Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Wanna race?

What kinds of race revisions or additions (unique or adapted from other settings) have folks made in their TFT game worlds?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Wanna race?

So I'll start us off... the first change I remember making back in the early 80s was to get rid of orcs, although I then just turned around, buffed up hobgoblins and used them to fill essentially the same role in my game world.

A few years later, I created two new races... the Keeshar'um (bonus points to anyone who recognizes the reference) and the Hithskaa'um. The first is a leonine race inspired by the lion-men of Mongo from the old Flash Gordon cartoon and the latter is their mortal enemy, a race of serpent men. Both were desert-dwelling races.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
Sinanju

The change I made had more to do with relationships than with the addition of new races. I established that virtually all the intelligent races in the game world were created by the Ancients (or the Mnoren in TFT) to display particular traits and appearances to best serve their creators. Except humans.

Humans are mutts. Humans are what you get when the other races don't police their bloodlines. Humans are everywhere, and they're dangerous--they shouldn't be underestimated. But they're definitely looked down upon by the other races.

This is why elves all look like stereotypical elves, ditto for all the other races, but humans have a wide variety of hair and eye colors, skin tones, and builds. The definition of "elf" or dwarf" or "halfing" has a very specific appearance baked into it. Humans are...everything else, by definition. In extreme cases, the difference--for instance--between an Elf and a "Half-Elf" may be only that the latter was deemed insufficiently Elf-like by his community, and the difference is virtually undetectable to anyone else.

Many an "elf" or dwarf" wandering in human lands is secretly ashamed of his impure heritage, though most of them would rather die than admit it.
Sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
TippetsTX

Figured I would resurrect this short-lived thread to start posting new and revised races in my TFT Ptolus campaign. Feel free to share your own creations.

Starting off with one of the more uncommon races in the campaign that doesn't currently exist in TFT...

GNOLLS
Hunched and feral, this furred, hyena-headed humanoid stands slightly taller than the average human.

ST 10, DX 10, IQ 7 plus 5 (32 points)

Racial Traits:
Battle Frenzy - For gnolls, entering a berserker rage is easy; roll 2D vs IQ instead of 3. It's almost their preferred state.
Pack Hunters - Gnolls function better in small units than alone. In a pack of 3 or more gnolls, the group will have +1 to their initiative roll, but alone they are slower to react suffering -1 to adjDX when determining the order of their action.
Savage Bite - When engaged in HTH, a gnoll will use their powerful jaws to tear the flesh from their foes (often going for the throat); -2 DX to hit, but doing 2d damage.

Base MA: 12
Size: 1-hex
XP Adjustment: x1.2

Feedback is encouraged.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 03-10-2020 at 08:43 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #5
larsdangly

Is there a precedence for an XP adjustment in Legacy Edition? I wasn't aware that concept got carried over.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:28 AM   #6
hcobb

Minotaur

A half-breed of Human(ITL 77) and and a large Yakish creature(ITL 89)

ST 24, DX 9, IQ 7, and 4 extra points. Max DX of 12 and max IQ of 10. Hide stops one hit and horns can be used like a non-throwable trident attack. A large 1-hex creature.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:45 AM   #7
Shostak

Great thread topic! Because of all of the baggage and stereotypes that comes with them, I don't like using orcs, halflings, dwarves, or elves in my campaigns unless they is explicitly set in Middle Earth. The old saws of dwarves quarreling with elves and everyone hating orcs are so tired; I have to fight rolling my eyes every time they come up (which is all the time) in a D&D game I play in.

One of my current campaigns is set on Cidri, on a remote continent where the aforementioned races don't live. There are reptile men, cat people, and sapient plants (this last one is more or less the hymenopterans of the original ITL and which are sketched out in the New Monsters thread), all largely found south of where the humans live and the action has taken plac. Octopi are abundant, and make seafaring dangerous, so overland journeys are standard.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #8
Terquem

The two most popular alternative fantasy races I have created for my game world's are the Maetaur and Gymnagaopthian

I have not yet adapted them to TFT, but now I will this weekend and see how they come out

Maetaur are halfling/pony "centaurs"
Gymnagaopthian are lizard folk with halfling sized torso arms, head, and a lower body that is a lizard tail
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Is there a precedence for an XP adjustment in Legacy Edition? I wasn't aware that concept got carried over.
No, that is my own rule change. I have restored the idea of 'unbalanced' (or perhaps asymmetrically balanced) races in my game. Feel free to ignore if adapting my races to a normal LE game, although you may need to drop one or more Racial Traits to balance with the default races.

Here's the thread where my concept of XP adjustments was proposed...
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=163651

Last edited by TippetsTX; 03-11-2020 at 08:22 AM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
hcobb

Races are balanced in the game with well known racial disadvantages.

Chased by a dwarf? Drop your gold.

or...

Glaistig
ST 12, DX 10, IQ 10, plus four attribute points. MA 16
Horns and hooves add +2 to "bare handed" damage.

These are not the blood thirsty ghosts of folklore, but living creatures that strongly resemble goats with human faces. They are all wizards, but are limited to spells two or more below their IQ due to their lack of hands. They are unable to use the Staff spell, but can increase their innate Mana up to their IQ level by expending XP.

Last edited by hcobb; 03-11-2020 at 08:11 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote