Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #21
larsdangly

Default Re: Super-elves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Sorcery is the only sensible source of strength. Final result is ST 14, DX 14, IQ 20, for 48 total attribute points.
I agree that the only plausible, RAW character with this many stat points has to start with very high IQ and then somehow, by hook or by crook, accrue enough Greater Wishes to raise other stats to 14. This is almost a reasonable explanation for Tarve and Tollenkar in the new edition - but not quite; they both have DX 16, and there aren't many scenarios you can think of that would permit IQ 19-20, DX 16 and some permitted ST score without it requiring millions of XP to gain those last couple of points. This endlessly and unreasonably bugs me, but don't worry; I'll live.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
First off, I've never been a fan of the 'frail' elf archetype... I prefer my elves more Tolkien-esq or, even better, Dragaeran (for those familiar w/ Steven Brust's novels). To that end, I'm considering replacing the default Elf race with the following version:

ST 9, DX 9, IQ 9 with 9 points to distribute (36-point starting stat total). Long-lived, beautiful, graceful, and tall (6 to 7 ft). Most other existing racial elements would still apply, though I might add a +1 to DX with bows. I think the most controversial change I am proposing, however, is that they will have equal access to both talents and spells. In other words, all Elf characters are simultaneously heroes and wizards and would not 'pay' the higher cost normally associated with crossing over those lines. This is due, in part, to the fact they will be around 100 when they start play but also to reflect their innate connection to magic.

Now, to balance out this advantage, XP costs for stat progression will be double what it is for everyone else (like the old rule for 'powerful races'). That feels like an appropriate trade-off to me but forum member feedback is certainly welcome and appreciated.
I dig it! Very close to the idea I had for elves.

I actually like the races having different bonus/benefits. I would like to come up with one for humans but I'm a bit stumped. I am considering that they might advance attributes as if they were one 'band' lower for xp purposes (again using the old xp scale rather than the new one).
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #23
hcobb

Humans get a bonus talent of Humanish that every other race has to spend an IQ point on to be effective. They also don't suffer from the psychological hangups of the other races.