Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: TFT Powers - Mystic Monk portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Wouldn't wizards just take weapon mastery stick?
Shrewd blow... wand poke to the eye!
Old 01-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #22
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
True, but that is part of the balancing factor for these Powers. Plus IQ is critical for any UC-based character now.
Well, the XP cost to acquire UC II might be something of a barrier for wizards, but I do want Powers to appeal across traditional character lines. And don't forget that there should be a story-based prerequisite as well... finding and convincing a Master to teach you.
Oh yeah, I had momentarily forgotten the Unarmed Combat talent requirements.

I didn't necessarily mean the previous post as a negative comment, just mentioning ideas.

It seems like with the Unarmed Combat requirements, a wizard could learn this tier, but would have to be dedicated to getting those abilities, but that seems interesting and not out of whack at first glance. Unique synergistic abilities like this should probably be harder to get than conventional things.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #23
Skarg

Quote:
Why would a wizard be unarmed?
Most are unarmored to avoid casting penalties. And some are unarmed either because they're old-school style, don't have a weapon-shaped "staff", and/or are a wizard version of this new type of "mystic monk", who would have Unarmed Combat talent and these abilities, and if they have a staff it might be a stylish wand or something. And/or they either don't want to show it, don't have it, don't have it ready, etc.

Quote:
Wouldn't wizards just take weapon mastery stick?
Not if "weapon mastery stick" doesn't exist. Not to mention all the requirements of learning "weapon mastery quarterstaff", and that it doesn't satisfy the prereqs for this portfolio.

Of course, there could be another portfolio that does require quarterstaff and/or expert/master quarterstaff, with other powers...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #24
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Of course, there could be another portfolio that does require quarterstaff and/or expert/master quarterstaff, with other powers...
Now you're thinking... 'Staff of the Monkey King' portfolio!
Old 02-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #25
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
The fact that the first 4 tiers are synergistic makes it seem to me that each successive tier should be a lot more expensive than the previous one because it's going to add an increment to each tier below it in addition to adding an extra power that can also be incremented. So I'd consider the teirs this way:

1: -1 DX to melee attackers
2: -2 DX to melee attackers, +2 damage, +2 armor
3: -3 DX to melee attackers, +3 damage, +3 armor, +6 armor against fire
4: -4 DX to melee attackers, +4 damage, +4 armor, +8 armor against fire, -4 to ranged attackers
5: -5 DX to melee attackers, +5 damage, +5 armor, +10 armor against fire, -5 to ranged attackers, (plus non-incrementing stuff)
To be clear, the Powers in the this portfolio do stack with UC talents, but not with each other. Each Power is a separate martial stance and the character can only adopt one stance at a time while engaged in combat.

And reducing the Powers to 3 tiers instead of 5, in addition to granting some flexibility in the order of selection, will make the scaling benefits more reasonable I think.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 02-04-2019 at 01:22 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #26
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
TBH, I hadn't really considered using stances outside of combat. There's no duration limits, only the ST-based per day limits so if a character wanted to use 'Master of Fire' to cross several hexes of fire, for example, I would allow it but they are burning one of their uses per day.
Not a fan of the X per day limitation though I'll admit I'm not sure what you could put in its place to balance thing.

Maybe allow them to take the stance once per day, plus one per total levels?

I think for non-combat use you should have a real world time duration...actually probably for combat use...what constitutes a combat exactly? If you are fighting one group, finish them, and then 2-3 rounds later a second group arrives is that one or two combats?
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #27
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
Not a fan of the X per day limitation though I'll admit I'm not sure what you could put in its place to balance thing.

Maybe allow them to take the stance once per day, plus one per total levels?

I think for non-combat use you should have a real world time duration...actually probably for combat use...what constitutes a combat exactly? If you are fighting one group, finish them, and then 2-3 rounds later a second group arrives is that one or two combats?
The 'use per day' model does exist in TFT already (several spells, potions, etc.) so it's not a completely foreign concept. Plus it is relatively easy to keep track of and very familiar to my players who are mostly converts from that other fantasy RPG.

I also prefer the dependence on ST to reflect that adopting one of these stances requires focus and effort... an extension of one's chi as it were, but without the draining effect of fatigue. And to that point, while it may be valid to use a stance outside of combat, I would not allow the character to maintain the active or passive effects of the Power indefinitely.