Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

View Poll Results: Do you collect dice for your GURPS games?
Yes! I love dice of all kinds, especially pretty ones. 153 55.64%
I'll buy a new set for a new campaign. 29 10.55%
I've got 3d6. Why would I need more? 65 23.64%
I scavenge dice from other games. 21 7.64%
Dice? I borrow the ones I need. 7 2.55%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
Paul

Default Do GURPS players collect dice?

Dice collectors are a well-known phenomenon in this industy, but you don't hear much about them in GURPS.

Do GURPS players just not collect dice?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
sir-talen

Default Re: Do GURPS players collect dice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Dice collectors are a well-known phenomenon in this industy, but you don't hear much about them in GURPS.

Do GURPS players just not collect dice?
There isn't much reason to for me. I mean, a six sider is a six sider, and commonly availible in non-rpg gaming products, so why bother to get a set specifically for gaming? A set of polyhedrals is slightly different, coming in a variety of geometric shapes, making them something more of a novelty.

But then again, if SJGames wants to put out a set of obsidian black 3d6 with a little pyramid logo replacing the 1 dot, I'm not going to pass it by next time I'm in my FLGS
Old 04-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Well, I collect them, and I do so by sets of 3d6 ;)

Usually I get a set of 3d6 with a distinctive coloring for each character I make...
Old 04-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir-talen
But then again, if SJGames wants to put out a set of obsidian black 3d6 with a little pyramid logo replacing the 1 dot, I'm not going to pass it by next time I'm in my FLGS
yes those would be nice 8)

I collect dice, BUT thats becuse ive been played DnD sense Elves where elves and nothing else , and still play dnd 3.X for my fantcy games (GURPS i use for Modern and Sci-Fi)
Old 04-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
Wundt

None of the options in your survey are appropriate to me. I sit somewhere between "I'll buy a new set for a new campaign" and "I've got 3d6. Why would I need more?".

I have a sizable collection already and so rarely buy new ones, but if something catches my eye or I need a special dice for some game, then I will buy them. I certainly didn't buy new dice for GURPS. On the other hand, Full Thrust uses fists of D6s, even though I had plenty of D6s in my collection, I still went out and bought a box of matching ones (blue with white pips to match the space theme of the game!).

Also, my guess is that the vast majority of GURPS players play other games. Your question is incomplete unless you also ask what other games they play.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:15 AM   #6
Stephane_Theriault

Kromm has a lot of dice sets. Since we go directly from work to his house to play, we prefer borrowing them from him over carrying them at work.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
thastygliax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundt
None of the options in your survey are appropriate to me. I sit somewhere between "I'll buy a new set for a new campaign" and "I've got 3d6. Why would I need more?". [snip] Also, my guess is that the vast majority of GURPS players play other games. Your question is incomplete unless you also ask what other games they play.
I'm in the same situation, but went with "I'll buy a new set" because I will do so on occasion--though I'm more likely to do so with a d20 game than GURPS. Buying full sets of polyhedrals, esp. those with 4d6 for char-gen, mean that I already have LOTS of d6's. I've only bought d6's by themselves a couple of times.

[Edit: And yes, I will scavenge dice, too. I own several Cheapass Games, so it's a necessity. ;-) ]

Many of my gaming buddies are full-fledged "new dice" junkies (mostly women, for whatever reasons). I once bought d6's marked in kanji for one of those friends who is also a Japanophile. She was playing BESM (2d6) when I gave them to her, but has played GURPS in the past, so I bought her 3d6. (She also plays d20, but the store only had kanji d6's.)
Old 04-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Wonder Lemming

I had a box of 36 D6 in urban camo (black/grey speckled with yellow pips) that I lost, I bought a set of semi opaque black dice with red pips to replace them and about a week later I found the Urban camo dice again.

Combined with 20 red and 10 black D6 from a GW pack that I let players use, various polyhedrals I accumulated and a multitude of D6 from various games I now have plenty of dice!
Old 04-28-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
Wundt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thastygliax
Many of my gaming buddies are full-fledged "new dice" junkies (mostly women, for whatever reasons).
Now you mention it... the only people I know who like to use the dice made from stones are all woman.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Michaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir-talen
There isn't much reason to for me. I mean, a six sider is a six sider, . . .
NO! My pretties are special, yes they are. Special, and pretty, and all mine . . . ^.^
Closed Thread

Tags
dice