Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 06-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #31
griffin

Default Re: Stuff I'd like to see in Pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Here are some things I'd like to see in Pyramid:

That's all I can think of at present.
OK, I thought of some more articles I'd like to see in Pyramid - Follow ups!

[Sample articles anyone can see I believe, others are limited to subscribers].

Beyond Sylvan War Lore By Neal Byles. I'd love to see a GURPS 4e compliant follow up article regarding fantasy martial arts styles.

Cinematic Martial Arts in Vampire: The Masquerade.
OK, so I know the license has lapsed. Besides I think a more generic article for vampire martial arts fighting styles would be better. The vamps on Buffy the Vampire Slayer always seem to know a little martial arts even if they are just out of the ground!

Thrust! Parry! Spin! This is subtitled "Tactics for Cinematic Combat"
by Matt Riggsby. Some of this is probably made obsolete by GURPS Martial Arts for 4e, but a good deal of it is still relevant. An update and expansion for 4e would be nice.

Take'em Down by John Tynes. A very cool article on cinematic gaming by former line editor for Feng Shui. Tynes definitely gets cinematic gaming. I believe he's working for Microsoft now on Xbox development so it might be hard to get an article out of him these days. But it would be cool to see one from him.

Storming Post-Modern Fortresses. Might be nice to see a follow up to this article from Eric Funk.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #32
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Here's what I'd like to see, minus the totally obvious*:

- 4e updates of 3e martial arts and combat articles (Han's various guns articles).

- more drop-in-and-use magic items, monsters, and villains. Mostly I see artifacts that wildly change the game world, monsters suited for horror games, and villains who you need to re-write totally or write the game around before they matter. That I can do myself. Stuff that's generic and useful enough to drop in tonight's game without major modification or prep work? That's pure gold. Don't help me find the centerpiece for my next 10-year long campaign, help me entertain folks next Friday.

- more Dungeon Fantasy support.

- more short articles on locations and groups. I don't need a full writeup of a giant ringworld or a secret society that runs the world. I could use a description of what a specific type of guild does and how they are laid out, or a writeup of a single earth city at a major historical interest point. The history of all guilds, complete with "every situation is different" advice isn't as useful as completed work - the glassblower's guild of Venice in the Renaissance is more useful to me than a vague guide to all guilds in all cultures in all places at all times.

That's stuff I'd tune in to read.

* i.e. articles by me, articles co-written by me, articles linking to my books to encourage sales, etc. Me, me, me. Enough about you, let's talk about me.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #33
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Thrust! Parry! Spin! This is subtitled "Tactics for Cinematic Combat"
by Matt Riggsby. Some of this is probably made obsolete by GURPS Martial Arts for 4e, but a good deal of it is still relevant. An update and expansion for 4e would be nice.
Actually, this is 100% systemless, so none of it has been rendered obsolete. But I can see some value in an article translating the system-free descriptions of swashbuckling maneuvers into game mechanics.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #34
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
Actually, this is 100% systemless, so none of it has been rendered obsolete. But I can see some value in an article translating the system-free descriptions of swashbuckling maneuvers into game mechanics.
OK, sure enough.

I'd like to see more cinematic gaming material for GURPS 4e.

I'd love to see an update of Cinematic Points! - GURPS Rules for Cinematic Play
by Chad Underkoffler.

I'd also an updated, refined, and simpler version of Brian Reeves' GURPS Dramatic Card Play

An update of Chad Underkoff's Chi Magic article might be nice, updating things for GURPS 4e with an eye towards use of GURPS Powers and GURPS Martial Arts. http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/login...le.html?id=313
Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #35
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Pyramid can never go wrong publishing stuff by Chad Underkoffler.

But, I suspect the problem is that Chad isn't submitting as much lately. If he was, I'm sure we'd see more of his stuff up there! I miss CiAB, myself.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #36
griffin

More on follow ups I'd like to see.

Campaign in a Box

I'd like to see a few of these with follow up articles adding depth or fleshing out parts that haven't been explored. I'd like to see some adventures written for them.

The Bat Pack is one I'd definitely like to see more on.

Kung-Fu Crucible is also one I'd like to see a follow up for in terms of an adventure, or at least some adventure seeds.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #37
griffin

OK, more stuff I want to see in Pyramid:

Videogame weapons. If it doesn't violate copyright or trademark I'd love to see articles which do the same for videogames as what is done for the Pyramid articles dealing with Guns in the Movies. I'd love to see some stuff on doing the fictional weapons from Halo series, Gears of War, Quake, Fallout, etc.

I'd like to see an article on adapting videogame plotlines for use in gaming adventures.

I'd love to see more art in Pyramid. A couple of illustrations each issue would be welcomed. Especially as we seem to have lost the comics.

I really like maps, so any adventure with maps is greatly appreciated.

How about a follow up on Eric Funk's Spellslinger setting. I could go for an adventure set in that setting, especially if it could also be adapted easily for use in Deadlands.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #38
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
Here's what I'd like to see, ...

- ... Stuff that's generic and useful enough to drop in tonight's game without major modification or prep work? That's pure gold. Don't help me find the centerpiece for my next 10-year long campaign, help me entertain folks next Friday.
Agreed. I really want stuff that's memorable but immediately useful with application in a wide area of campaign types/settings.

Quote:
- more Dungeon Fantasy support.
Such as? I think I agree, but I can't for the life of me think what this should be.

Quote:
- more short articles on locations and groups. I don't need a full writeup of a giant ringworld or a secret society that runs the world. I could use a description of what a specific type of guild does and how they are laid out, or a writeup of a single earth city at a major historical interest point. The history of all guilds, complete with "every situation is different" advice isn't as useful as completed work - the glassblower's guild of Venice in the Renaissance is more useful to me than a vague guide to all guilds in all cultures in all places at all times.
This would probably be my number one thing I'd love to see in Pyramid. For instance I'd love to see non-humorous write ups of businesses say a restaurant chain. I want places where the PCs can go to gather information, hang out, buy and sell things, conduct business. Give me places that help make use of Area Knowledge, Merchant, Carousing, and Contacts. Extra credit if you can link to existing Pyramid articles.

It might be nice to get details on Chester Lawless's (retired Black Op) museum.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #39
HANS

Quote:
Videogame weapons. If it doesn't violate copyright or trademark I'd love to see articles which do the same for videogames as what is done for the Pyramid articles dealing with Guns in the Movies. I'd love to see some stuff on doing the fictional weapons from Halo series, Gears of War, Quake, Fallout, etc.
I explored this for movies (specifically with ALIENS, BLADERUNNER, and similar flicks in mind). Not possible. Copyright issues, at least regarding fictional weaponry like the M41A pulse rifles -- I could talk no end about the H&K VP70 used by LT Gorman or the S&W Model 39 employed by Vasquez.

Cheers

HANS
Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #40
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS
I explored this for movies (specifically with ALIENS, BLADERUNNER, and similar flicks in mind). Not possible. Copyright issues, at least regarding fictional weaponry like the M41A pulse rifles -- I could talk no end about the H&K VP70 used by LT Gorman or the S&W Model 39 employed by Vasquez.

Cheers

HANS
I figured as much, but had hope it wasn't the case. Halo, of course, is heavily Aliens inspired - from the drop ships, rifles, etc.