Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
RadSprack

Default How would YOU build them?!??

I'm starting a game soon with my buddies in an sort of anime influenced world. With this in mind, I want to know how YOU would build some of these more popular/well known characters so I can kind of come to the table with a well rounded sense of abilities and powers in an anime-ish setting. I bring this to you in hopes of getting multiple points of view on well known characters because my players and I are all new to using powers. Plus, I'd kinda like to see how these characters stack up next to others.

Earlier versions (right around when they start their adventure (if applicable)) would be super helpful in getting my head wrapped around starting my players and NPCs.

Characters I am mainly interested in see ing as follows:

Luffy (One Piece)
Zoro (One Piece)
Garp (One Piece)
Gon (Hunter x Hunter)
Kurapika (HxH)
Natsu (Fairy Tail)
Erza (Fairy Tail)

As you can probably tell, I'm looking mainly at fantasy type characters, do feel free to add your own well known characters that are out there if you don't like any of those that are on my list.
RadSprack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: How would YOU build them?!??

Well, I'd start with piles of... um... I actually haven't seen any of these, I haven't got a clue. If the characters have nice, descriptive wiki articles, you should add links so people who are willing to expend limited effort being helpful can do so efficiently.

Wait, Luffy is made of rubber, right?

IT:homogeneous: poking holes in him doesn't hurt much
IT:DR 1 (cutting bane): no really, poking holes doesn't work, and crushing bounces off
Stretching: obv
Super Throw*: he slingshots things with his arms, right?
Super Jump: he slingshots himself, right? There's even a Bouncing modifier in Powers
Innate Attack: if he's got a super-powerful wind-up punch, build it as an IA
DR (crushing only, reflection): a different, more literal way to model blunt weapons bouncing off

*it's essentially the only new Advantage in Supers)
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSprack View Post
Luffy (One Piece)
Zoro (One Piece)
Garp (One Piece)
I can't help with the other anime but I know One Piece fairly well though only from the English dubs seen on Cartoon Network.

Garp, however is a mystery to me. I even went through the Wikipedia article thinking this was an original Japanese name that was changed in the some of the dubs (like Zoro/Zolo) but he wasn't there. You probably need to describe him.

Doing Luffy and Zoro is going to take lots of pts even going back to the early episodes. A particular problem is their massive strength which is something that Gurps 4e has a difficult relationship with.

McAllister gave you some decent generic advice about Luffy (though I think he underestimates Luffy's durability, I can't remember ever seeing any weapon draw blood from Luffy) You really may not have or want to spend the pts to get the full effect though.

Zoro is in the General category of Weapon Master: Katana. His Three Swords Style could be covered by several things like Off-Hand Weapon and Dual Weapon Attack Techniques but multiple swords is so key to his style that you might as well buy Extra Attacks for the sake of simplicity.

Gurps Martial Arts does not really take into consideration the possibility of effective attacks with a katana whose hilt is clenched in your teeth but it doesn't actually forbid it. :) So just buy the 2nd Extra Attack and don't ask too many questions.

Besides WM Zoro has many war-like advantages such as Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold and even Enhanced Time Sense (which would make Combat Reflexes superfluous).

Then there are the Skills. A huge level of Broadsword (which covers Katana in one hand) and stuff like Parry Missile Weapons, Body Control and Meditation. Possibly Autohypnosis too.

I want to re-emphasize that his is a _very_ high level game you're contemplating with characters who can be complex as well as expensive in terms of point total. You might as well go through the Characvters book page by page and make notes as you go "Saw somebody do that, that and that too.".

Specific questions will be given whatever help I can manage.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Zoro (One Piece)
Garp (One Piece)
Zolo[1]? He needs really good ST, Weapon Master(Katana), Broadsword at a cinematically high level, Ambidexterity, and Extra Arm(Short, Weapon Mount) to hold his third sword with. Probably some combination of the Extra Attack advantage or buying the Dual-Weapon Attack technique twice. Gobs of extra HP and DR with Tough Skin or Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction in some combination over and above his crazy high ST in order to absorb as much punishment as he does. HT15+ for the purposes of death and unconsciousness checks, whether bought raw or from the Hard to Kill and Hard to Subdue advantages.

He doesn't have Alcohol Tolerance, but does have enough common sense not to get himself drunk when he comes to a strange island where people are showering the party with free booze.

Yeah, I prefer the 4Kids dub. So sue me.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
McAllister gave you some decent generic advice about Luffy (though I think he underestimates Luffy's durability, I can't remember ever seeing any weapon draw blood from Luffy) You really may not have or want to spend the pts to get the full effect though.
You're totally right, I was going from the one issue of Shonen Jump I read. It might be fastest to buy IT:Diffuse and just say that no attack will ever do more than scratch him. Hell, combine it with DR 4 (absorption +80%, healing only; tough skin -40%) and even attacks that penetrate will heal as soon as you activate the absorption... which, I have no idea what kind of action that is, but screw it.

...is it possible no attack draws blood because he's no longer full of blood?

Also, Extra Arm (Weapon Mount) is definitely that guy's teeth.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
You're totally right, I was going from the one issue of Shonen Jump I read. .
I've never read any of the manga and it's possible for anime to be significantly different from the manga they're based on.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
...is it possible no attack draws blood because he's no longer full of blood?
It is! IT: No Blood, yours for only 5 points!

Quote:
Also, Extra Arm (Weapon Mount) is definitely that guy's teeth.
Yeah, this is what I'd use. Don't make it short if you want to do swings.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
Otaku

Quote:
I'm starting a game soon with my buddies in an sort of anime influenced world. With this in mind, I want to know how YOU would build some of these more popular/well known characters so I can kind of come to the table with a well rounded sense of abilities and powers in an anime-ish setting. I bring this to you in hopes of getting multiple points of view on well known characters because my players and I are all new to using powers. Plus, I'd kinda like to see how these characters stack up next to others.

Earlier versions (right around when they start their adventure (if applicable)) would be super helpful in getting my head wrapped around starting my players and NPCs.

Characters I am mainly interested in see ing as follows:

Luffy (One Piece)
Zoro (One Piece)
Garp (One Piece)
Gon (Hunter x Hunter)
Kurapika (HxH)
Natsu (Fairy Tail)
Erza (Fairy Tail)

As you can probably tell, I'm looking mainly at fantasy type characters, do feel free to add your own well known characters that are out there if you don't like any of those that are on my list.
Reference sources would be useful; besides the fact that the forum members most knowledgeable about building such characters may not have a clue what the series is about, some series are vague about abilities so it helps to know what you think applies versus what I may think applies. A generic "spoilers" warning may be warranted. Although some of these series date back to the late 90s, they aren't exactly "Star Wars" level of cultural penetration... especially outside of Japan. Also... I highly recommend Hunter X Hunter (2011 series). As it nearly caught up with the manga (and the manga unfortunately is back on hiatus again), the series ended with episode #148 just this last Tuesday. ;)

I've nearly started this same thread half a dozen times because my own attempts at building them usually end after about 20-30 minutes of "...where do I even start?" (so I've got no results to even post from past attempts). Where I can help is providing some trouble shooting because I've seen all of the 2011 Hunter X Hunter series (only available subbed) and read approximately the first half of the manga (official English release), have seen almost all 663 episodes of One Piece (all subbed, plus some also watched dubbed) as well as having read a good chunk of the manga (again, official English release). For Fairy Tail I've only read the last... one to three dozen chapters (Crunchyroll translations), but have seen the entire series subbed. So... I at least half know what I am talking about. ^^'

The reason I bring this up is because... Luffy most definitely bleeds in One Piece (other than the 4Kids dub - did anyone ever bleed in that?). He also still has his internal organs... however his entire body is rubbery all the way through (even apparently taking less damage from electrical attacks). So if you try to crush him to death, you fail. Even if a bullet strikes him and should hit his heart, his body just stretches with it and he seems to take no injury (bullets are almost always depicted as being round spheres in this setting, though I could be wrong). On the other hand we've seen darts pierce his skin, explosions damage him (though perhaps less than they should), blades cut him, etc.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 09-27-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
Otaku

Quote:
I can't help with the other anime but I know One Piece fairly well though only from the English dubs seen on Cartoon Network.
What episode are they on for CN? It might matter as a point of reference. You've got some people watching it there, some people watching it via the home video releases, and some people watching the subbed episodes available on Crunchyroll, Funimation and Hulu's websites (as in officially, legally available).

Quote:
Garp, however is a mystery to me. I even went through the Wikipedia article thinking this was an original Japanese name that was changed in the some of the dubs (like Zoro/Zolo) but he wasn't there. You probably need to describe him.
Not sure about the linking rules here (too many forums with their own particular spin), but I just checked Wikipedia and he's there. I just did Ctrl+F for "Garp". Garp is either his personal name or middle name; his family name is listed first.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
RadSprack

Quote:
Well, I'd start with piles of... um... I actually haven't seen any of these, I haven't got a clue. If the characters have nice, descriptive wiki articles, you should add links so people who are willing to expend limited effort being helpful can do so efficiently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Reference sources would be useful; besides the fact that the forum members most knowledgeable about building such characters may not have a clue what the series is about, some series are vague about abilities so it helps to know what you think applies versus what I may think applies. A generic "spoilers" warning may be warranted. Although some of these series date back to the late 90s, they aren't exactly "Star Wars" level of cultural penetration... especially outside of Japan. Also... I highly recommend Hunter X Hunter (2011 series). As it nearly caught up with the manga (and the manga unfortunately is back on hiatus again), the series ended with episode #148 just this last Tuesday. ;)
I will certainly get on that as soon as I can. I posted this thread at work last night from my phone and I am in the same boat right now. As soon as I get home to my desktop or know that I would have the time to set aside for that here, I will make reference wikis happen.
RadSprack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assistance needed, character building, help me out here, new gm, powers