Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
rambo_verm

Default Steal a level card

When both me and another player are at level 9, can I play the steal a level card on him so he would just go down 1 level?
rambo_verm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Steal a level card

No. You can't use an ability or card that gives you a Level if you're at Level 9 unless that ability/card says otherwise, or you're playing an Epic game.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
rambo_verm

I know that I can't reach level 10, but can I play it on someone else so he would just go down 1 level?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

You can not play a card or use an ability that would give you a Level if you must kill a Monster to get that Level. So, no, you can not play Steal A Level to make someone lose a Level if you are Level 9 and playing a normal game because that card will give you a Level as part of its primary effect.
MiB #1029
Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
rambo_verm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
You can not play a card or use an ability that would give you a Level if you must kill a Monster to get that Level. So, no, you can not play Steal A Level to make someone lose a Level if you are Level 9 and playing a normal game because that card will give you a Level as part of its primary effect.
Oh OK I understand now I think. So you can't play any card that was supposed to give you an extra level when you are at level 9, not even when it has another effect? For example, you can't play the 'Kill the hireling GUAL' card when you are at level 9 just to kill someone elses hireling?

Guess we played the game wrong last time then, thanks for the response MunchkinMan.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
stopyelling

So if I am level 9 and get two GUAL cards. I can't play them with no effect? I need to keep them in my hand?
stopyelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

Given what I said earlier: No, you can not play them without effect. It's pretty straightforward: You can't go up a Level, so you can't use cards that would let you go up a Level. We give you lots of options to get rid of cards from your hand so you don't have to give them away as Charity, but we draw the line at playing cards that would give you a Level you can't get without killing a Monster. Obvious exceptions to that would be cards that say, explicitly, that they can give you the winning Level.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 09-21-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Pleh

Quote:
Q. Can I play Go Up a Level cards on another player – for instance, to make him go up to a level so that a monster that would previously ignore him will now chase him?
A. This is not the original intent of Go Up a Level cards, but it is such a munchkinly and vile idea that we like it too much to say no. So you can play Go Up a Level cards on another player. But just as when playing a Go Up a Level on yourself, the munchkin must legally be able to gain that level. You cannot play a Go Up a Level card, even one with a secondary effect, on a munchkin who has to kill a monster to gain that level.
If you REALLY don't want to give away GUALs for charity, you can always play them on another player instead. Why in the world would you want to do this? To avoid charity and place the power of choosing who gets the level into your own hands. Perhaps you could bribe someone with it.

Just be sure that your target can have that card played on them legally.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
stopyelling

I love this game
stopyelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
ThePokergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
If you REALLY don't want to give away GUALs for charity, you can always play them on another player instead. Why in the world would you want to do this? To avoid charity and place the power of choosing who gets the level into your own hands. Perhaps you could bribe someone with it.

Just be sure that your target can have that card played on them legally.
You know, as savvy as I am with this game, I had never considered using a GUAL card as a bargaining chip... That's pretty epic.

Good insight, Pleh. :-)
ThePokergod is offline   Reply With Quote