Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Anomylous

Default Yet Another Specialization System (YASS!) for wizards

I've split up the spell list into 6 schools (seems fitting, we love our 6's here... 6 sided dice, hex maps...), and come up with a system meant to encourage more diverse magic-using builds.

Most of these ideas aren't particularly original to me, I've basically just compiled them and attempted to wrangle the mess into some semblance of game balance. In the process I've (mostly) tried to disturb the core rules as little as possible. Ain't broke yada yada... So pure-vanilla wizards would stay pretty competitive against ones built on this system, I think, and there's no reason you couldn't have both in a campaign.

Anyway, I'd appreciate whatever feedback y'all care to give.

Link to Google Doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

(TL;DR: No wizard-hero divide. Spells cost 2 IQ points apiece to learn, unless you have the base talent for a "school", in which case they're 1 point apiece. A simple "perk" system, a healing spell that's a powered-down version of Regeneration, and new rules on casting spells from a grimoire.)
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
Tywyll

Default Re: Yet Another Specialization System (YASS!) for wizards

Very Cool!

Though I'd probably make Magecraft give you access to INT 8-12 spells, then make another talent for 13-16, and a final one for 17+
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #3
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
Very Cool!

Though I'd probably make Magecraft give you access to INT 8-12 spells, then make another talent for 13-16, and a final one for 17+
Or just take Magecraft three times (Journeyman, Expert, Master)...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Anomylous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
Very Cool!

No reason you couldn't do that... to me though, it seems overly complicated and restrictive for a game system where the basic Sword talent will let you wield everything from a dagger to a 2-handed greatsword. That's why I chose to have my Adept and Mastery talents basically function like magical equivalents of Missile Weapons/Weapon Expertise/Fencing/etc.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
No reason you couldn't do that... to me though, it seems overly complicated and restrictive for a game system where the basic Sword talent will let you wield everything from a dagger to a 2-handed greatsword. …
That is true, but one might maintain balance by de-simplifying the weapon talents, too. (I'm not advocating that, just saying you could.)

I like your system. I especially like the classical Four Elements being worked in, because that's always cool imagery, and you've assigned the functional 'meanings' quite well.

Plus, while I am normally inclined to nitpick and argue about any additions to the basic four, Light and Void are a nice pairing (which maintains the 'sets of opposites' principle of the first four), and makes thematic sense. (And it also fits well with the hex-based system, if one enjoys numerological consistency.)

I might actually use this. Thanks!
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
Anomylous

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
I like your system. I especially like the classical Four Elements being worked in, because that's always cool imagery, and you've assigned the functional 'meanings' quite well.

Plus, while I am normally inclined to nitpick and argue about any additions to the basic four, Light and Void are a nice pairing (which maintains the 'sets of opposites' principle of the first four), and makes thematic sense. (And it also fits well with the hex-based system, if one enjoys numerological consistency.)

I might actually use this. Thanks!
You're very welcome, and thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you like the six-way division... I spent a long time trying out different ideas, looking for a system that felt *right* in terms of balance, logic, and flavor. It was a pretty cool "aha!" moment when I deleted the Chaos category from the previous draft (it was supposed to deal with probability and entropy, but it overlapped a lot with Water at low IQ levels, and it was kind of a fuzzy concept anyway), and suddenly realized I had 3 complementary/opposite pairs.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
FireHorse

Chaos would have been okay too, but then you'd have needed Order (or perhaps Law?) to make a nice pair out of it. Light & Void accomplish the same thematic purpose, and are more picturesque — very Yin & Yang, I'd say — while also handily avoiding any whiff of Warhammerism. ;)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
hcobb

The wizard's guild is aware of near infinite spell specialization systems as different ways of teaching students spellcasting. These usually are based around some common theme such as unarmed combat, dance, swordplay, acrobatics, etc.

The common features of these systems is that the students (must) learn the base talent(s) at base (not doubled) cost, the spells are taught and not learned from books (and these students are unable to use books, chests and labs), the spells taught are from a very limited selection, and the students aren't prepared to become enchanters.

So while there are many different variant kinds of spellcasting, the wizard's guild (and society in general) values the standard wizardry much more.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #9
Anomylous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The wizard's guild is aware of near infinite spell specialization systems as different ways of teaching students spellcasting. These usually are based around some common theme such as unarmed combat, dance, swordplay, acrobatics, etc.
Funny you should mention it, a while back I was working on a list of Bard spells using basically this approach (though they work on different rules than standard Wizard spells). That's a different post though.

If you like having magic-using fighters, they're much more feasible when spells cost 2 IQ apiece rather than 3. For example, a 32-point character build I came up with while testing:

Elf fighter:
ST 11
DX 11 (10)
IQ 10
MA 14 (Elf + Running)

Spear, also a staff (2 dice damage - 1 stabby, 1 occult)
Cloth armor (-1)

7 Pwpns (2)
8 Running (2)
8 Staff (S) (2)
10 Speed Movement (T) (2)
(and 2 IQ points left over)

The fun part being, this guy has a 14-hex charge attack while Speed Movement is powered up, and it does 3 dice damage! Is that too broken? You decide...

I specifically left the "iron and magic" rules in effect, to keep this kind of thing from getting too out of hand. That spearhead is probably made out of bronze (so maybe it's actually 3d - 1).
Old 05-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
Funny you should mention it, a while back I was working on a list of Bard spells using basically this approach (though they work on different rules than standard Wizard spells). That's a different post though.

If you like having magic-using fighters, they're much more feasible when spells cost 2 IQ apiece rather than 3. For example, a 32-point character build I came up with while testing:

Elf fighter:
ST 11
DX 11 (10)
IQ 10
MA 14 (Elf + Running)

Spear, also a staff (2 dice damage - 1 stabby, 1 occult)
Cloth armor (-1)

7 Pwpns (2)
8 Running (2)
8 Staff (S) (2)
10 Speed Movement (T) (2)
(and 2 IQ points left over)

The fun part being, this guy has a 14-hex charge attack while Speed Movement is powered up, and it does 3 dice damage! Is that too broken? You decide...

I specifically left the "iron and magic" rules in effect, to keep this kind of thing from getting too out of hand. That spearhead is probably made out of bronze (so maybe it's actually 3d - 1).
It depends. Is this an arena character or a character in an RPG campaign? For Melee/Wiozard Arena battle, maybe. For a role playing game, no.