Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
Dammann

Default Re: GURPS Releases seem to be slow?

Yep. I am excited for Ogre, but I am also feeling a little speck of irritation for the hold-ups it has introduced in GURPS. I wish more people would get on the rpg train, so that it made more sense for SJG to prioritize the line.

My fondest hope is that the lessons learned in the Ogre KS process translate to less disruption during the Carwars KS process. I wish SJG every success, but I hope GURPS isn't perennially held up because of a large project moving through the system.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Bruno

The problem was less "a large project" and more "a modest project that bloated into an ENORMOUS project within a 30 day period, with no prior warning".

Kickstarter projects with stretch goals have a very delicate problem - they're great for motivating more backers to join up, and existing backers to toss in more money, but they tend to multiply the time involved unless it's more "upgrade quality of existing product within a modest range" type stretch goals.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The problem was less "a large project" and more "a modest project that bloated into an ENORMOUS project within a 30 day period, with no prior warning".

Kickstarter projects with stretch goals have a very delicate problem - they're great for motivating more backers to join up, and existing backers to toss in more money, but they tend to multiply the time involved unless it's more "upgrade quality of existing product within a modest range" type stretch goals.
I like seeing Kickstarters do well (seeing as I am still at struggling wealth), so, on a lark I checked it out...

Christ.

I believe I may have failed a Fright Check.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Munchkin is still the king at Steve Jackson Games. I humbly acknowledge that my beloved GURPS is nowhere near being close to Munchkin in terms of net income it generates for the company. I know that they continue to produce GURPS because (1) it provides diversification to their income stream and (2) they love GURPS, so they want to support it.

Given how small GURPS is compared to Munchkin, I know they will focus on what brings in the most money. And given how many product lines they have in their RPGs, I know they'll spread their focus in the RPG production. So I know that, when they can spare people from Munchkin, they're going to see some "shotgun scattering" of products. Car Wars here, Ogre there, In Nomine, etc.

I like that they have these other income streams, it means I don't have to buy everything they produce (i.e., they have other fans who'll buy those product lines). It frustrates me that I can't buy more GURPS products as fast as I'd like, but I know they need to go wherever they can get an income stream with enough profitability.

So yeah. Less than a dozen new non-Pyramid GURPS items this year? I can accept that. Better that SJ Games, as a whole, does well, so they can continue to put out some GURPS products, than they focus primarily on GURPS and go out of business altogether.
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
coyote6

I'm hoping most of those GURPS items get published (or at least ready to be published) before the Car Wars Kickstarter. It would be very frustrating for things to clear the Ogre, only to get caught in a traffic jam.

Well, I guess I'd be okay with it if the Car Wars KS had Vehicle Design and a new edition of GURPS AUTODUEL as a stretch goal. :)
Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
Aneirin

I just hope technical grappling is released before next March as that is when I am GM'ing next and would love to have that to hand...though I fear I may not.
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
I just hope technical grappling is released before next March . . .
I agree. Wholeheartedly. :-\
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
Faolyn

Why are the After The End books on hold?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
Why are the After The End books on hold?
Really? You're going to phrase your question in such a perfect straight line way?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
GURPS Technical Grappling. GURPS Adventure Guns. GURPS Vehicle Design System.

Now you've heard several more mentioned.
How upcoming is GURPS Vehicle Design System?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote