Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #41
whswhs

Default Re: Using Erotic Art Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Interesting, I think Acting would also be a good choice, though I can see someone using Performance to adopt the guise of an innocent character (with hundreds of thousands of plays, movies, etc and millions of characters, you could potentially find a suitable character for every social interaction). If the individual in question is unfamiliar with the material, they could mistaken a good performance for the real thing.
In general, Performance is intended to make you look good in a role on stage or screen, not to actually deceive anyone. Of course Acting defaults to Performance-2, and I wouldn't have a problem with someone wanting to use that default.

As for playing a role from an existing script or scenario, I might allow a bonus for that if you took a perk. It wouldn't quite be the Rehearsed Role per from GURPS SE, but it's kind of related to it. On the other hand, if your target is familiar with the character you're playing, that might give you a penalty rather than a bonus, or give them a bonus to see through the deception.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #42
Yafnag

Talking about Performance and Erotic Art, what is, in GURPS terms, a classic peplum/sword and sorcery dance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5BBCZ2ShPk

Erotic Art with Performance as complementary skill?
Dancing with Sex Appeal as complementary skill?
Or what else combination of them?

And how differentiate Erotic Art + Dancing from Sex Appeal + Dancing?
Yafnag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #43
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yafnag View Post
Talking about Performance and Erotic Art, what is, in GURPS terms, a classic peplum/sword and sorcery dance?
I could see Dancing or Performance being used as complementary skills (or vice-versa) for Sex Appeal for strip-tease acts. Erotic Art would be used for outright displays of sexual performance, such as x-rated sex club shows.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #44
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I'm pretty sure that both PS (Courtesan) and PS (Chef) would be a bit like Soldier (or indeed like most other Professional or Expert skills): covering specific applications of two or more skills that the profession needs (a courtesan has to negotiate, among other things, and a chef in the sense that would require a Professional Skill is short for chef de cuisine: the leader of a group of kitchen workers, who must be able to lead and organize them).
Exactly.

High PS (Chef/Food Service) + Low/No Cooking skill = brilliant operator of a huge industrial kitchen that produces edible but mediocre food. Think mess sergeants or hospital food service supervisors.

High Cooking skill + Low/No PS (Chef) skill = Brilliant Sous Chef who struggles to feed anything more than about 10-20 people at a time on his/her own and who will struggle when managing a large food service operation. In order to produce good food on a large scale, the person described above needs a lot of these guys/gals.

This split is based on the assumption that the best cooking is cooked to order in relatively small batches using freshly prepped ingredients. You can cook for up to 20-50 people using Cooking skill, but cooking for larger groups of people, especially if the things you're cooking require a lot of lead time, and/or you're cooking a number of different dishes, is either a Pro Skill or at least a Technique.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 08-15-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #45
WaterAndWindSpirit

Well, a clear cut example of Sex Appeal + Erotic Art happens in Fallout New Vegas when you can seduce the guy who shot you in the head in the intro cutscene, sleep with him and kill him in his sleep with a dialogue option if you have the "Black Widow" perk. If your character makes a habit of pulling such kills, you might just want to invest in those two skills.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 PM   #46
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Well, a clear cut example of Sex Appeal + Erotic Art happens in Fallout New Vegas when you can seduce the guy who shot you in the head in the intro cutscene, sleep with him and kill him in his sleep with a dialogue option if you have the "Black Widow" perk. If your character makes a habit of pulling such kills, you might just want to invest in those two skills.
Where's the Erotic Art roll? That's the skill of "advanced sexual techniques"; do they show specific sexual techniques being used?

Old 08-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #47
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Where's the Erotic Art roll? That's the skill of "advanced sexual techniques"; do they show specific sexual techniques being used?
It's not outright stated, but the dialogue implies your character has given him a hell of a night before killing him. :P He even fell asleep right after your character is done with him.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:50 PM   #48
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
It's not outright stated, but the dialogue implies your character has given him a hell of a night before killing him. :P He even fell asleep right after your character is done with him.
Well, a fair number of guys do THAT. But I'll grant that "was really, really good" could be taken as Erotic Art. Maybe not "clear cut" but "plausible" I'll give you.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:33 AM   #49
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Interesting, I think Acting would also be a good choice, though I can see someone using Performance to adopt the guise of an innocent character (with hundreds of thousands of plays, movies, etc and millions of characters, you could potentially find a suitable character for every social interaction). If the individual in question is unfamiliar with the material, they could mistaken a good performance for the real thing.
That's using Acting at the -2 default off a good Performance skill. If it's used socially, it's Acting; Performance is entertaining from the stage.

Of course, a lot of courtesans and the like started out on stage, or took up secondary careers on stage; the cross-defaults between those two skills could see a lot of use.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't consider a default from Performance to Sex Appeal too crazy. Performative projection of strong emotion...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #50
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, a fair number of guys do THAT. But I'll grant that "was really, really good" could be taken as Erotic Art. Maybe not "clear cut" but "plausible" I'll give you.
EA could also potentially be used to make your partner spend FP by coaxing them into performing acts which leave them exhausted and aching after the fun is over.

If you count penalties to Will due to Euphoria in the afterglow of sex, plus penalties to avoid falling asleep due to natural sleepiness and lost FP, then good sex makes it easier for someone to fall asleep - assuming they're exhausted, relaxed, and lying in bed.