Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Icelander

Default Zip-lining, bungee jumping, trolleys and harnesses

What skills do you use to set-up, secure and use a zip-line or other technological method of crossing a vertical distance without touching the ground?

What about bungee jumping? Setting up as well as using.

Does Knot-Tying at TL7-8 include skill with carabiners, cables, sheaves, trolleys and harnesses? That is, can you use Knot-Tying to set up zip-lines or bungee cords?

Or is that only Climbing? Is all of the preparation IQ-based Climbing?

Which skill covers using a zip-line or similar technological method safely, Climbing or Acrobatics? And what do you use to go faster than others can?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: Zip-lining, bungee jumping, trolleys and harnesses

Seems like these would just be Knot-Tying. I know when rock climbing, the knot you use to tie in is pretty darn simple. Can't imagine other stuff being too crazy. After all, it's just plugging numbers into a formula and getting an answer any monkey can get.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

I'd argue for IQ based Climbing. Surely the skill of Climbing includes some knowledge of equipment used with the skill.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
I'd argue for IQ based Climbing. Surely the skill of Climbing includes some knowledge of equipment used with the skill.
It does, certainly.

But I'm not certain that zip-lining or bungee jumping (or other adventurous sports) falls under the Climbing skill and thus, whether the equipment used with them is Climbing equipment.

Zip-lining might be Acrobatics just as well as Climbing and bungee jumping might be either Acrobatics or Jumping.

Obviously, Climbing grants a default for securing a zip-line, as this is very similar to securing a climber. But do you use full IQ-based Climbing, i.e. rule that Climbing includes zip-lining, or a default at a penalty?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
trooper6

I think Zip Lining and Bungee Jumping are different.

I'd make Bungee Jumping or most of those adventurous sports their own skills: Sports (or Hobby): Bungee Jumping.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
GodBeastX

Serious ziplining should be Climbing skill IMO.

I think you can probably create a skill for specific use, but I don't know that securing these coords is an amazing skill, because if it was something so easy to fail, we'd have a ALOT of dead jumpers.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
Refplace

I would agre you ould use a sports skill but would allow Climbing to work with all of these, probably a Familiarity penalty till your used to them but no other skill penalty. I could see Acrobatics working for using a zip line and Bungee jumping using Jumping or Acrobatics.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #8
trooper6

I didn't get the sense the Bungee jumping required much skill considering that it is often set up for people who have never done it before. They are given some instructions right there at the moment and then off they go. It seems like the actual skill is in all the set up of the jump. It doesn't seem related to climbing at all.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
Daigoro

I'd say Professional Skill (Rigging). Zip Lines would be a technique of that, as there's more to it than just tying up two ends of cable. You'd have to calculate sag and slack, and how much extra sag there is from attaching a heavy person to the line so they don't get stuck midway, or so they don't fly along at too great a speed. And this gets trickier with a longer line too.

(Guess who went to an outdoor adventure ziplining course and got stuck midway along their longest line at 800m.)
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I'd say Professional Skill (Rigging). Zip Lines would be a technique of that, as there's more to it than just tying up two ends of cable. You'd have to calculate sag and slack, and how much extra sag there is from attaching a heavy person to the line so they don't get stuck midway, or so they don't fly along at too great a speed. And this gets trickier with a longer line too.

(Guess who went to an outdoor adventure ziplining course and got stuck midway along their longest line at 800m.)
How does this skill interact with Knot-Tying, which starts to look awfully limited if it only includes, well, tying knots in old-fashioned rope?

Tags
climbing, knot-tying