Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-31-2018, 03:28 AM   #1
bluekitsune13

Default Have you ever made 3d terrain to play on?

My original introduction to The Fantasy Trip was actually through Heroscape. Anyone remember that game? The best part of it was the terrain. It came with plastic hexagon terrain that you could connect and stack to make your battlefields. Very cool. I was on the fan Heroscape forums, and there was this guy who posted his flocked terrain. Originally he bought the game for the terrain to use with TFT, but then started playing the actual game. His site is here at meleewizards.com.

Anyway, I sold most of my Heroscape stuff long ago. I'm not sure I want to buy back any of it, as it would be expensive. Instead I was thinking of trying to make my own. What I was thinking of buying up some MDF hexes pretty cheap. Then I could glue them to a board and texture it. The only problem with that is I couldn't change the layout too much. Sure I can make terrain that could lay on top, but it would be weird to put a river in the middle or something.

Has anyone else tried making some 3d terrain for the game?
bluekitsune13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:50 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Have you ever made 3d terrain to play on?

I just use my Heroscape stuff. I think there was a Kickstarter for something compatible but can remember the name.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:56 AM   #3
bluekitsune13

Hyground is what you're probably thinking of. I think they are coming back with a new Kickstarter, since the last one didn't succeed.
bluekitsune13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:59 AM   #4
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13 View Post
Hyground is what you're probably thinking of. I think they are coming back with a new Kickstarter, since the last one didn't succeed.
Yes that was the thing. It looked very nice.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:02 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

I've been 3d printing game terrain for a little while now; you'll find a few designs here, for example. There's a wealth of printable terrain out there (look, for example, for "OpenForge"), but it's mostly based on square grids, so I have to do my own floor designs. Since I work primarily with GURPS, my designs use 1-inch hexes, but that's trivial to scale to any desired size.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
larsdangly

the meleewizard web site playing surfaces were really cool; I haven't seen those for a while but remember them well. Notice that he used heroscape terrain as a base, meaning a 1.75" hex size. I suspect that all the sturm und drang about 1.5" hexes is really about the desire to shift the physical components of the game to a scale where there is at least the possibility of this kind of elaborate table top play surfaces. If so, I strongly advocate it; I enjoy my flat cardboard chits but the game will grow faster and in more exciting ways if it can tap into the miniatures skirmish game materials and community. TFT is such a natural for that, as it is both a very fast playing, fun skirmish combat engine and a roleplaying game. If it were my business to revive it, I would definitely try to pivot into a place in the market where the game play is like it always was (plus or minus some spell or talent you think would be cool), but the materials of the game evolve into something more ambitious.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
The Wyzard

Heroscape terrain was fantastic, and isn't that expensive to buy large lots of on EBay, if you'd like to have a table full of it.

Back when I was a teenager and wanted to get serious about WH40k, I tried making some terrain out of papier mache. It came out pretty bad. Maybe I would have gotten better with practice.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
JLV

Yeah, I was going to recommend meleewizards too -- his stuff was amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
Back when I was a teenager and wanted to get serious about WH40k, I tried making some terrain out of papier mache. It came out pretty bad. Maybe I would have gotten better with practice.
I used layers of corrugated cardboard built up one layer at a time in the shape I wanted. You can build a heck of a sailing ship (complete with gunports and stuff) for example, by doing it that way, but it requires some patience and more glue than most such projects. On the other hand, it lasts forever! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
The Wyzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I used layers of corrugated cardboard built up one layer at a time in the shape I wanted. You can build a heck of a sailing ship (complete with gunports and stuff) for example, by doing it that way, but it requires some patience and more glue than most such projects. On the other hand, it lasts forever! ;-)
Oh, nice!

It occurs to me that an even marginally crafty person could probably figure out how to make a mold of the heroscape hexes, and cast such a contour to use as the deck surface of such a ship.

That person is not me, though.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
JLV

If there had been such a thing as heroscape (remember, I was doing this back in the '70's), I'd have been all over that! Heck, if I'd had the room and time, I would have simply pasted a copy of a melee map over the deck and cabin roof, just like the one in that Spacegamer article, but by 1978 I was an infantryman in the Big Red One in Kansas and living out of a footlocker in the barracks. I don't think my Platoon Sergeant would have appreciated the artistry involved! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote