Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
PK

Default Pyramid #3/109: Thaumatology V

What's in this vial?
Dare you take one step before
Learning the answer?
— Geziny, Evil Warlock/Alchemist
Thaumatology, the study of magic, is something that Pyramid has tackled more than any other subject, and yet there are still infinite things about it to cover. That's what makes magic so interesting; there are literally no limits to what it can bring to your campaign. So it's no surprise that Pyramid #3/109: Thaumatology V contains a wide variety of mystical notions:
  • Every alchemist dreams of making a grand creation, a Magnum Opus. James Amaral adds some excitement to the process with a new system for designing and combining reagents based on four key factors. Best of all, the GM can plot these all out ahead of time in great detail or assign values on the fly; either way works great!

• When evil wizards abuse their power, who can you depend on to save the countryside? Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch suggests calling The Mage Hunter. This new 250-point delver template is a versatile warrior with an edge against anything magical, presented with stats for both the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.

• Fighting monsters is great, but wouldn't it be practical to use them? Harness their power? Maybe even . . . upgrade them? In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver presents The Teramancers -- a society (with a unique magical style) devoted to unlocking the genetic secrets of the world's nastiest creatures for the betterment of humanity.

• Fiction is full of dark tomes from the bowels of Hell, but J. Edward Tremlett knows that a few Good equivalents exist as well. The Glorious Book of Valadir is filled with inspiring spells of salvation, strong enough to one day make this a perfect world . . . which, ironically, is exactly the problem, and the danger, in using it.

• Antoni Ten Monros and C. R. Rice's GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic introduced a completely new system of magic to GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. Now you can delve deep into the Designer's Notes to learn what got cut, what advice to bear in mind, and why incantation magic is a perfect fit for bards as well.

• Looking for a quick way to power up the party, temporarily or permanently? Need to loan the PCs some magical aptitude? Alice Turow has the solution in The All-Scroll, a priceless artifact which grants access to nearly any mystical ability you can think of, but (usually) only briefly and never the same power twice.

• And the mists part to reveal our Random Thought Table, which asks whether infinite power is as much of a challenge as it is a boon.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-2709
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-2709_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
J. Edward Tremlett

Default Re: Pyramid #3/109: Thaumatology V

"The Glorious Book of Valadir is filled with inspiring spells of salvation, strong enough to one day make this a perfect world . . . which, ironically, is exactly the problem, and the danger, in using it."

(Maniacal laughter)
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Edward Tremlett View Post
"The Glorious Book of Valadir is filled with inspiring spells of salvation, strong enough to one day make this a perfect world . . . which, ironically, is exactly the problem, and the danger, in using it."

(Maniacal laughter)
If something makes a world "perfect", and yet that world being "perfect" is a legitimate problem, then it did not, as a matter of factual tautology, make that world "perfect".
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Jinumon

Author of Magnum Opus here. Just wanted to say a big "thank you" to Steve Marsh for all the cooperation and back and forth during the editing process. Hope y'all like it :)
Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Perfect for me would be a nightmarish dystopia to you, and vice versa.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
PK

What Flyndaran said. The Book can bring forth a perfect world . . . which might be great if we were all perfect people, no?

Read the article for details. :)

Old 11-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
If something makes a world "perfect", and yet that world being "perfect" is a legitimate problem, then it did not, as a matter of factual tautology, make that world "perfect".
(Maniacal contradiction)
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:15 AM   #8
Hyrneson

Is "Magnum Opus" for general GURPS use or Dungeon Fantasy GURPS?
Some things convert from DF easily, some not so much.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:13 AM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrneson View Post
General GURPS, attached to GURPS Magic alchemy rules - though you could probably use it with a different source for potions with very little added effort.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrneson View Post
It's a general GURPS article, not one specific to Dungeon Fantasy. Since it's about brewing potions, not buying them, the only real conversion needed is if you're using my expanded DF alchemy/alchemist rules from Pyramid #3/82: Magical Creations.

I believe the two systems can be reconciled without much effort, though I'm a bit too swamped at the moment to tackle that myself. If anyone else wants to do so, I'd be happy to offer my critique.

Tags
pyramid, pyramid 3/109, thaumatology