Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
Henchman99942

Default One-handed weapons two-handed

Is there a treatise on using one handed weapons two handed? Does the second hand add to your effective strength? Does using a one handed weapon in a two handed style add damage?

Looking through the weapons lists, it seems that there are special cases where this would be true. But I haven't seen a comprehensive system for handling this.

Also, DF has rules for oversized weapons. How about for undersized ones?
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: One-handed weapons two-handed

Undersized weapons are handled in Low-Tech Companion 2.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
ArchonShiva

If you don't have LTC2, you can get a feel for it looking at the Bastard Sword in the Basic Set. Generally speaking, -1 Min ST, +1 damage, and maybe one step better on weapon speed (unbalanced to unbalanced parry to normal).

Another example to look at is the Duelling polearms in Low Tech itself: they're still two-handed, but you can see how a smaller weapon compares to the full-sized 2-handed version.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Defensive Grip (from Martial Arts) provides a general way for putting a second hand on a one-handed weapon. It's fairly likely that it doesn't have the effects you want from adding a hand, though.

I don't think there are fully general rules for adding a hand, because depending on the weapon that doesn't necessarily work so well.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Most one-handers cannot be 'wielded' two-handed. There just isn't anywhere to put the second hand.

Mostly that only happens in grapple struggles, for instance in close combat struggling with a knife. In this case you don't change anything, it's a grapple.

For other weapons with long enough hafts, but which aren't designed to be two-handed; Escrima sticks, Tonfa wielded like a club, Clubs, Axes/Maces with long enough hafts, Oversizded One -Handed weapons, etc (where you could put two-hands on the weapons haft/grip) treat it like ArchonShiva mentions, +1 dm, -1 Min Str, but reduce reach by 1 to a minimum of C.

Don't forget to add +2 to attempts to kept control of the weapon versus Disarms.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Defensive Grip (from Martial Arts) provides a general way for putting a second hand on a one-handed weapon. It's fairly likely that it doesn't have the effects you want from adding a hand, though.
Yes, if a weapon has a stat line for a one-handed-grip, use that, otherwise use the Defensive Grip rules in Martial Arts.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Yes, if a weapon has a stat line for a one-handed-grip, use that, otherwise use the Defensive Grip rules in Martial Arts.
Okay, 2 people advocating it? I went ahead and looked it up (haven't run a campaign that has used Martial Arts so I've been putting off reading it).

Defensive Grip boiled down:

All Weapons:
Requires a Ready Action to engage Defensive Grip and to return to normal grip; +1 Parry from front, -1 Parry from side (net -3).
One-Handed Weapon:
-2 to hit, +1 dam, treat as 2-handed for all purposes (+2 vs Disarms), Fencing weapons may Parry Flails.
Two-Handed Weapons:
-1 to breakage odds, -2 to hit with Wild Swings, -2 dam or -1/die whichever is worse.
With a Sword specifically:
May grip just behind the tip, Reach drops to C, dam is thr imp or thr cr, sw is not possible, +2 to hit targeting chinks in armor.

All maneuvers remain available.

These rules are perfectly fine, the ones I listed earlier were my 'Quick and Dirty' way I've been handling it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
one-handed, two-handed