Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-01-2022, 01:47 AM   #1
bro

Default Look For Trouble w/ Undead + Magic Lamp

Hello, thanks to all community for this forum and all existing questions and answers :)

Here is a situation that I need help with.
We are playing the game for the third time, and six players are in the play.

I (LVL 5 and 0 bonuses) kick open the door, and it's not a monster. While I was looking at my hand, my friend went to the toilet. I say we will wait for him because I want to look for trouble.

He comes back, and this happens:

I said we wait for him because I would play a monster. Then I drop the "Wight Brothers" (LVL 16/Undead -> 2lvls + 4 Treasures) and say "After this monster, I'm gonna play this:" and put the Magic Lamp on the table that says: "Only on your turn/Single monster vanish/If it was the only monster you may take treasure but don't gain level."

So in my head, this was a logical move because I played the monster stronger than me, and there was no point in asking "Can I fight this monster" because I obviously can't fight him.

That friend starts arguing about how this is not valid play, because they had no time to play with their cars and that this is a timing question of who plays faster. He uses a Mate, for example, because Lamp makes a single monster vanish. I say that timing is the story of all fights because it matters who drops the curse/enragement or any UOO card first. And in this specific case, they could play other Undead on my monster. And I suppose that this is ok until I play them separately.

I need some explanation about this situation :)
2) Is there any exact time to wait after playing the monster we cannot fight?
2) Is this a correct move?
bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Look For Trouble w/ Undead + Magic Lamp

Since the July 2018 Update, removing the only monster ends the combat immediately, so they would not be able to play any cards. You would not be able to play both cards at the same time though, so technically they might have had a fraction of a second to play other cards before you played the lamp. In a friendly game, you should let the others read the card and react before you play the second card -- this is not a rule, though
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:00 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
In a friendly game, you should let the others read the card and react before you play the second card -- this is not a rule, though
Don't the rules actually state you must allow other players a reasonable amount of time to react.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:41 AM   #4
bro

Yeah, I see the point. Thanks.

Quote:
If you kill a monster (or monsters!), discard the monster(s) and any other
cards played, and claim your rewards. But note: someone may play a hostile
card on you, or use a special power, just as you think you have won. When you
kill a monster, you must wait a reasonable time, defined as about 2.6 seconds,
for anyone else to speak up.
After that, you have really killed the monster, and
you really get the level(s) and Treasures, though they can still whine and argue
@Mr_Draco, this? It is stated here, but for the case after killing the monster. And we are also waiting a moment or two after asking if anyone has something against killing until everyone gives their consent to win the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
In a friendly game, you should let the others read the card and react before you play the second card -- this is not a rule, though
In a friendly game, yes, but not that night :D We will talk about this before the next play to see what the other friends think about this now.
bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:21 AM   #5
Brf

Yes, but that rule was changed in July 2018.

Q. Some cards say they automatically kill a certain type of Monster (like the Potion of Halitosis and the Floating Nose, or the Churninator and Level 1 monsters). Can anyone interfere with this? Can anyone play a Wandering Monster?
A. As of July 2018, removing the final monster from a combat ends the combat immediately. There is a new FAQ specifically about the Churninator in the Munchkin Cthulhu section.

In other words, once you play the Lamp, and the last monster is removed, the combat is over. Nobody can play any other cards.

The real question here is how quickly you can play the lamp after playing the monster. I am not aware of any rule that states you must wait between cards. Personally, I wait about a second -- long enough to let go of the first card, sit up straight, and pull the second card. My opponents have time to say, "Hey wait!", then I wait for their objections before playing the second card.

Last edited by Brf; 08-02-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote