Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default [IC] Lost in Dreams [Elijah]

Elijah Wilder usually had trouble going to sleep, not trouble waking up. Yet his dreams wound on and on ... First he dreamed about a human sacrifice by a bunch of half-naked savages, imploring a volcano god for aid. The victim was thrown into the cold caldera, breaking both her legs as she fell.

The he dreamed of a raging ocean and storm, with massive sea creatures moving around, and a giant lizard washing up on the beach.

Then he dreamed of lots of small creatures running through a jungle, fleeing from some great terror. It was worse than unknowable, it was a known terror, a present one, one meant to destroy and consume the creatures.

The dreams went on and on, and Elijah could not wake up....

When he finally did wake up it was under a broad fern. He was in a jungle, stark naked, and sitting in a puddle. The rain was falling, or at least he could hear pattering on the leaves above him, streams of water ran by him.

It was about then he spotted the spider: 2 feet across, all hair and legs, and about 6 feet way, climbing down a tree.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Talosian

Default Re: Lost in Dreams [Elijah]

Elijah's eyes slowly open, and the day greets him with a rain drop to the eye. Blinking the water from his eyes, he sits up, and looks around. Where the hell am I? His senses filled with the plethora of sounds, sights, and smells of the jungle, it takes him a moment to realize that he is naked, and sitting in a muddy puddle. Rubbing his eyes in disbelief, he looks around again, and this time his eyes alight upon an enormous spider. Still stunned by his surroundings, he freezes for just a moment, than scrambles to his feet, and makes to run the opposite direction, screaming incoherently. I hope that's not a jumping spider, he thinks as he takes off.

(He'll be hell bent for leather away from the spider, unless there's one behind him too. Running as fast as he safely can through the jungle.)

Last edited by Talosian; 02-23-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Elijah runs from the spider, leaping through the undergrowth, until his foot sinks into deep mud: a large flat river winding lazily through the forest. Thats when he gets a glimpse of the huge beast in it: a dinosaur.

The long neck sticks out of the river, and it reaches to the jungle vegetation growing on either side of the bank. Behind it are two smaller creatures of the same kind, swimming towards the near shore about 100 yards down the bank.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Talosian

Elijah's jaw drops at the sight before him. Numb with shock, he attempts to step backwards, and falls backwards, landing in the mud with a splash. (Presuming his foot isn't totally stuck): He scoots himself back a few feet in the mud, and scrambles to his feet. He stares dumbfounded at the dinosaurs for a moment, hoping desperately that they aren't dangerous.

(If anything startles him, or if something looks dangerous, he'll take off upstream along the bank. Otherwise he's just going to stand there with a dumb look on his face.)
Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Elijah stands there for quite some time, viewing the massive creatures. It was a ... "diplodocus?" It was kind of fuzzy in his mind. There are so many different kinds, though some are iconic.

As he stands there, realizations slowly trickle through his brain. There are no birds in the sky, only pterosaurs. The plants don't look familiar at all, dominated by ferns. The DragonFlies out on the river are enormous, over 3 feet across. The site is both awesome and alien.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Talosian

"What the f**k?" This has got to be a dream. Still in shock, Elijah stares around slowly, taking in his surroundings. Remembering the spider, he checks behind him, then looks around for a place where he can get a better view.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The area is a dense jungle that fades into forest farther back, plus the river. He's already seen a most of what he can using the open space on the river... the massive sauropods, the giant dragon flies, pterosaurs, and Some smaller dinosaurs... hardosaurs? is that what they were? farther down the river. If you can call 4 ton beasts small.

apart from the open expanse of the river the other way to look around would be to climb a tree and use it as a perch.

OOC: what is he looking for?

Old 02-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Talosian

(Anything at all, really.)

Elijah hesitates when he sees the dinosaurs down river. Oh f**k. Do those ones eat meat? Unsure of whether or not he'd be on the menu, he decides to head upriver, and away from the dinosaurs. Still pausing to stare in slack-jawed wonder at every new thing he sees.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

As he journeys up river, Elijah sees more of the large creatures. They are relatively rare though, and if he wasn't on the river he doubted he would have seen them. The most common creatures seen are the Pterosaurs and the massive insects.

His lack of clothing isn't presenting a problem temperature wise, but it is attracting mosquitoes.

The bank of the river itself is clogged with thick undergrowth, but he can travel up the bank either a ways off the bank, under the forest canopy, or by wading.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Talosian

Faced with the choice of putting part of his body underwater, or returning to the jungle, Elijah decides that it would be wiser to stay on land for the time being, warily walking into the jungle. While there, he tears off the biggest leaf he can find, and uses it to swat at mosquitoes.

Tags
lost in dreams