made a weapons table in 4E? Personal weapons would be perfect. It's been a long time since I ran a Traveller campaign, and that was in GURPS 3rd Edition. Before we had kids. And now elder son is off to college in the fall.

Please let me know what you might have available. Thinking of running something evenings with the family.

Anything else you have in 4E is appreciated. I have Interstellar Wars already. And tons of GURPS 3rd materials for Traveller.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #17
Rigil_Kent

So, it looks like I may be spinning up a GURPS Traveller: Pirates of Drinax game for our Saturday Fantasy Grounds game myself. 3 of the 5 players have voted for that, with the other two having not yet voted...
Quote:
What I had been planning on with respect to the Pirates of Drinax campaign was to permit players to generate a character using Mongoose Traveller's method of character generation, and then translating the character over to GURPS.
I am really tempted to try and do the same with our group. I even own the MT2e ruleset for FG so there's that...

Am also tempted to run the first session as a sort of montage with the conceit that the Captain (whoever that turns out to be) having been recruited by the King and that PC is now recruiting the others from some less than ideal situations. Could be fun. Could be a disaster. So ... another day that ends with the letter Y...

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #18
AOTA

I've been running a GURPS Traveller Pirates of Drinax on Roll20 for about 4 months with my local group. Its turned out very well. Ran the First Prize adventure from the Drinaxian Companion and then started them on Honour Among Thieves. If all goes as planned they will finish the first adventure. I convert characters losely I just try to make them interesting. What little space combat I've ran I have done mostly abstract since I didn't want to bog down my players with too much info. Most of them are new to the Traveller universe.

By the way the Companion book has most of short supplemental stuff from Drive Thru. I really recommend it for running adventures in this setting.

I have to admit I've had a lot of fun with this setting.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive

Last edited by AOTA; 03-18-2021 at 10:22 AM. Reason: clarity
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #19
ethanrat

I am getting ready to start up a Drinax game myself in GURPS 4e. If anyone has any of the conversion work done they would be willing to share I would appreciate it.

This is going to be my first time GMing anything other then a one shot, so I am a bit worried about screwing something up converting it myself.
ethanrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #20
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanrat View Post
I am getting ready to start up a Drinax game myself in GURPS 4e. If anyone has any of the conversion work done they would be willing to share I would appreciate it.

This is going to be my first time GMing anything other then a one shot, so I am a bit worried about screwing something up converting it myself.
Ethanrat - if I may be so bold - left click on my name in my posts, a menu will drop down. In that menu, you will see "email" as an option. Email me if you ever need/want help. Also? You may want to enable the ability to send you private messages or emails as well - just in case someone wants to send you a private message without sending to an entire thread (you know, private thoughts). ;)

First piece of advice I'm going to offer you is this:

As with anything worth doing, there is a time where you dip your toe into teh water to discover whether you'll like doing it or not. But to become GOOD at what you do takes patience, imagination, sometimes quick thinking, and also - and to my way of thinking, a willingness to go where the players want to go instead of holding them to a prepared script. With my crew of gamers, they always find ways to veer off my planned for path, but still have a good time. Why? Because sometimes, where they want to go is far superior to what it is you first envisioned.

So relax. Do your best, know you will likely make mistakes, and learn from them. Best of all, be aware that you have certain strengths to offer - otherwise, you wouldn't be taking on the role of GM.

If you need a private sounding board, you know now, how to reach me via email. ;)