Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
SowelBlack

Default Re: Useful mapmaking software using hexes?

Well, I've got my brand new "Dungeonographer" (www.dungeonographer.com) just now moved to an open beta. (I saw this thread last week and wanted to post when it was ready.)

I'm not trying to shill here... I've got a genuine issue that I think this group will know the most about and the software (even the free version) will be a better match for the needs of people here.

Based on feedback to a survey I did before starting the project, I had long planned a hex overlay for the program. (It is square-based... mostly because that makes it easy to line up rooms/corridors.) The hex grid isn't in the version currently posted, but it is mostly written and should be in the next update in the next few days.

But I'm stuck on one issue: How should the hexes line up with the square grid? (BTW, the square grid can be turned off, but I want things to line up so that walls and corners will line up on hex edges or centers.) Can someone point me to a picture of this or give a detailed description. Unfortunately it seems I can't post a picture of what I've got here, but allow me to describe it:
The hexes are stacked so the columns all line up. (There is a setting to change that, but this is the view I'm describing.) Each hex's height matches the height of the square. So the first column's hexes all match the square grid squares in the vertical sense. The second column is staggered so each hex is split in half over the square grid. And so on. But horizontally, the hex widths at the widest point in the middle are a little less than the square grid (by about 1/8th of a square) so for every 5 squares you get 6 hexes... So should I just widen the hexes a little even though the hexes will not be true? Or is there something else I should do?
SowelBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Fnugus

I would suggest fitting them together something like this: http://www.kilenna.dk/hexgrid.php?size=6

It's something I experimented with a while back. It fits the square grid very nicely together with the hex grid.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnugus View Post
I would suggest fitting them together something like this: http://www.kilenna.dk/hexgrid.php?size=6

It's something I experimented with a while back. It fits the square grid very nicely together with the hex grid.
Interesting! Never seen anything quite like that.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
SowelBlack

Quote:

Thanks, after I posted I did some experimenting with my last idea in the post and I came up with exactly your example. The hexes look a tad squished, but I think that's the most closely solves all issues. Thanks! I should have a new version of the program with the hexes options posted in a couple of days. (I've got a few other things, including one side effect of this change to work out.)

Thanks again!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Well, Inkscape may require some initial investment of time to learn it. But once you have learned it, it will be far quicker to use for your purposes than a bitmap-based program like Photoshop.

The reason for this is that you can far more easily recycle objects you have created previously. A chair, a bench, a table, a lantern - you can copy them, rotate them, transform them any way you want, and they will still have crisp, clear lines after the transformation - unlike in programs like Photoshop, which aren't really set to handle objects as such.

Actually Photoshop does support smart objects... However, Jürgen you're approaching this the wrong way, Fnugus is comfortable using photoshop if you want to promote the strengths of Vector based, then you should be pointing of Adobe Illustrator the part of the Creative Suite designed for such, but familiar with for someone comfortable with Photoshop, and quite capible of supporting SVG
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:01 AM   #16
Fnugus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
Interesting! Never seen anything quite like that.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SowelBlack View Post
Thanks, after I posted I did some experimenting with my last idea in the post and I came up with exactly your example. The hexes look a tad squished, but I think that's the most closely solves all issues. Thanks! I should have a new version of the program with the hexes options posted in a couple of days. (I've got a few other things, including one side effect of this change to work out.)

Thanks again!
You're welcome. I look forward to test your product :D
Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
SowelBlack

Quote:
You're welcome. I look forward to test your product :D
I posted an updated version that allows for a hex grid instead of the default square grid.

Go to www.dungeonographer.com and look for the "free version" link near the top. The free version runs in the web browser using Java... you may need to install Java if you don't have it or it is fairly old. A quick web search should point you to it.

To switch to the hex overlay, create a map and then go to the "show/hide" menu and look for the "Grid overlay type" menu item. Again, positioning of some things (like walls that snap to even spots/vertices) are still based on a square grid, but with this updated you can switch that to a hex grid. (And the hexes can have either orientation--that can line up in columns or rows.)

Let me know if it meets the needs of GURPS players/those who prefer hexes. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
Fnugus

It is absolutely awesome! And a nice selection of graphics/icons too.. I'll need a few hours to get a familiar feel of the features, but already it seems great.

Tags
map, maps, maptools