Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
Malenfant

Default JTAS Previews?

Once upon a time (before the new login system) it was possible to preview the first few hundred words of an article if you clicked on an article link and weren't a JTAS user. Now that seems to be impossible.

This seems rather counter-productive to me, since without a preview capability, the temptation to buy a subscription based on articles that readers may find interesting is severely reduced. Even if it's just the first 100 words that's surely better than no preview at all.

Am I just missing the link, or has this capability been removed?
Malenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
rasimus

Default Re: JTAS Previews?

Just to double check, does the current JTAS preview issue work for you?
rasimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Malenfant

Ah, yes that works - wasn't aware of that. But is there a way to preview older articles?

EDIT: Hrm, there is - if you're smart you can figure it out from the URL - I won't be explicit about it here in case it's not official (it only shows the preview, like the current issue articles, so there's no security flaw - I can't imagine why it should be kept secret, but I've PM'd Loren to check), but it seems that whenever anyone externally links to an article on JTAS, it doesn't show the sample link for that article to non-subscribers - it just goes straight to a page like this:
https://secure.sjgames.com/login/?ur...icle.cgi%3F109

Last edited by Malenfant; 11-22-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Malenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
selenite

It's a pity JTAS doesn't make whole articles available for certain subjects the way web-Pyramid would. It's nice to have some extra support for a book you just bought.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jtas, previews