Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
WhiteLily

Default LLandor the Gray's Dodge Score

P. 7 of Delivers to Go offers us Llandor the Gray. His DX is 15, HT 12. The Base Speed for the character is 7.25 which reflects a cost of 10 character points.

How then is the Dodge only a 9? Should it not be Base Speed rounded down plus 3 = 10?
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: LLandor the Gray's Dodge Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post

P. 7 of Delivers to Go offers us Llandor the Gray. His DX is 15, HT 12. The Base Speed for the character is 7.25 which reflects a cost of 10 character points.

How then is the Dodge only a 9? Should it not be Base Speed rounded down plus 3 = 10?
DX 15 and HT 12 give Basic Speed (15 + 12)/4 = 6.75. Because he uses templates "as is," he has spent another 10 points for +0.50 to Basic Speed, giving him the listed 7.25. Dodge is 3 + Basic Speed = 10 at No encumbrance. But as his equipment list notes, he has Light encumbrance; that gives -1 to Dodge, for Dodge 9.

These details are explained on p. 2, which says things like "Move is figured from Basic Move, adjusted for encumbrance" and "Any bonuses for Combat Reflexes or Enhanced Block, Dodge, or Parry have already been added. Ditto encumbrance penalties to Dodge."
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
WhiteLily

Gotcha.

It appears that he is Elven, but does not speak or understand the Elven language.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

It appears that he is Elven, but does not speak or understand the Elven language.
Yep. Everybody gets one language for free. To ease inter-party communications, that's Common for all races. Only traditionalists who never leave home are likely to take their racial language instead, and it's very unlikely for a warrior to waste points on both languages, though casters might get some value out of that.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
tbone

Quote:
Gotcha.

I've noticed, too, that the characters in the book are decidedly monolingual speakers, though a couple do have written languages. (I think these are reasonable design choices for very delve-centric character examples – there probably aren't many Elvish speakers waiting down in the depths, but moldering texts in any language are always appropriate.)

For any player taking one of those semi-multilingual characters, I'd point out that the PC can be made more social by switching the language ability from written to spoken, with no point cost change needed.

As for Llandor: Adding Elvish would of course make sense for the character, but it's kind of amusing to see him as a guy who makes a big deal of his Elvish name and heritage, yet can't understand a word of the language. : )

Side thought: If I were taking Argua or Masha as a PC, I'd probably drop 3 points somewhere to make room for spoken Orcish. That's a practical language for a party to have!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:12 PM   #6
WhiteLily

I have another one for Kromm.

Sir Yvor Gryfffyn has a shield skill of 16. Shows a block of 12 with a shield adding in combat reflexes. Should that not be 15 adding in the defense bonus of 3 for the large shield.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:44 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Sir Yvor Gryfffyn has a shield skill of 16. Shows a block of 12 with a shield adding in combat reflexes. Should that not be 15 adding in the defense bonus of 3 for the large shield.
Defense Bonus adds to all active defenses, not just to Block. However, DB isn't figured into the listed stats because the shield isn't necessarily going to be used. (Obviously, it'll always be used when blocking, but it's just more consistent to add DB to all three active defenses or to none of them.)
Old 09-09-2020, 05:44 AM   #8
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Defense Bonus adds to all active defenses, not just to Block. However, DB isn't figured into the listed stats because the shield isn't necessarily going to be used. (Obviously, it'll always be used when blocking, but it's just more consistent to add DB to all three active defenses or to none of them.)
Also, it won't apply to attacks from the non-shield side or from the rear (for those cases when a character gets a defense vs rear attack). So that's another reason to not figure it in to the stats.

That said, I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to write defenses with a split stat for shield users, like "Dodge 8/11, Parry 14/17 (Sword), Block 12/15" for Yvor. Readers could better see at a glance what the character's (usual) effective Active Defense stats are.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
Imbicatus

Of course, you can’t normally block to your non shield side or your rear, so the DB not applying to those blocks is moot.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

There are just so many situations where a shield might or might not apply that we decided it would be better not to include DB in listed active defense scores. Really, the only equipment-related adjustments to listed stats are to Move and Dodge, for encumbrance.