Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #21
Roze-sama

Default Re: Munchkin Gender

i just wanna know if your playing with a hermaphrodite what gender does he/she count as both? nether?
Roze-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:32 AM   #22
henkan99

If you for example play as a male. Do you get to use class and race cards with females on them or can you only use those with a male on them?
henkan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #23
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roze-sama View Post
i just wanna know if your playing with a hermaphrodite what gender does he/she count as both? nether?
Any person who doesn't fit the traditional binary gender model chooses the gender (male or female) of their munchkin at the beginning of the game, and cannot change it unless affected by a gender-affecting card.

[Edited to add]Also, the term "hermaphrodite" is rarely applied to people. It isn't possible (AFAIK) for humans to have both male and female equipment that is functional. (Some people are born with both testicles and ovaries, but one or both of these is non-functional.) The more correct term is "intersexed" if you're talking about someone with ambiguous sex characteristics. For gender, "transgender" is an umbrella term which can be used both for people whose gender doesn't match their sex, or for people who don't fit the gender binary.

Last edited by Brandy; 07-15-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Brandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #24
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkan99 View Post
If you for example play as a male. Do you get to use class and race cards with females on them or can you only use those with a male on them?
You can use any class or race cards that you draw. The gender of the pictures on the class and race cards have no rules effect.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:09 AM   #25
fordfjord

Interesting subject here, regarding the 4-gender system. I could see how this would be additional fun in a more adult group, but as I am usually partaking in games involving my children, this would be a bit much. I could see - potentially - why SJ Games hasn't released an expansion to cover this topic. That said, the "It's OUR game, we play it THIS way..." mentality makes a lot of sense, as the game content should be dictated by the relative maturities of the participants. The basic rules are even written in such a way to allow this, if you think about it.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that cards, should they become available during the normal course of play, are swapped to try to match the gender of the player. I allow this in my kids gaming groups, but frown on it in more adult sessions. Because, you know, this IS Munchkin - I play the rules to best satisfy my enjoyment of the game.
fordfjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #26
Ghostsaint21

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnyeye View Post
I'm a newbie Munchkin player so please bare with me.....I didn't see anything in the rules to specify what gender you are. In the game, are you your actual gender or the gender of the picture on your race card?
I honestly would love a Gender Bend Card. There’s already class and species swap cards, why not add that as well?
Ghostsaint21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #27
Nobunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostsaint21 View Post
I honestly would love a Gender Bend Card. There’s already class and species swap cards, why not add that as well?
There are multitudes of Curse! Sex Change cards that change your in-game sex with a temporary -5 to your combat strength because you are distracted by your new parts.
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #28
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

We had a bit of unfortunate commentary and some house rule stuff in this thread that didn't belong here. I have deleted several posts as a result.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote