Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #21
Fred Brackin

Default Re: How would YOU build them?!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Talent reduces the time so 4 levels would let him Streatch +-5 * SM of body part.
I.
Why would Talent affect the time it takes to stretch?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #22
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Also of note about negating Devil Fruit powers; immersion in standing water (regardless of the type) will negate a Devil Fruit Users powers .
It's slightly more complicated than that. In the arc about Nami's village Luffy was stuck at the bottom of the ocean and certainly wasn't able to use his powers to get himself out of that fix but Sanji grabbed Luffy's head and stretch Luffy's neck until the head was above the water and Luffy was able to breathe.

The result might be something like one of the Incapacitating Afflictions starting on p.428. Perhaps a variant of Seizure. It's something that almost but not quite knocks out the victim but doesn't negate "passive" use of the power

There's still a "can't Float" too.

Anyway, this would just be an example of how to do things _like_ the Devil Fruit Curse.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #23
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Why would Talent affect the time it takes to stretch?
Power Talents sometimes do odd things, other then just add to skill rolls.
Since there is no skill roll for Stretching maybe Kromm or Phil thought it added needed flair.
But its in Powers under Stretching.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #24
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Am I reading that wrong, or are you saying to alter materials for your own... game? Personal consumption? Job at localizing such shows?
Nope, the words "think they" just slipped out from between "I" and "sometimes" before I posted. I had the same problem a few days ago with the word "Not" disappearing from one of my YouTube comments.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #25
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's slightly more complicated than that. In the arc about Nami's village Luffy was stuck at the bottom of the ocean and certainly wasn't able to use his powers to get himself out of that fix but Sanji grabbed Luffy's head and stretch Luffy's neck until the head was above the water and Luffy was able to breathe.
Good catch. The answer I just found is that it depends on if the bodily change is permanent or transitional; Luffy is always made out of rubber (or flesh that behaves like rubber), so even while submerged, parts of him can stretch (especially if something else is doing the stretching. On the other hand some characters seem to shift between form/body composition, they revert to whatever is considered their natural state. Why a Sea-Prism Stone thus can prove more effective than actual water is not explained; could be an oversight, could be something that will be explained more in the future, could just be that I don't get the otherwise logical answer. XD

Oh, and someone with the power of the Dark-Dark Fruit seems to completely negate powers as well, so long as they are touching said power user.

Another area of concern are the classes of Devil Fruit and how they interact with each other (in general and in specific "elemental" relationships): Paramecia, Zoan and Logia. Unfortunately explaining the differences between Paramecia and Logia is a bit... awkward. I guess that the former, which are considered more common also lead to "weaker" abilities. The Gum-Gum fruit is a Paramecia, so Luffy's body is changed to rubber-like flesh but he can't, for example, create rubber. The opposite also happens; Galdeno (Mr. 3) can create seemingly limitless amounts of wax and shape it, but he himself is still flesh and blood (though his topknot does ignite when he uses his powers as part of the "Candle" motif). Logia users are composed of their "element", at least while they are conscious and/or their ability works plus they can generate and manipulate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Nope, the words "think they" just slipped out from between "I" and "sometimes" before I posted. I had the same problem a few days ago with the word "Not" disappearing from one of my YouTube comments.
Thanks. I have this issue all the time, and coupled with how easy it is to misread things, appreciate the clarification so I know what happened (even if it was probably obvious to everyone else).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assistance needed, character building, help me out here, new gm, powers