Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Kalzazz

Default Unhorsing a Rider using TG?

I'd love to see you interview Chuck Hawks of Guns and Shooting Online, I wonder if hes up for interviews?

Also am curious about how to properly remove someone from a horse using TG
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Also am curious about how to properly remove someone from a horse using TG
Been wondering about that myself. If anyone's read A Clash of Kings*, I want to know what specific Techniques and modifiers are involved when ]teensy-bitsy spoiler, not even really a spoiler, but ok] Brienne of Tarth unhorses the Knight of Flowers by grabbing him and wrestling him out of his saddle, in order to win the tournament in King/Lord Renly's camp.

And this would of course have actual-play applications now that the Melee of the tourney which Sir Michael is attending is about to begin.

*Book Two of A Song of Ice and Fire, which begins with Game of Thrones.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Been wondering about that myself. If anyone's read A Clash of Kings*, I want to know what specific Techniques and modifiers are involved when ]teensy-bitsy spoiler, not even really a spoiler, but ok] Brienne of Tarth unhorses the Knight of Flowers by grabbing him and wrestling him out of his saddle, in order to win the tournament in King/Lord Renly's camp.

And this would of course have actual-play applications now that the Melee of the tourney which Sir Michael is attending is about to begin.

*Book Two of A Song of Ice and Fire, which begins with Game of Thrones.
This is alluded to in the book (mine) where the cowboy riding a bucking bronco is grappling the horse with his legs. I'd treat it as the rider having CP based on Trained ST, but using Riding skill as a basis. For staying mounted ONLY, I'd say use the fast progression.

Trained ST is thus boosted for using both legs, plus training bonus, and then any Control Resistance for special saddles.

I'd resolve removal as a Force Posture Change, forcing the foe to roll vs Riding, DX, or Trained ST (Riding).
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
This is alluded to in the book (mine) where the cowboy riding a bucking bronco is grappling the horse with his legs. I'd treat it as the rider having CP based on Trained ST, but using Riding skill as a basis. For staying mounted ONLY, I'd say use the fast progression.

Trained ST is thus boosted for using both legs, plus training bonus, and then any Control Resistance for special saddles.

I'd resolve removal as a Force Posture Change, forcing the foe to roll vs Riding, DX, or Trained ST (Riding).
CP based on Trained ST; does that mean 'CP equal to one-second of grapple using that Trained ST' or does that mean 'CP equal to the full Trained ST' score?

The former would seem more reasonable, as the alternative would imply that the ST 12 cowboy in the Bucking Bronco example ought to have a much higher CP and also that it was almost impossible to wrestle someone off a horse quickly.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
CP based on Trained ST; does that mean 'CP equal to one-second of grapple using that Trained ST' or does that mean 'CP equal to the full Trained ST' score?

The former would seem more reasonable, as the alternative would imply that the ST 12 cowboy in the Bucking Bronco example ought to have a much higher CP and also that it was almost impossible to wrestle someone off a horse quickly.
There you go, then. Do it that way.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:

What mechanical effect are those CP having? From their presence, I'd guess you're thinking making grapple attacks to loosen the rider's seat, but unless I'm missing something the rider's CP on the horse would have no effect on a third party performing a Force Posture Change on the rider.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
What mechanical effect are those CP having? From their presence, I'd guess you're thinking making grapple attacks to loosen the rider's seat, but unless I'm missing something the rider's CP on the horse would have no effect on a third party performing a Force Posture Change on the rider.
They can be spent to reduce the foe's skill in the Quick Contest to execute the FPC. So rolling QC after QC on a foe of roughly equal ability (wherever that roll comes from) will likely force him to spend CP to keep staying on.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
They can be spent to reduce the foe's skill in the Quick Contest to execute the FPC. So rolling QC after QC on a foe of roughly equal ability (wherever that roll comes from) will likely force him to spend CP to keep staying on.
Ah, okay.

...It's not a general rule that you can spend CP on one target to influence rolls involving someone completely different, is it?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Ah, okay.

...It's not a general rule that you can spend CP on one target to influence rolls involving someone completely different, is it?
It's not really completely different, though. The rules is "spend CP from an adjacent region." I'd say that the attacker and defender are both going against the saddle. The grapple of the horse by the rider and the attempt to remove the rider both qualify, if you squint at 'em.

Still, no, it's not the general rule. It's a GM judgement call - players may spend CP from anywhere that might be appropriate, with GM permission.