Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #31
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: value of Wedding vows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I presume that you mean "to resist seduction"? Seduction can be accomplished by means other than Sex Appeal rolls, including Fast-Talk, Savoir-Faire, or Streetwise; conversely, Sex Appeal can be used to get out of a traffic ticket or get a good price on purchases.
Yes, that's what I meant, but now that I think about it some more, I think a reasonable twist could be that the Perk either gives the character a +2 bonus to all rolls to resist Sex Appeal seduction only, or a +1 bonus to resist all kinds of seduction, in either case conditional upon being in a commited sexual relationship with another person, and maintaining good relations with that person (i.e. if your wife is mad at you, the bonus ceases working until you make friends with her again).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #32
daniel_gudman

If being married is important enough to the character that it's more than a Quirk/Perk thing...

Then the spouse should probably be a social Advantage/Disadvantage; a Contact, a Patron, an Ally, a Dependent, or whatever.

Or a Delusion. That could be interesting, too.

Anyways, if being married is an important part of the character concept, then that's a really solid way to explain why one NPC exists, so why not do that?

I guess what I'm saying is, if I was the GM and a player said "I want my character to have Vow: Married", then I'd say "Stat out the spouse and we'll see where that takes us".
daniel_gudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #33
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
What about the likely part of emotionally needing to be around said mate?
I get a bit down if I can't see my life-mate every couple of days for whatever reason. We live together so the issue has only come up a couple of times in many years.
I have a sense of duty to one of my brothers, but I can go a long time time between visits.
Chummy with a +100% Enhancement "must chum with this specific person"?

Or take one or more of those disads that Lord Carnifex remembers with a Mitigator (life-mate).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #34
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddogtree View Post
Hello, would a characters wedding vows be 5 points? It would seem to me to be. Also, would wedding vows be a Code of Honor, or Vows? All of this assumes the character is happily married, and doesnt suffer (real) -temptation-.
The wedding vows themselves aren't really worth points, in my opinion. A vow of chastity is worth -5 points, but this is not the same as a vow to simply "love, honor, and protect" because it implies you will, for whatever reason, deny yourself ALL opportunities for romance. It's much more limiting (and probably more likely to affect gameplay).

If you want to model someone who is utterly devoted to his spouse, I would use Sense of Duty (Beloved Wife) [-2].

If you really want to milk it for points, you can make the guy annoyingly in love. You know the type; everything is "honey bunny" and "smoochy smooch." :) This could easily graduate from quirk into Odious Personal Habit. You can also add Delusion (Everything my sweetie does is adorable) [-5].

Mind you, if the GM has any stones at all, this will be taken as permission to inflict all sorts of "interesting" misfortune on the player...

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #35
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_gudman View Post
Then the spouse should probably be a social Advantage/Disadvantage; a Contact, a Patron, an Ally, a Dependent, or whatever.
All of those are valid only if the spouse gets involved in adventures in some way. I think a person could be committed to sexual fidelity to a spouse without ever having to rescue them from a villain, or go to them for funding and equipment, or fight at their side in battle.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #36
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
The wedding vows themselves aren't really worth points, in my opinion. A vow of chastity is worth -5 points, but this is not the same as a vow to simply "love, honor, and protect" because it implies you will, for whatever reason, deny yourself ALL opportunities for romance. It's much more limiting (and probably more likely to affect gameplay).
That is not what "chastity" means; you're thinking of celibacy. A vow of chastity can be served either by abstaining from sex, or by being exclusively active with one's spouse.

I don't consider the wedding vows themselves as worth any points, because people can take those and not really mean them, or not be fully committed to them. But that's true of all sorts of vows. But the disad says, "Whatever the oath, you take it seriously; if you didn't, it would not be a disadvantage." Someone who won't sleep with a person other than their spouse when they're away from home, or really, really attracted, or neglected and desperately lonely, or angry with or estranged from their spouse, or desperate for money or help, or even to save their spouse's life, is qualified for a disadvantage. And if they also have Sense of Duty (Spouse) [-2], they've got an interesting conflict in the last case, one that has been the subject of some classic novels, plays, and operas.

Bill Stoddard

Edit: When I think about it, the game effect of "chastity" in the popular careless usage of the word is that you won't/can't have sex with anyone, even if you desire them strongly and even if there would be no bad consequences. You will go through the campaign not taking advantage of sexual opportunities, or pursuing them. And the game effect of total, committed fidelity to an offstage spouse is that . . . you will go through the campaign not taking advantage of sexual opportunities, or pursuing them. I can't see that that makes enough of a difference to justify different point values.

Last edited by whswhs; 01-14-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #37
olddogtree

I think now that sense of duty-family covers it. Points-wise. Especially given the backgound and personalities of each. So adding on another disadvantage (or advantage) seems too much. What got me asking though, was the definition of a disadvantage in the main book. It lists anything that limits your freedom of choice. Even if what you are limiting yourself too is a socially good thing.
olddogtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #38
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddogtree
I think now that sense of duty-family covers it.
I think a Vow of chastity would often be concomitant to a Sense of Duty for someone taking traditional marriage vows seriously.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #39
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I think a Vow of chastity would often be concomitant to a Sense of Duty for someone taking traditional marriage vows seriously.
Often but depending on culture. There was one French case described in the book "Loyalty: the Vexing Virtue" where a man was murdered by his wife and the court let her off, not just because he was an adulterer, but because he grossly and viciously proclaimed his intention of turning his wife out and taking up with his mistress.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #40
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
But you can have a Sense of Duty to a spouse to whom you are not faithful. So "taking traditional marriage vows seriously" is an extra behavioral restriction.

Bill Stoddard

Tags
vow