Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
Colarmel

Default Skills From Default

So, near as I can tell, there are no rules in the DFRPG for improving skills from default. Understandably, since keeping track of all your defaults can be a pain.

But say someone has Staff 21 and DX 16 and has WM (Staff). He runs into a slugbeast, which convinces him he needs another option, so he picks up a heavy spear. He eventually drops the points into Weaponmaster (Staffs and Spears (or something)) His skill from default is 19, more than enough to qualify for the Weapon Master bonus. But technically he has to know the skill. Can he put a point in it so he knows it, and use it with the damage bonus at default skill? Or does he need to bring Spear up to 18 the old fashioned way?
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #2
JMason

Default Re: Skills From Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
Can he put a point in it so he knows it, and use it with the damage bonus at default skill? Or does he need to bring Spear up to 18 the old fashioned way?
Your either using the default or your not. In this case I think you'd have to buy the skill up. Think of it as having to relearn something from the ground up in order to gain the benefits that come with skill proficiency.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I omitted improving skills from skill-to-skill defaults because, in GURPS, it was easily #3 – after "vehicle design" and "custom abilities" – on the "stuff the average player finds more annoying than fun" list. (Yes, people here will disagree, but remember that these forums self-select for diehard players, contributors, and staff who don't mind doing the math!)

Thus, the official, canonical answer for the DFRPG is that if you want the special benefits of a skill, which definitely includes damage bonuses, you must spend at least one point on the skill (Adventurers, p. 71). So if you have Staff at DX+10 and want to go around attacking things using Spear at Staff-2, or DX+8, that's fine . . . but that's just your roll to hit. You won't be able to enjoy the benefits of Weapon Master, even if it covers spears, until you've put at least one point in Spear. Once you do, though, I'd be happy enough to allow the skill to function at the higher level for all purposes.

That said, if you want to add GURPS back in and improve skills from default, it's your game. You paid for it, you're gaming with your friends, and I am not going to send minions for you in the night! So go right ahead.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
Colarmel

This is more or less what I figured.

In my normal games we do a lot of rule zero and roll and shout. I think it makes things a lot more fun.

But I also play in a strict RAW game, and there was some question in my mind over whether strict RAW would drop a skill below its default when you put a point in it.

Thanks for the answer Kromm.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Yes, people here will disagree, but remember that these forums self-select for diehard players, contributors, and staff who don't mind doing the math!
I personally don't disagree at all. In fact every time a Player mentions wanting to buy a skill up from default I give them the ole stink eye... because I have go and relearn how to do it (for some reason it's just not intuitive to me at all).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:24 AM   #6
martinl

Quote:
... and I am not going to send minions for you in the night! ...
Are the rules compliance minions on strike again?
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post

Are the rules compliance minions on strike again?
Nope. They just don't work nights. They're sticklers about the wording of their contract.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #8
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I personally don't disagree at all. In fact every time a Player mentions wanting to buy a skill up from default I give them the ole stink eye... because I have go and relearn how to do it (for some reason it's just not intuitive to me at all).
Best argument for incorporating d4s into GURPS.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #9
corwyn

Quote:

That said, if you want to add GURPS back in and improve skills from default, it's your game. You paid for it, you're gaming with your friends, and I am not going to send minions for you in the night! So go right ahead.
Now, that kind of talk isn't going to do your conspiratorial necromancer reputation any good.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:44 AM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Now, that kind of talk isn't going to do your conspiratorial necromancer reputation any good.
Why bother to send minions when this sin already binds your soul to eternal servitude when you die? Sheesh, what sort of evil necromancer cares what you do while you are still living?